eliminating mosquitos in my yard

Not sure if this topic has been discussed before but I was wondering what people have found effective for eliminating or at least decreasing the amount of mosquitos in their yard. I unfortunately get attacked by them every time I go outside and get huge welts. I have seen some products at Home Depot but not sure what works. I think they are bug zappers with mosquito attractant. My yard is about a half acre in the Inwood Forest area. Thanks for any thoughts.

I've been getting swarmed by them constantly from all of the rain lately. I finally purchased the Black Flag Fogger from Home Depot. It only cost $65. It runs on a propane canister and is supposed to clear the area for several hours. While not 100% effective, it drastically reduces the number of mosquitos. After fogging my yard, the swarms disappear for awhile. Instead of dozens of bites, I only get bitten once or twice. If the wind is not blowing, it is more effective, as a breeze blows the fog away.

I recommend it as a low cost solution. The spray cans are very expensive. The bug zappers suck, and the attractant costs $500. OFF is good, but of course, you will then stink. The fogger comes with a pint of insecticide that lasts for a few months. Obviously, eliminating standing water is important, but I realize how tough that is when it rains 29 of the last 36 days. I am fighting that battle as we speak.

Red, you can reuse that canister, or one of those pump sprayer canisters and fill it with Cedar oil, and spray your yard. It is VERY effective. Try to find the puddles around your house also, and pour some oil into them.

I don't have to try very hard to find the puddles. :(

The peopane canisters I speak of are the ones used for camp stoves. They cost a couple of bucks. As for pouring oil in puddles in my yard, call me a tree hugger, but, no. My dog occasionally likes to play survivalist and drink from those puddles. I've been playing amatuer hydrologist for the last 5 weeks. Every time it rains, I stand outside and watch where the water comes from, where it goes, where it collects. I am moving some dirt around to get the water to go where I want it, and installing some drainage to take it out to the ditch. I do not have flooding problems, just that the yard is somewhat uneven in spots.

Frankly, I kind of enjoy this man against nature battle that I have undertaken. ^_^

Cedar oil is fine. Believe it or not, I have had people actually recommend motor oil!

My bigger problem seems to be that the water is trying to drain away into the neighbors' yards. That is fine if that is the natural course, but it pools up in their yard. Needless to say, THEIR mosquitos are not respecting the property lines. So, I am attempting to lessen the amount of water going into their yards, since they aren't doing anything about it.

Cedar oil is fine. Believe it or not, I have had people actually recommend motor oil!

My bigger problem seems to be that the water is trying to drain away into the neighbors' yards. That is fine if that is the natural course, but it pools up in their yard. Needless to say, THEIR mosquitos are not respecting the property lines. So, I am attempting to lessen the amount of water going into their yards, since they aren't doing anything about it.

Who do those mosquitos think they are, infringing on the property lines ?!?!

I hear ya about the water pooling though. I am fixin to have to spend some bucks to get ANOTHER french drain put in on the left side of my property.

• 6 months later...

Hope its not too late to offer a suggestion. After trying nearly everything under the sun from organic to chemical, I have found that Spectracide Triazicide Once & Done! Insect Killer Concentrate (http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/OutdoorInsecticide/TriazicideSoilTurfConcentrates/)

works the best. I live right by Buffalo Bayou and get tons of skeeters. When I spray it usually lasts a good 3 weeks of no mosquitoes, depending on the time of year. Sometimes only 2 weeks at the height of it.

Red I put Skin So Soft in my fogger and it did wonders, smells great too. I order it by the case, and it's cheaper than any pesticide. I also spray the animals with it Dogs Horses and the lot, I use a normal bug sprayer, they love it, or so it seems. I hand apply it around the face area on them and it keeps the gnats away from there eyes too. I really think it works on the fleas also. Something in it, I assume the fragrance is a natural bug repellent.

• 4 months later...
Hope its not too late to offer a suggestion. After trying nearly everything under the sun from organic to chemical, I have found that Spectracide Triazicide Once & Done! Insect Killer Concentrate (http://www.spectracide.com/ProductCategories/OutdoorInsecticide/TriazicideSoilTurfConcentrates/)

works the best. I live right by Buffalo Bayou and get tons of skeeters. When I spray it usually lasts a good 3 weeks of no mosquitoes, depending on the time of year. Sometimes only 2 weeks at the height of it.

Why is there price at the link? I guess I can find this at home depot?

We've used Monster Mosquito spray systems twice now.

This last house was $2800 for the backyard...and its a big back yard. It makes an AMAZING difference. Costs about 150 every 3-4 months to refill and we never have run the system November- March. And being that we area cross the street from Buffalo Bayou, you better believe we had a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The dragonflies out where I live are socking it to the mosquitoes. But, alas, I guess there are just too many because there are some JUMBO mosquitoes floating around. And they are mean, and hungry.

Ouch!

I almost lost control of my car when one of those bastardos bit me in the neck. Really felt like a needle pin, what in the hell! :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if this topic has been discussed before but I was wondering what people have found effective for eliminating or at least decreasing the amount of mosquitos in their yard. I unfortunately get attacked by them every time I go outside and get huge welts. I have seen some products at Home Depot but not sure what works. I think they are bug zappers with mosquito attractant. My yard is about a half acre in the Inwood Forest area. Thanks for any thoughts.

I've found the Cutter yard spray (the one you attach to your hose, not the fogger) works pretty well. It says it works up to 4 weeks, though in Houston I think 2 weeks is more fair. Keeping your lawn mowed and having as few bushes as possible helps too.

I have also found, paradoxically, that having a fish pond seems to keep mosquitos down in my yard. I keep native sailfin mollies (have a nice breeding population now) in the pond (along with various cichlid species including Texas cichlids) and though the mosquitos seem to think the pond is a great place to lay eggs, little do they know that the fish gobble their children up faster than they can become adults. The pond also attracts dragonflies. I get the most beautiful neon blue and neon red ones.

I have also found, paradoxically, that having a fish pond seems to keep mosquitos down in my yard. I keep native sailfin mollies (have a nice breeding population now) in the pond (along with various cichlid species including Texas cichlids) and though the mosquitos seem to think the pond is a great place to lay eggs, little do they know that the fish gobble their children up faster than they can become adults. The pond also attracts dragonflies. I get the most beautiful neon blue and neon red ones.

That's the only thing I miss about having a house. Problem was Home Depot was my second home.

There have been some real scary skeeters lately. These are big, black and the size of tiny spiders. When I see people try to smash them they seem to squeeze away and keep aiming at the person. Some get smashed and hang on to the person skin or clothes as if to flip its wing off at you in defiance.

They should make a horror flick of "Attack of The Killer Mosquitoes" and film on location in these here parts y'all. :blink:

• 7 years later...

To Sarahiki: Skin so soft from avon is great for face. It does not contain deet, so it won't kill mosquitoes but it will repel them. My grandbaby was being swarmed and my doctor told me about the skin so soft. Gentle enough to rub some on the neck and forehead and such. It comes from the citronella plant. It definitely kept them away from her. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2008 at 9:45 AM, moni said:

Bats will eliminate mosquitoes if you provide houses for them.

Let's see.........bats or mosquitoes. I don't like those choices, is there another alternative that flies?

Talk about choosing the lesser of two evils. Like......... Trump or Clinton?

5 hours ago, Hastings said:

Let's see.........bats or mosquitoes. I don't like those choices, is there another alternative that flies?

Talk about choosing the lesser of two evils. Like......... Trump or Clinton?

LOL. That is the first time I've heard Trump and Clinton being compared to bats and mosquitoes but I can see how you got to that comparison. 

Archived