What Is Wrong With East Houston

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

article regarding "block busting" in Houston

This article was written by Richard Evans, who at one time in his rich life, was a spectacular Civics teacher at Westbury High School. He inspired blacks and whites alike to enter into public service, politics and other related careers. In short, he inspired people to "GET INVOLVED!" It just give me chills knowing that I ran across this article he wrote, I often wondered what he was doing these days. If only we had more teachers like Mr. Evans out there! :wub:

A poetic essay about east Houston in the 60's

a little background on Zoning in Houston

I guess I tend to get what's going on in the 3rd Ward. My take is that there are many in the 3rd Ward to realize that their neighborhood is an imperfect one. While I'm sure all want to improve the area, they don't want to do so at the risk of erasing the cultural identity of the 3rd Ward. Perhaps they're all too familiar with how many developers are razing any buidling, regarding of historical or cultural signifance, to put up bland and generic townhouses and McMansions.

Perhaps they don't want to see this:

eldoradooldphoto.jpg

...replaced by this:

360513.townhome.jpg

I'm about as conservative as they come but I really hate how this town is wiping out neighborhoods and replacing them with McMansions, cheap apartments and bland Perry Homes townhouses.

It's not just that they know about gentrification in other cities... they know about gentrification in HOUSTON.

Has anyone ever wondered why Antioch Church sits in the middle of the Allen Center? Doesn't it seem strange that the city's oldest African-American Church would be surrounded by the Allen Center?

Well, not if you know Houston't history. At one time Freedmen's Town was considered the Harlem of the South. It was booming. Here's a list of things that have been destroyed by white developers at the expense of ALL of us because we lost our history for things like the Gulf Freeway (cut the 4th Ward in half), the San Felipe Courts (later called Allen Pkwy Village) which only allowed white residents, the Allen Center, the old Music Hall, the Albert Thomas Convention Center (Bayou Place), and a few others...

The original 1866 Antioch Missionary Baptist Church

The Gregory School (first black school in the county)

Houston Central College for Negroes

Pilgrim Life Building

4 of the original Rev. Jack Yates structures

Union Hospital for Negroes (built in 1910)

Carnegie Library for Negroes

Hell, even a cemetary was dug up in order to build the San Felipe Courts!

The Pilgrim Life Building was described as the most beautiful building constructed and owned by blacks West of the Mississippi. It housed office space for black professionals (at one time, all but 1 black doctor and 3 out of every 4 black lawyers lived in the 4th Ward), had a giant ballroom, a community/cultural center, and even a rooftop roller rink! It was destroyed to build a Freeway!

I might not know alot about Houston because this place is so sooo big and i'm still relatively new here but i can only comment on what i see out of the eastside when i actually have to get off the E 610 loop and go to Lakewood Church every Sunday. That portion off E 610 and North Wayside Drive is horrible!!!! Third Ward is definitely not the most sparkling neighborhood in the city and it is ghetto, but at least you see a presence of cultural identity that doesn't tend to exist in many parts of the city. Although, i have seen Third Ward somewhat shape up a little bit from when i was down here back in 93 visiting my grandmother. To be honest, Third Ward is part of the reason that i chose to go to school in Houston because of the culture concentration. It is innercity and has a very important poece of History to it that helps somewhat shape Houston to what it is today. I read that Texas Southern University (The school i attend) was the only college that blacks could attend because they were excluded from University of Houston due to racial discrimination. See this stuff, historical things is very important to me. Not because i'm black, but because i have a big appreciation for places like these that can sustain such a big feel of cultural identity. I think the areas that really need shaping up is North Telephone Road and Leeland (Second Ward, i think). That area is so depressing, with way worse-shaped streets than anything you would ever see in Third Ward. The area is dominated by hispanics. Oh and 27, you did make a good point in your post and i understand how you feel about certain lifestyles. Third Ward should be regentrified but sometimes having some sort of historical significance to a city's core is what alot of these people in Third Ward seem to be worried about. I live in the heart of Third Ward at TSU, sadly a beautiful girl who went here was murdered a few months ago. But other than that, i have much love for the place.

I've tried to stay out of this argument because what I say won't change anyone's minds. These are all serious issues and ones that people tend to be very opinionated about - to the point where getting someone to totally change their views can be nearly impossible.

For the record - KinkaidAlum - I applaud your posts above and agree with you 100% in many ways. And Project Rowhouse is one of the greatest redevelopment programs in this city in many ways.

As for the issue of de facto segregation in schools and neighborhoods, whites are just as much to blame here as anyone else. Have you ever heard the term "white flight," that is, the fleeing of middle class whites to new suburbs and undeveloped areas because of the perceived threat of minorities moving into their old neighborhoods? It's alive in well in Houston as well as every other major city and is as much at fault for neighborhoods not being racially integrated as African Americans and Hispanics saying they don't want their neighborhoods being bought up by developers. I don't think that any of us, as outsiders who did not grow up in those neighborhoods, can really understand where those who don't want to sell out are coming from. I'm sorry, but judging others and telling them how they should live their lives, based on your values and your life experiences is WRONG. It's the very reason many minority groups in this country - and I mean minority here to include not only racial and ethnic minorities but also those who are minorities by means of sexual orientation, gender identity, and religious belief - continue to feel alienated and not a part of the greater society as a whole. Some of you may think that building new, expensive houses in this area is a great thing. You might even be wanting to buy one of those houses, but only if the "poor blacks" who live there now are gone. And you might justify it by saying that those people would be able to buy a nicer home with the money they got from selling out. However, developers want to buy property at the cheapest possible price. In many cases they claim to be giving someone a good deal on their old shotgun house they've lived in for 50 years, but the good deal is only for the developer. The money developers pay people for these houses is often not enough for them to purchase adequate housing in another neighborhood, and someone who was living in a house they worked their entire life to buy is now forced to rent from an unscrupulous landlord. Think it doesn't happen that way? It does. And so many times developers with loads of money and legal resources take advantage of people with little education who don't have the resources to know that they're being taken advantage of. That's why these residents are fighting back. But I think none of us, unless we've walked in their shoes and lived in their neighborhoods and really are a part of their community - can judge their decision regarding their property and community.

My point is, it is wrong to judge the decision of others. I think those of you who are so quick to judge the residents of the Third Ward and East End who don't want to sell out would be highly offended by those very same people stereotyping and judging you.

The money developers pay people for these houses is often not enough for them to purchase adequate housing in another neighborhood, and someone who was living in a house they worked their entire life to buy is now forced to rent from an unscrupulous landlord. Think it doesn't happen that way? It does. And so many times developers with loads of money and legal resources take advantage of people with little education who don't have the resources to know that they're being taken advantage of. That's why these residents are fighting back.

First of all, I don't feel sorry for people that don't have enough snap to even half ass figure out what their house is worth, or figure out that they have no clue, and need to call a realtor or lawyer. Is finding and calling a realtor or lawyer really that difficult? Furthermore, if those people don't have enough snap to figure out reasonably what their house is worth or seek assistance, then they sure as he|| don't have enough snap to figure out what might be about to happen, and organize and stage a neighborhood revolt, replete with cute lawn signs. I suspect the afforementioned revolt is a product of a vocal minority, rather than all those dimwits you're speaking of.

I've tried to stay out of this argument because what I say won't change anyone's minds. These are all serious issues and ones that people tend to be very opinionated about - to the point where getting someone to totally change their views can be nearly impossible.

For the record - KinkaidAlum - I applaud your posts above and agree with you 100% in many ways. And Project Rowhouse is one of the greatest redevelopment programs in this city in many ways.

As for the issue of de facto segregation in schools and neighborhoods, whites are just as much to blame here as anyone else. Have you ever heard the term "white flight," that is, the fleeing of middle class whites to new suburbs and undeveloped areas because of the perceived threat of minorities moving into their old neighborhoods? It's alive in well in Houston as well as every other major city and is as much at fault for neighborhoods not being racially integrated as African Americans and Hispanics saying they don't want their neighborhoods being bought up by developers. I don't think that any of us, as outsiders who did not grow up in those neighborhoods, can really understand where those who don't want to sell out are coming from. I'm sorry, but judging others and telling them how they should live their lives, based on your values and your life experiences is WRONG. It's the very reason many minority groups in this country - and I mean minority here to include not only racial and ethnic minorities but also those who are minorities by means of sexual orientation, gender identity, and religious belief - continue to feel alienated and not a part of the greater society as a whole. Some of you may think that building new, expensive houses in this area is a great thing. You might even be wanting to buy one of those houses, but only if the "poor blacks" who live there now are gone. And you might justify it by saying that those people would be able to buy a nicer home with the money they got from selling out. However, developers want to buy property at the cheapest possible price. In many cases they claim to be giving someone a good deal on their old shotgun house they've lived in for 50 years, but the good deal is only for the developer. The money developers pay people for these houses is often not enough for them to purchase adequate housing in another neighborhood, and someone who was living in a house they worked their entire life to buy is now forced to rent from an unscrupulous landlord. Think it doesn't happen that way? It does. And so many times developers with loads of money and legal resources take advantage of people with little education who don't have the resources to know that they're being taken advantage of. That's why these residents are fighting back. But I think none of us, unless we've walked in their shoes and lived in their neighborhoods and really are a part of their community - can judge their decision regarding their property and community.

My point is, it is wrong to judge the decision of others. I think those of you who are so quick to judge the residents of the Third Ward and East End who don't want to sell out would be highly offended by those very same people stereotyping and judging you.

I am not sure how this discussion on East End became a debate on race relation. It appears that any debate of a particular neighborhood that is home to a specific minority group inevitably leads to an argument on race and ethnicity. However, I think it does not have to be this way. I do not believe, or at least hope, that all those who favor gentrification or redevelopment of a depressed neighborhood are clandestinely anticipating ethnic segregation. I believe that they simply yearn for peace and prosperity in the city where they live. In that sense, a depressed black neighborhood is really no different from a white trailer park. In the same sense, a black person is just as likely to desire a safer and better place to live as a white person.

It would be na

It's real easy to sit on this website and talk about how people lack "snap." Of course, I really don't even know what "snap" is.

That said, I think most folks in this country have no idea of what it is like to truly be poor. When you are truly poor, you don't just pick up the phone and call your local real estate broker or lawyer buddy when you're in a pickle! Hell, you might not even be able to afford a phone, much less the services of a professional.

Additionally, many of the folks left in the 3rd ward are the poorest of the poor and many are quite elderly. The elderly ones quite possibly are the sons and daughters of share croppers who have no formal education at all. I think people need to stop and think of what an 85 year old African-American woman who lives in the 3rd Ward has lived through in her lifetime. At one time, the city had a STRICT segregation policy that restricted where blacks could live. The 3rd Ward was one of the areas. There are still many alive today who can remember those days vividly.

• 4 weeks later...
Wow, I did not know that, Coog.

As for streets, I think its a shame that the stretch of Leeland from about Lockwood to Lawndale hasn't been redone by the city. The street is in horrible shape and if not for some landscaping and better sidewalk, it would be a nice stretch of pavement.

Danax, do you know if there are any plans to deal with this (assuming you know the stretch I'm talking about)?

I will tell you that the best Po Boy in the entire world is on Leeland and Scott (I think). Mandola's Deli rocks. Seriously, a great sandwich.

• 4 months later...
That said, I think most folks in this country have no idea of what it is like to truly be poor. When you are truly poor, you don't just pick up the phone and call your local real estate broker or lawyer buddy when you're in a pickle! Hell, you might not even be able to afford a phone, much less the services of a professional.

But aren't the rising tax rates going to evict the poor in the Third Ward?

Sometimes I feel like the resident P.R. guy for the East End on this forum as I think I'm the only one living out here and, as your comments indicate, the area gets a bad rap, which I feel is undeserved.

Don't worry. I'm in 77012. Across the bayou from Mason park. On Woodvale. Way back towards the end. I have an awesome view of the bayou and the park. ;)

Sometimes I feel like the resident P.R. guy for the East End on this forum as I think I'm the only one living out here and, as your comments indicate, the area gets a bad rap, which I feel is undeserved.

Don't worry. I'm in 77012. Across the bayou from Mason park. On Woodvale. Way back towards the end. I have an awesome view of the bayou and the park. ;)

i'll be joining you two soon - around the reveille area though...

• 3 months later...

okay...i have held out as long as i could, but i am about to lose it...

i was going to post this in danax's "Illegal Aliens Are Ruining My Neighborhood" thread because of the similar sentiments, but i didn't want to bring the legailty of anyone being here into this...

so i moved here about three months ago - not long at all. i came here with high hopes. the house is great. the neighborhood as a whole isn't too shabby either.

but

it seems like there is only maybe a handful of caring and responsible homeowners/renters out of the whole block. my neighbors might be the worst example of this, but it is echoed throughout the area.

i am talking about loud loud bass from their lovely vehicles at all hours...honking instead of ringing a doorbell...talking loudly at 4 in the morning any day of the week...letting their really sweet dog(s) run loose in the streets (i think one died) or chaining them up on the doorstep...littering everywhere...parking in the shared driveway...it goes on and on...

maybe i have bad luck and i just moved next door to the biggest assholes on the block. maybe not. but they are ones that most people have nightmares about living next to...

so yeah, i am thinking of jetting once again. my question is: is three months a fair shot? are they ever going to become considerate people?

thanks, i feel a little better

:(

okay...i have held out as long as i could, but i am about to lose it...

i am talking about loud loud bass from their lovely vehicles at all hours...

uh huh
honking instead of ringing a doorbell......
uh huh
talking loudly at 4 in the morning any day of the week......
uh huh
letting their really sweet dog(s) run loose in the streets (i think one died) or chaining them up on the doorstep...littering everywhere.........
uh huh
parking in the shared driveway...it goes on and on.........
haven't had to deal with that one cause I don't share a driveway.
maybe i have bad luck and i just moved next door to the biggest assholes on the block. maybe not. but they are ones that most people have nightmares about living next to...

so yeah, i am thinking of jetting once again. my question is: is three months a fair shot? are they ever going to become considerate people?

thanks, i feel a little better

:(

sevfiv, I sensed your frustration mounting with the first post about the beer cans. These full-blown Hispanic neighborhoods are very hands-off. No one says anything and so the idiots feel empowered.

The booming bass.....do you know how many times I've called HPD on one house up the street? Luckily, they are about 5 houses away across the street, and I still hear the bass in my house. Finally, after having been fined probably several times for noise ordinance violation (you need to learn that one), they have toned it down. In other words, my efforts worked.

The honking.....just downright rude and obnoxious. I'll go out and stare the person down if I'm in the mood. Probably not much you can really do about it.

Talking loudly next to your house...it's just more inconsideration and also hard to deal with unless you can develop some kind of kinship with them and mention it. First thought is they just might not have thought that they might be disturbing anyone else, which would make them idiots, but likely they just don't care.

The dogs....many run loose here. When Rita came it was every dog for himself :lol: . One in particular has apparently been banished by it's owner 2 doors down from me. I used to find it on my porch and piles in my yard. Now, it is getting skinny and has major bare spots on it's body. Guess the owners just got tired of messing with it (like they ever did). There was one guy who came to the civic club meeting, a "westend" type who's lived here many years and likes it, and he told us how he told a neighbor that if he ever saw his dog on his lawn again he would shoot it, and that's what he did.

The common denominator is lack of respect and lack of education. The type you describe is not the majority in neighborhoods like ours, but there are enough of these clones scattered throughout that just about every street has one or two.

As for what to do...some people will improve their behavior, maybe a little, maybe a lot, so getting to know them and talking to them is worth a shot. I have talked to my neighbor about loud music and he has improved a lot. Again, my efforts have worked. Of course, they might be the types that just don't care and might laugh at you and make it worse.

I use HPD for the noise ordinance but it takes persistance. They might suspect it's you but...oh well, just remember the City is backing you up. If the city has a record of you calling on the same house over a period of time, and then they retaliate in some way against you, which has never happened to me by the way, they will be the prime suspects. Also, get a City Councilperson's campaign sign and put it in your yard. It might make them think you're connected to the city and HPD. Sound's weird but I believe it's had that effect for me without my intending it to. No one wants to mess with someone they feel might have a little clout. See if there's a civic club where you can, not only vent if you need to, but meet some others so you realize that you're not alone. Also, a group can make positive changes by reporting to HPD at the meetings about certain trouble houses, junk cars, all of the above. I've seen results and it's nice to see a neighborhood improve but it takes some time.

I say stand and fight, sevfiv. Hold your ground and help improve your neighborhood so that more considerate people like yourself will decide to give it a try and then one day, lo and behold, it's nice again. Are they possibly renters? If so, maybe they'll be gone in short time if you notify the landlord.

It doesn't take many to ruin a neighborhood and the flip side of that is that you don't have to get rid of many to improve it either. Consider yourself a pioneer for positive change and pioneers have to expect a few arrows.

If, on the other hand, after fighting the good fight for awhile you decide it's hopeless, that's understandable.

thanks danax, i need those words of encouragement :)

it's days like this that i really like living here...nice weather, windows open, neighbors elsewhere...heh

i have inferred that the ones that most people on the block dislike don't actually live next door...they are friends/family of the guy who lives there, so it just depends on when they visit.

What subdivision?

santa rosa, off of reveille...the closer to park place, the worse it gets it seems.

this is around stop number seven on my neighborhood living tour of houston...we'll see how long it lasts :)

Archived