What's the 'Real' Population of Houston

While the official estimates have us at around 5.4 Million in the metro area, many feel that is a flawed number that underestimates the number of undocumented residents in and around the Houston area. I've heard estimates that there are actually around 7 million living in the Houston MSA. Anyone else hear this?

While the official estimates have us at around 5.4 Million in the metro area, many feel that is a flawed number that underestimates the number of undocumented citizens in and around the Houston area. I've heard estimates that there are actually around 7 million living in the Houston MSA. Anyone else hear this?

The Pew Center for Hispanic studies attempts to estimate the rate of illegal immigration at the state level and are considered the most reliable source. Having said that, everybody that is trying to market to this population knows that there's a pretty wide margin for error. Furthermore, the Census does pick up on some amount of the population of illegal aliens, as do the companies that try to estimate population growth based on Census figures, housing construction, sales, and occupancy rates, among other measures. Ultimately, even if you can estimate how many are here, it is hard to tell who is already counted and who isn't, confounding any attempts at estimates approximating the truth.

Houston's MSA is at 5.6 million now, so maybe with illegals, about 6.2 million or so. I'm just guessing.

Yeah, I have always thought the estimates for Houston's official population are too low. Additionally, I find fault with the 12M figure of estimated illegals in this country. I think it is closer to 30 million, but that is just my guestimate.

The Census Bureau does make a very concerted effort at counting illegals. Cities and states count on it because it affects their share of the federal pie.

Althought I've seen people make wild guesses and claims (often for political reasons), I've never seen any actual proof that the Census bureau's methods don't work as intended.

The Census Bureau does make a very concerted effort at counting illegals. Cities and states count on it because it affects their share of the federal pie.

Althought I've seen people make wild guesses and claims (often for political reasons), I've never seen any actual proof that the Census bureau's methods don't work as intended.

The Social Compact study from 2001 or 2002, I think, discussed a systematic tendency for Censuses to undercount Blacks and Hispanics, primarily because lots of Black and Hispanic individuals tend not to trust government workers or forms. It is widely acknowledged that these groups are undercounted.

I believe that you are correct, however, that some people throw wild opinions based on nothing out into the political arena.

• 5 months later...
The Social Compact study from 2001 or 2002, I think, discussed a systematic tendency for Censuses to undercount Blacks and Hispanics, primarily because lots of Black and Hispanic individuals tend not to trust government workers or forms. It is widely acknowledged that these groups are undercounted.

I believe that you are correct, however, that some people throw wild opinions based on nothing out into the political arena.

I don't trust anyone that shows up to my door unannounced and uninvited. That goes for relatives of mine!

Archived