Burying the N word

musicman

As a child of the '60s, Tammie Campbell endured an era when white residents frequently used the N-word to degrade black people.

Local rapper D-Red knows the word's hateful history but says it's now just a hip-hop expression and a term of endearment.

Those two thoughts about one of the most divisive racial epithets in America are at the center of an extraordinary movement in recent months: to abolish the N-word from our lexicon.

Campbell, 48, is leading a diverse Houston-area group focused on eradicating the term's usage and teaching its history. They are hosting an unusual event at 9 a.m. today at a Pearland cemetery to ''bury the N-word" in a coffin.

"This word wasn't created by blacks," said Campbell, the former president of the Missouri City NAACP. "It was created by whites. They have a responsibility as well as blacks

As a child of the '60s, Tammie Campbell endured an era when white residents frequently used the N-word to degrade black people.

Local rapper D-Red knows the word's hateful history but says it's now just a hip-hop expression and a term of endearment.

Those two thoughts about one of the most divisive racial epithets in America are at the center of an extraordinary movement in recent months: to abolish the N-word from our lexicon.

Campbell, 48, is leading a diverse Houston-area group focused on eradicating the term's usage and teaching its history. They are hosting an unusual event at 9 a.m. today at a Pearland cemetery to ''bury the N-word" in a coffin.

"This word wasn't created by blacks," said Campbell, the former president of the Missouri City NAACP. "It was created by whites. They have a responsibility as well as blacks

Guest Marty

It's not about banning the N word it's about respecting your self! She wants the" American /African" community to stop calling each other the N word.

Sadly, all they will be doing is wasting a perfectly good coffin. I say that only because their ceremony isn't going to change the rappers who influence America's youth - both black & white.

You want to kill the N-word? Get through to the rappers.

White people invented the word, but the Black people have accepted it, and ran with it to make lots of money with that word. White people have taken responsiblity for it, you can only apologize for it so many times, then the offended take the apology as just another trick by the whitedevil, and claim that we aren't sincere about it, so we quit apologizing for it, then the fingers are pointed as the whiteman being unsympathetic and unapologetic. When we truly have sympathy, and truly are sorry that now the black people can't accept the apology and move on. Some Black leaders have finally recognized where the problem with the N-word lies now, and have taken up the cause to end it where it is actually being abused now.

Sadly, all they will be doing is wasting a perfectly good coffin. I say that only because their ceremony isn't going to change the rappers who influence America's youth - both black & white.

You want to kill the N-word? Get through to the rappers.

Amen! ...and Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock.

As much as I can't stand that word... and when people say it around me I always cringe... you can't ban words... we have a thing called "free speech". If you ban that word then a million others are going to want other words banned. What a rediculous idea. <_<

As stated its just trying to get the black community together and stop using the word. I dont use it myself and hate to hear it.

On the other hand "free speach" can get you in a lot of trouble. There are many things you can't say without repercussion.

Like the most obvious one "bomb". If you said what you really wanted to say sometimes at work you may not have a job either.

Or maybe its just at my job? lol

Here's an interesting side note about this...

I saw the "funeral" in Detroit. There was an earlier one in Philadelphia. Naturally, all of the local newspapers, television, and radio stations covered it. The difference in the coverage was that the newspapers all printed the word, while the television stations did not speak it (I don't know what radio did).

One news anchor has been suspended over this. He made the point in the newsroom that it's ridiculous to provide coverage of the event without naming the guest of honor. He pointed out that all of the newspapers printed it, and that it is only journalistically sound to buck political correctness in favor of accuracy, truth, and completeness. He's no longer on the air. I don't know for how long.

Now look at all of the previous posts in this thread. Look at how all of the posters have self-censored. Yes, there's a filter for that word built into the forum, but it hasn't been triggered. Of course, now some smart-alec is going to post it on purpose, but that just shows how we've become as a society -- afraid to say something unless given permission or double dog dared.

Editor, I disagree that anyone here who has posted on this subject is AFRAID, or needs to ask permission to say it or type it. The thing is that it is not warranted here, and none of us typed it out of respect. I don't throw the N-word around just willy nilly, that word has a specific purpose, and that purpose is to illicit a response of hatred. As a human being, I don't hate my fellow man, no matter what pigment his/her skin may be.

Editor, I disagree that anyone here who has posted on this subject is AFRAID, or needs to ask permission to say it or type it. The thing is that it is not warranted here, and none of us typed it out of respect. I don't throw the N-word around just willy nilly, that word has a specific purpose, and that purpose is to illicit a response of hatred. As a human being, I don't hate my fellow man, no matter what pigment his/her skin may be.

"cum ba ya, my lord..cum ba ya"........... :lol: Sorry I couldn't resist!

"cum ba ya, my lord..cum ba ya"........... :lol: Sorry I couldn't resist!

LOL! HEY!...........................That's my line !

Hey editor, does the word block come into play if I PM somebody ? Just curious.

I saw the "funeral" in Detroit. There was an earlier one in Philadelphia. Naturally, all of the local newspapers, television, and radio stations covered it. The difference in the coverage was that the newspapers all printed the word, while the television stations did not speak it (I don't know what radio did).

One news anchor has been suspended over this. He made the point in the newsroom that it's ridiculous to provide coverage of the event without naming the guest of honor. He pointed out that all of the newspapers printed it, and that it is only journalistically sound to buck political correctness in favor of accuracy, truth, and completeness. He's no longer on the air. I don't know for how long.

Now look at all of the previous posts in this thread. Look at how all of the posters have self-censored. Yes, there's a filter for that word built into the forum, but it hasn't been triggered. Of course, now some smart-alec is going to post it on purpose, but that just shows how we've become as a society -- afraid to say something unless given permission or double dog dared.

Im not afraid nor need permission. I just dont do it out of respect for my fellow man. Its a slur, be it black, mexican, homosexual, japansese, korean, ect... I just dont do it because as a black man I know how it feels to be called a racial slur or a derogatory term. Its just the right thing to do as a person and my parents brought me up knowing that as well.

As a black person living in this country, I find the word offensive ... if anyone knows the true history of this country and how that word was used through the ages to demean and humiliate people, you would think twice about using it. That goes for blacks or whites.

I do not use the word and chastise those people in my sphere of influence that do.

The answer to your question is yes!

Thank You kind sir.............good to know, good to know. Hey Mark just another week, and the Beast will be back in action. I am starting to have withdrawls from not being able to drive my car.

Things like this REALLY annoy me. The history of the word is not demeaning throughout the ages. In fact, the origin of the word was very simple, negar. The word "black" in the language of the traders at the time. It wasn't meant to be derogatory, it was merely an adjective. It was no different than us saying black today.

That said, the word has garnered a negative connotation because of its furthered use by ignorant people. It eventually became the word we are familiar with today.

Here is my issue. You cannot have a word that is acceptable for one group of society to use and not acceptable for another. I'd love to see the word removed from daily use for the reason that I want to see yet another double standard die.

The argument that "we were persecuted for four hundred years gives us the right to use it and forbids you to use it" is utter crap. I get demeaned quite often by words that aren't forbidden for people to use. In fact, the words are used quite often on TV, in music, in movies as humor and to put others down. But there is no double standard applied to it as with the N word.

As a society, we either need to remove any power we give to the word to hurt or remove the word completely. It cannot be both ways. The word being ok for some and not for others only fuels animosity and divides society.

Webster's dictionary has changed the meaning of the word since the last time I actually looked it up, which was sometime around 1987 or so. I clearly remember reading then that it meant "a person of extreme ignorance and stupidity", it did NOT define color or to which race of people, or class of people, just ignorant people. Webster's has now clearly defined the who and to which manner it pertains to.

In my 1966 "The American College Dictionary" it says: a member of any dark-skinned race.

I was trying to remember more about it also Marty, and it was actually about 1989 in my college library, and it was a much older dictionary, even older than 1966, I believe it was around a 1936 version, that was under the new version on a pedestal stand. The newer version may have referred to color, but the older one that I was looking through did not, and if it did, I did not see it. I did not look throught the newer version sitting there.

The American Heritage Dictionary's (2005) entry about the "N" word:

______ |ˈnigər| noun offensive a contemptuous term for a black or dark-skinned person. ORIGIN late 17th cent.(as an adjective): from earlier neger, from French n

For many it is not spoken for PC reasons. If not for PC, it would again be freely thrown around. Stupidity and ignorance is built into our culture so we really shouldn't be so shocked when people of all colors use epitaphs that are so easily allowed among themselves. I find "faggot" and "queer" to be especially insulting as much as some Hispanics find "spic" repulsive; as much as a black man or woman might see the derogatory "______" as repulsive. The list goes on forever. I suppose it's all a matter of personal choice. I just choose not to be an ill-mannered lout throwing around degrading epitaphs unless it's in the context of a discussion such as this. Otherwise in my book it's just not done-PC or not.

Edit:

["______"] courtesy of the editor. I choose to not insult the forum's intelligence so I spelled it out in my original post. I guess the editor has no problem with the equally repulsive faggot, queer and spic...

Guest Marty

Here's another word in my 1966 dictionary.

white man's burden, the alleged duty of the white race to care for and educate ignorant or uncivilized peoples, esp. subject peoples, of other races.

Just to clarify my actions. Because I did not want to insult the intelligence of the forum's participants, in my original post taken from the American Heritage Dictionary I spelled out all of the works including the derogatory terms referring to African Americans and gay and lesbians. The term referring to African Americans was edited by someone else and replaced with "__________" (I assume it was the editor), but the term referring to gays and lesbians was not striken and replaced with "________".

Guest Marty

I don't think you insulted anybody on the forum by posting a definition out of the dictionary. this forum is generally considered PG but if you cuss like a sailor the board deletes the words automatically.

As I'm sure you know, broadcast journalists are held to a stricter standard by the FCC than print journalists, who are protected by the first amendment and largely self-governing.

Also, regarding the "faggot" issue -- racial discrimination is legally prohibited in the US. Right or wrong, it is not legally prohibited to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation. For now, at least, the government still thinks we can decide for ourselves whether to call a faggot a faggot. In fact, it often seems like they encourage it.

["______"] courtesy of the editor. I choose to not insult the forum's intelligence so I spelled it out in my original post. I guess the editor has no problem with the equally repulsive faggot, queer and spic...

At what point should Editor stop censoring? I think he's gone too far already. I'd rather have no censoring and instead just have conscientious posters who report obsene or unappropriate content. Let the moderators deal with it on a case by case basis. Otherwise, with enough complaints all our posts will just be underscored lines with conjuctions in between.

At what point should Editor stop censoring? I think he's gone too far already. I'd rather have no censoring and instead just have conscientious posters who report obsene or unappropriate content. Let the moderators deal with it on a case by case basis. Otherwise, with enough complaints all our posts will just be underscored lines with conjuctions in between.

I believe it is a G forum.

Couple of observations.

1) I agree with Jeebus. At a certain point, nothing can be said without everything being censored. This is a voluntary public internet forum. It is not a school forum, nor a children's forum. It is also moderated, both by moderators and members. Crude language, just for the sake of being crude, can be deleted. A discussion of crude language is entirely different.

2) Several of the responses on this topic appear to have either not read the original article, or misunderstood its intent. These "burials" are not aimed at non-blacks' use of the term. Society has effectively made use of the term in a derogatory manner by non-blacks a no-no. It is the use of the term by Blacks as a term of endearment or regular conversation that troubles this group. They fear that the glorification of such an insidious oppressive term risks elevating its status to acceptable language. The N-word, along with b_tch and Ho' are demeaning, and they seek to draw attention to this fact by raising awareness in the Black community. It is no different than Bill Cosby's famous tirades that Blacks should not accept victim status, and are laregely responsible for their own well-being.

Archived