Sheraton-Lincoln Hotel At 711 Polk St.

Disastro

Why?

In studying the history of politics or religion, we emphasize the shepherd rather than the sheep. The effects are studied relative to the causes. This is not so in architectural history, where in too many cases, we ascribe the property of "historical" to something that isn't. An old but otherwise run-of-the-mill bungalow or a brick warehouse are perceived by many as important and as worthy of historical preservation even if there was absolutely nothing unique about them in the context of their times. I posit that a "historical" structure is not designated as such merely on account of age, but primarily on the basis of occurrences there.

For instance, the Texas School Book Depository Building in Dallas, from which Oswald shot JFK...that's historic. Not because it is old, but because it was there and was elemental in the assassination. ...even if accidentally so. It should be preserved.

I stated that I will miss this building, not that I want it preserved. The reason is personal. It always seemed to crop up somehow in a project that I was working on, was frequently in the background (and a few times in the foreground) of my skyline photos, and was a dull contrast to an otherwise shiny and clean cityscape. It seemed an exception to most every rule and always had to be explained around. It's an oddball. I've driven past it daily for the better part of eight years, and I'm just a little sentimental is all. It seems like there will be a hole there, in the skyline, for a long time.

• Like 3

With the way they're doing the demo, I wouldn't be surprised if they are. Most of the exterior windows would probably have to be melted down, though.

Is recycling the material like scrap metal, where there's a profit in it, or is simply for "green" reasons?

Is recycling the material like scrap metal, where there's a profit in it, or is simply for "green" reasons?

Every little bit the recycle is that much less they have to pay to haul off to the landfillis is basically money in their pockets. metal, steel, glass, and concrete can not only be recycled, but can give a decent amount of cash for it.

People or companies aren't green unless there is something to be gained by it.

I'll miss this building.

Yeah, me too. This has always been one of favorite buildings downtown, to the point of being obsessional about it. More than just the mid-century style, the proportions are fantastic. It must have seemed so elegant and futuristic when it was new. When it was boarded up, but before it was gutted, I was even able to break in a couple of times to do some urban exploring. :ph34r:

The windows are almost all taken out now, exposing the safety orange columns. A huge hole is now where the black tar paper was exposed in the above photos. I'll upload my pics at a later date.

Too bad they couldn't have built a pkg garage across the street to abut the firewall of the Wedge tower.

This site will most likely be the site of another skyscraper someday. They're putting in a underground parking garage, we know. But if this is going to be a high rise again some day, what is the most likely scenario to play out?:

1. Build the garage with no plans for the future. In the future, destroy the garage and build a skyscraper.

2. Build the garage with the necessary elements that a future skyscraper would need underground. In the future, build they scraper.

If the second is true, what elements would have to be included in the design of the garage? Would we be able to notice from aerial photos others might take from neighboring buildings?

related article:

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/01-10-11-the-wrecking-ball-sets-up-downtown-houstons-future-and-the-top-ranked-real-estate-investment-you-never-thought-of/

This site will most likely be the site of another skyscraper someday. They're putting in a underground parking garage, we know. But if this is going to be a high rise again some day, what is the most likely scenario to play out?:

1. Build the garage with no plans for the future. In the future, destroy the garage and build a skyscraper.

2. Build the garage with the necessary elements that a future skyscraper would need underground. In the future, build they scraper.

If the second is true, what elements would have to be included in the design of the garage? Would we be able to notice from aerial photos others might take from neighboring buildings?

related article:

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/01-10-11-the-wrecking-ball-sets-up-downtown-houstons-future-and-the-top-ranked-real-estate-investment-you-never-thought-of/

I'd be willing to bet that no skyscraper is built here for decades, so there would be no point in designing a garage around a potential future building design.

Given the dominance of parking, both surface lot and in garages, in the southern part of downtown, I think that the city should designate the area as the "Parking District". Then they could disseminate lots of bogus statistics, like "This is the largest designated parking district in the United States," or "The Parking District has more parking places than any other American city except Los Angeles." They could even erect special Parking District street signs with illustrations of local car parks, so tourists would know where they were.

• Like 6

I'd be willing to bet that no skyscraper is built here for decades, so there would be no point in designing a garage around a potential future building design.

EDIT: nm, I thought they were building an underground parking garage, but I just found out there already is one and they're preserving it. my bad

Edited by lockmat

Given the dominance of parking, both surface lot and in garages, in the southern part of downtown, I think that the city should designate the area as the "Parking District". Then they could disseminate lots of bogus statistics, like "This is the largest designated parking district in the United States," or "The Parking District has more parking places than any other American city except Los Angeles." They could even erect special Parking District street signs with illustrations of local car parks, so tourists would know where they were.

Hahahahaha The Parking District idea, even though its ridiculous, I can actually see. But I beg to differ on the idea that no skyscrapers would be built here for decades. If the right types of development are orchestrated around the city, enough to shift population and business to Houston, more companies would be willing to lease office space in the CBD. But it will take some years, but decades, as in 40+ years, I dont think so. Not if the right people step up to change the way the city if perceived across the country and the world.

Hahahahaha The Parking District idea, even though its ridiculous, I can actually see. But I beg to differ on the idea that no skyscrapers would be built here for decades. If the right types of development are orchestrated around the city, enough to shift population and business to Houston, more companies would be willing to lease office space in the CBD. But it will take some years, but decades, as in 40+ years, I dont think so. Not if the right people step up to change the way the city if perceived across the country and the world.

I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the way that Houston is perceived across the country, but I do think that decades is the right time span to look for development of a lot of space downtown. Many blocks used for street parking have already been vacant for decades. The Sheraton itself has been empty for almost a quarter century.

Maybe we should start identifying downtown eye sores and START SPECULATING!!! ;)

"We can now raise rents there because 1201 Louisiana has a view now," Paul Layne, an executive with Brookfield, told an industry group earlier this week.

He also said Brookfield is working with the city on getting incentives to tear down and redevelop other abandoned eyesores downtown.

He was light on specifics, but in a follow up interview he said that financial assistance from the city would be welcome.

"We're hoping this will part of the first of a number of opportunities that the city would have to rid itself of derelict properties," he said.

While the city hasn't made any commitments yet, the discussions are ongoing, said Andy Icken, the city's chief development officer.

"We're exploring ideas of what's been done in other cities, but we don't have a plan yet," Icken said.

http://blogs.chron.com/primeproperty/2011/01/demolition_of_downtown_eyesore.html

• Like 1

Was this building ever considered for residential conversion? It seems the narrow floorplates and operable windows would have made it a good apartment/condo tower (especially if there was attached parking).

I believe the vast majority of the building had low ceilings.

The building was re-planned as a hotel on a few occasions, but never as condos as far as I'm aware. The lower ceilings were in the hotel section on the upper floors. The lower floors were offices and had higher ceilings.

Interesting. I didn't know about the different ceiling heights, but now looking at the photo the difference is clear. Low ceiling heights are one issue with converting the Dallas Statler-Hilton into apartments/condos.But not everyone wants/needs a very high ceiling.

• 2 weeks later...

They have a crane up now and most all of the windows are out. The lower concrete floors are exposed through the hole they punched in it to install the tower crane.

It will be interesting to see how fast it comes down.

I hope very fast... it is causing a nightmare on Louisiana street (one of the main roads in downtown)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bceebddd75d429086c47d7c672ddd301_large.jpg

I think I'll post a picture every two weeks.... This one is from 3.31.11... They have cut off everything above where the safety nets were- I think that's five floors in a month's time.

So, it 3 or 4 months, no more Sheraton Lincoln.

( j need to get a flikr acct... the people I'm using is more of a photoblag, so they kill hotlinks after a while...)