PASA's 2007 Klein ISD Demographic Study

Chris

Population & Survey Analysts will present the highlights of their long term demographic study at the July 10th Board Meeting. This new demographic study will allow Klein ISD to make informed decisions regarding when new schools need to be built so they can begin planning for the next Bond Referendum to be possibly held in 2008.

PASA's 2007 Klein ISD Demographic Report

has any mention been made (outside of racial purposes) as to why Klein's southern boundaries snake into Houston in the middle of two districts?

All of the KISD boundary is unincorporated Harris County. The southernmost part is inside Beltway 8.

has any mention been made (outside of racial purposes) as to why Klein's southern boundaries snake into Houston in the middle of two districts?

Klein ISD boundaries were formed in 1928. The "odd" district lines, have more to do with the school district being formed from consolidating small common schools that served local surrounding areas. Infact Klein was one of the first independent school districts in Harris County, seperate from an elected county school superintendent that headed common schools.

Klein's boundaries were not in Houston or in the middle of two districts when it was created...Houston was no where near Klein and Cy-Fair and Aldine ISD where not created at the time.

Yeah, but they pull from the back of Acres Home and that entire area was at Carver at one time before going to Klein before Klein Forest was built...obviously they drew that odd alignment for desegragation purposes..I doubt the Klein in the 1920s and 1950s pulled way out there

if you walk 1 block from Eisenhower High School, your bussed miles away to Klein Forest...makes no sense

Yeah, but they pull from the back of Acres Home and that entire area was at Carver at one time before going to Klein before Klein Forest was built...obviously they drew that odd alignment for desegragation purposes..I doubt the Klein in the 1920s and 1950s pulled way out there

if you walk 1 block from Eisenhower High School, your bussed miles away to Klein Forest...makes no sense

That's the area of the former North Houston Common School District, which Aldine, Cypress, Fairbanks and Klein split. All of that was done prior desegregation, so racial issues were not an issue...it was seperate.

It is crazy how the lines are drawn, look at the Spring ISD map...BUT that is how things worked out when the little ol' common school of Westlake, choose to consolidate with little ol' Spring, instead of Aldine. In the 1940's Fairbanks ISD debated if they wanted to join with Houston ISD or Cypress (just barely choose Cypress). That is why Cypress-Fairbanks, extends as far as it does into the Houston city limits.

I apolagize about the links not working. Like Vicman said, I think they expire. Once again hopefully this link works. When you open this link scroll down to #5 which says Reports, then click under letter A which says Population & Survey Analysts Demographic Study to Supporting Documentation. It will take you strait to the new Report. Once again I apolagize but I don't know what's up with the links.

New Link for PASA Report

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/spr...ws/4958651.html

Chronicle has an article about it. They're going to build 15 new schools including a new HS in 3 years to relieve Klein HS and allow for movement of students from the overcrowded Klein Forest over to Klein. It would seem plausible that they would make 1960 the new boundary (though page 79 of the PASA report has the new Klein boundaries crossing over 1960 into what looks like Fountainhead - IMO, if they take Fountainhead, they need to rezone Greenwood Forest as well to even out those numbers b/w Klein and Klein Forest since there's more play in the Klein enrollment with the new HS being built to relieve it). Another HS will be built in 2015 to relieve Collins and Oak.

I think PASA did a better job on this report than the first one in 2004, but there is still a few things I just don't understand. It seems like they didn't include none of the southern portion of the district. There are new Intermediate schools planned for the northwest part of the district. When those schools are built 3 other Intermediate campuses will have under 1,000 students while Wunderlich and Klein Intermediates have almost 1,500 students. It would seem fair to construct another Intermediate Campus in between the Wunderlich and Klein Zone. Even when it comes down to the Elementary planning, New Elementary schools are planned throughout the entire northern part of the district, but not one in the south portion. In 2012-2015 a number of Elementary schools in the south part of the district exceed over 1,000 students, You would think they would plan atleast 2 new Elementary schools in the south, I don't think the south portion of the district is as of a big deal as the northern portion of the district to Klein ISD. When HS#6 is built in 2013 each high school will be at or less than 3,000 students except for Klein Forest which will be at 3,567. That is not fair at all. Why does one high school in the district have to be way over capacity when the other 5 are way under capacity. I bet the southern portion of the district will become an issue at the 2008 Bond Plan. Also Klein ISD has some Elementary schools and HS #6 locations at weird places. I'm wondering will land parcels be available in some of those locations like HS#6. Overall it's a good report, but if I was a board member I would have voted against the PASA report untill 2 new Elementaries and a Intermediate School was planned in the southern portion of Klein, Overall it's a good report, the numbers look more realistic.

The Southern portion isn't growing as fast, but what they're doing is shifting over some areas zoned to the Southern portion as they relieve schools in the middle by shifting over enrollment to the new schools in the NW. When some of the kids from areas zoned to the KHS zone get rezoned to the new schools, then that will open up more room in the KHS feeder zone which will allow kids from overcrowded southern schools in areas like Woods of Wimbledon, Huntwick (KISD portion), Brandonwood, Edinburgh Estates, to feed over to Klein HS -- opening up more room at KFHS and the subsequent feeders. So rather than build new schools in an area that's not growing, they'll just begin shifting Westward.

My concern with this report that I am not impressed with is this. The intent of the PASA report wa to be a third party study of the district. It is very clear that the District has had some influence on the outcome of theis report. I think KISD just threw $70,000 in the trash on this.

The Southern portion isn't growing as fast, but what they're doing is shifting over some areas zoned to the Southern portion as they relieve schools in the middle by shifting over enrollment to the new schools in the NW. When some of the kids from areas zoned to the KHS zone get rezoned to the new schools, then that will open up more room in the KHS feeder zone which will allow kids from overcrowded southern schools in areas like Woods of Wimbledon, Huntwick (KISD portion), Brandonwood, Edinburgh Estates, to feed over to Klein HS -- opening up more room at KFHS and the subsequent feeders. So rather than build new schools in an area that's not growing, they'll just begin shifting Westward.

Yeah, Growth isn't as fast as the growth in the northern part of the district but even when all the new schools are built in 2015, Enrollment numbers are still very high for the entire southern portion of Klein ISD, especially Klein Forest High School which will be at 3,567. Personally to me I think it would be wise to plan 2 Elementaries and an Intermediate in the Klein Forest Zone.

My concern with this report that I am not impressed with is this. The intent of the PASA report wa to be a third party study of the district. It is very clear that the District has had some influence on the outcome of theis report. I think KISD just threw $70,000 in the trash on this.

Klein ISD spent $70,000 on this updated 81 page report that we could have done?

The report is actually much longer, about 3 inches thick. However, the Board allocated $70,000 to have the report made, whether they spent the entire $70K is something I don't know.

The report is actually much longer, about 3 inches thick. However, the Board allocated $70,000 to have the report made, whether they spent the entire $70K is something I don't know.

Wow, If it's 3 inches thick I wonder why would they only release 81 pages to the public?

They should go ahead and rezone Greenwood Forest along with the aforementioned neighborhoods.

Do you mean rezone Greenwood Forest Subdivision to Klein High School?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything about which neighborhoods might be re-zoned to the Spring-Cypress/Huffsmith-Kohrville high school? I'm sure Gleannloch, the Vintage neighborhoods, Charterwood -- those are fairly obvious. What about other historical Klein HS neighborhoods? We live in Memorial Northwest, and as a Klein grad, I had really hoped to send my daughter there as well.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything about which neighborhoods might be re-zoned to the Spring-Cypress/Huffsmith-Kohrville high school? I'm sure Gleannloch, the Vintage neighborhoods, Charterwood -- those are fairly obvious. What about other historical Klein HS neighborhoods? We live in Memorial Northwest, and as a Klein grad, I had really hoped to send my daughter there as well.

Well of course that school will open in 2010, so construction should start next year. Subdivisions who lie east of the SH 249/Huffsmith Korhville District Border, South of FM 2920, West of Stuebner Airline, north of Spring Cypress for about 2 miles and then north of Louetta will attend the new High School. The new HS #5 will consume about 48% of the current Klein HS Zone and about 44% of the current Klein Oak HS Zone. By looking at the maps Gleannloch Farms and Memorial Northwest could be split between Klein HS and HS #5. It seems like the west Klein HS border is 1/4 mile west of Champion Forest Dr. In the center of both those subdivisions lie Champion Forest Dr. Louetta Road is also a south border for the new HS #5. Vintage Lakes Subdivision will go to HS#5, but depending on numbers Klein could change their mind at any time due to the fact that it could go either way. To sum it all up everyone currently attending Klein HS that lives south of Spring Cypress, west of Champion Forest, north of Louetta and east of SH 249 will attend HS #5.

I haven't chimed in for several months but here I go...

I too looked at this report and noticed that it appears they intend to take Fountainhead over to Klein and leave Greenwood Forest at Klein Forest, I can only assume they need the tax money from the 1,600 homeowners, including myself in Greenwood Forest. As a homeowner in Greenwood Forest, the only complaint is the High School, during the last bond the homeowners south of 1960 voted it down, it was passed by everyone north of 1960. As neighbors we talk and usually we discuss our homes, the neighborhood and the schools. I hope that someone from Klein is viewing this post, I for one will not vote on any more bonds for the district and I know many of my neighbors will not be voting yes on any tax increase, I know many of you won't agree with that. However, when you are paying $3,000 in taxes each year to Klein ISD and your homes value isn't increasing by that much each year it becomes an issue. Greenwood Forest HOA hosted a Town Hall meeting for the homeowners a few months back, we had a Klein ISD teacher raise her concerns about Klein Forest and it's reputation in the community, this was a Teacher!. This tells me Klein is very much in the know to the opinions and feelings of its taxpayers and the community and chooses to avoid the matter.

My neighbor and myself were discussing the school this evening and she wants to take her daughter out of KF and enroll her in a private school, other homeowners are simply putting their homes on the market and leaving... and yes it IS because of the school. It is sad to think that you pay thousands of dollars every year to a school that you don't feel comfortable sending your children too.

Greenwood Forest is a beautiful subdivision zoned to a school with a negative reputation with kids being bussed in from outside the neighborhood. What they should have done was to create a high school in Acres Homes instead of sending Acres Homes to Klein Forest. Klein should look at taking better care of it's older and loyal neighborhoods as well as the new ones.

On on side note, thank you Mr. Football for always thinking of Greenwood Forest and 1960 area, your heart is in the right place.

I love Greenwood Forest. I used to live on Lodge Creek from the early 1970's until the early 1980's. Greenwood Grizzlies, Greenwood Green Machine, YMCA Soccer, Spring-Klein Little League Football...Super Bowls between the areas reigning juggernauts, the Ponderosa Cowboys and the Klein Jets. Spent my youth there. Still have lifelong friends. A lot of original owners are still there. It is still a nice neighborhood, its a shame what happened to the HS...same deal happened to Ponderosa...both wonderful neighborhoods to this day. I'd like to see it re-zoned, it'll help out Klein Forest by relieving the crowded classrooms, lowering the student/teacher ratios and giving the kids more individual attention, while making the residents of Greenwood Forest happy as well.

How could the district rezone Greenwood Forest Subdivision to Klein HS and Klein Forest HS sits in Greenwood Forest. Wouldn't that be like zoning the Northampton Subdivision to Klein Collins HS and Klein Oak HS is right across the street. Also What reputation does Klein Forest HS have?

How could the district rezone Greenwood Forest Subdivision to Klein HS and Klein Forest HS sits in Greenwood Forest. Wouldn't that be like zoning the Northampton Subdivision to Klein Collins HS and Klein Oak HS is right across the street.

It's been done before and by practical standards, should be done here as there won't be another HS built in the Southern part of the district, all that can be done to reach optimum enrollment levels is to shift boundaries westward - which is what they're proposing to do. Common sense solution.

Also What reputation does Klein Forest HS have?

The kind of reputation where they had to come up with a kooky concept like "A School Within a School" just to protect the kids that actually wanted to learn.

It's been done before and by practical standards, should be done here as there won't be another HS built in the Southern part of the district, all that can be done to reach optimum enrollment levels is to shift boundaries westward - which is what they're proposing to do. Common sense solution.

The kind of reputation where they had to come up with a kooky concept like "A School Within a School" just to protect the kids that actually wanted to learn.

When has that kind of zoning been done before in Klein ISD?

It was Westfield before Westfield was.

I don't believe Klein Forest HS is as rough as Westfield, Klein Forest may be in the southern portion of Klein ISD but it's still a decent school that has won just as many awards just like the other 3 KISD High Schools.

Archived