Watters Creek

http://www.trademarkproperty.com/content2....0&pageid=48

Watters Creek is a mixed-use development that will include 447,000 sf of specialty retail and leisure space, 170,000 sf of office space, 285 integrated residential units, with a 135-room hotel and a nine screen cinema on 52 acres.

It's nice that so many of these new projects include hotel space. When I was younger I didn't really understand why there were so many small hotels scattered around cities, but now that I travel more I understand their value.

It's nice that so many of these new projects include hotel space. When I was younger I didn't really understand why there were so many small hotels scattered around cities, but now that I travel more I understand their value.

Can you elaborate? Sometimes I wonder if they can all survive with so many of them going up.

With our society becoming ever more mobile, more and more people are visiting smaller and smaller places. Whether it be to visit friends, relatvies, or small businesses.

Here's an example: Last fall I wanted to go visit my father's grave. He's in a very small town in New Jersey. The nearest big hotel was down near Parisppany -- a three-hour drive away. The other choices were two very run-down motels that were mostly filled with Section-8 clients, or a Days Inn in Pennsylvania. Beyond that would have put me in New York City. I ended up staying in a bed-and-breakfast just because it was close.

Although my reason for visiting was unusual, I don't think people visiting small towns is all that unusual anymore. And by "small towns" I don't necessarily mean towns that are small, especially in Texas. Suburbs need their own hotels to handle families visiting for holidays, graduations, and other events. With airfares pushing the $30 mark on some airlines (woo hoo AirTran!) people visit more. To take a Houston-metro example, why would someone visiting relatives in Sugar Land want to stay an hour away in Downtown? It makes no sense.

I see a lot more car rental places in small towns. Now I'm seeing a lot more hotels (not cheap motels) opening up in new suburbs. And just now we're starting to see smaller outer-ring airports picking up more commercial flights. Just wait until the air taxi industry takes off. It's going to change the face of travel even more.

It amazes me that people are moving to Allen and McKinney. What's next, Sherman-Denison?

Collin County grew by 207,176 between 2000 and 2006. That was a higher gain (raw gain) than Dallas County, Bexar County (San Antonio), Travis County (Austin), El Paso County, and was over 100,000 more than Montgomery County (The Woodlands/Conroe).

The migration to the North in the Metroplex is stunning. Denton (North of Fort Worth) and Collin (North of Dallas) Counties actually gained more residents than Dallas and Tarrant Counties (Tarrant is home to Fort Worth).

It amazes me that people are moving to Allen and McKinney. What's next, Sherman-Denison?

Collin County grew by 207,176 between 2000 and 2006. That was a higher gain (raw gain) than Dallas County, Bexar County (San Antonio), Travis County (Austin), El Paso County, and was over 100,000 more than Montgomery County (The Woodlands/Conroe).

The migration to the North in the Metroplex is stunning. Denton (North of Fort Worth) and Collin (North of Dallas) Counties actually gained more residents than Dallas and Tarrant Counties (Tarrant is home to Fort Worth).

Maybe you could tell those of us who aren't familiar with the Dallas area why it's such a surprise that people are moving out there?

By the way, what's Dallas' "west/Katy"-side that people are really flocking to?

It isn't surprising.

Cheap Housing + Perceived Safety + Perceived Better Schools = Success for a Developer.

After having spent a few long weekends visitng friends in their "new" McMansions in Plano, Frisco, and Allen, I can understand why so many kids in Collin County got hooked on black tar. I'd need a needle.

Archived