Snow Mountain Coming To Houston

MidtownCoog

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds even crappier than Epcot and at $600 million and five years to open, I'd bet it either doesn't entertain its first guest, or opens to a collective yawn from the tens of people who are able to find their way there on "Interstate 59". This seems like too little money over too long a time to make a serious park, yet too much over too long a time for investors to stay on point with the project.

This is Hanna Barbera Land all over again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna-Barbera_Land

Is this what evolved into that water park right there on I45?

There are so many things wrong with this discussion.

First, this thread is supposed to be about the Snow Mountain fake ski resort project called the Great Texas River Walk, NOT the Earthquest dinosaur theme park project on hwy 59.

Second, the comparison of Hanna-Barbera Land to Earthquest isn't a fair comparison at all. HBL was a 30 acre park designed for small children. When HBL opened, AstroWorld was at the top of it's game in Houston and provided more attractions to small children than HBL as well as rides for older kids and adults. AW had nightly fireworks, ski shows, highdiving shows, and song and dance revues. HBL could never compete with AstroWorld.

By comparison, Earthquest (if built) has zero competition in Houston. At 250 acres, it is at least 5 times bigger that HBL was. It will have a museum, theme park (with rides) a hotel and spa, and a waterpark. The plan is on a much grander scale that HBL or AW combined. As far as people not being able to find it because it is to be 30 miles north of downtown Houston, I want to point out that Great America is 40 miles from Chicago, Magic Mountain is 35 miles north of Los Angeles, Great Adventure is 50 miles from NYC, and Discovery Kingdom is 40 miles from San Francisco. These parks have been around for decades. Almost all major theme parks are built many miles away from the center of the metros they serve. AstroWorld was not typical. In fact, AW's centralized location ultimately worked against the park. The park was closed because the value of the land was thought to be worth more than the value of the park and the company that owned it (Six Flags) was (and is) billions of dollars in debt and needed quick cash.

As far as $600 million not being enough to build a park - check out the renderings and models to Hard Rock Park theme park. It is currently under construction on 140 acres in Myrtle Beach and is costing $400 million. If we can go by their plans to get an idea of what to expect from Earthquest, then I would say $600 million is plenty of money to start a new park from scratch. It will take at least 3 years to build a park on this scale. The articles I've read say that they want to start construction in 2008 and open in 2011, 2012 at the latest - 3 years worth of rain delays and other unforseen problems could add on another year of construction. This is not an unreasonable amount of time to build a 250 acre theme park. It probably takes at least a year just to design the park. I bet we see renderings and models before the end of the year.

Third, HBL evolved into Splashtown and not only is it still standing, it's is doing well. The owners recently said that they want to add amusement park rides to the park. Splashtown has changed owners several times and has been completely changed from a kiddy ride park into a water park, but some of the same buildings are still there from when it was HBL. So in a sense, it out lived AstroWorld.

I'm not saying that I know that Earthquest will be built for sure and that it will be a success, but it has a lot more going for it than Hanna-Barbera Land did in 1984. On top of all the other advantages that Earthquest has, there will be at least 3 million more people in the Houston metro in 2011 than there was in 1984. And unless Kemah builds a 250 acre peer over Galveston Bay or Splashtown adds a resort hotel or the Snow Mountain thing gets going soon, Earthquest will have no competition.

There is another thread at HAIF discussing Earthquest in some detail.

Now back to Snow Mountain. I haven't heard anything since that original weird article appear a few weeks ago.

Edited by Mister X

I think this would be awesome, speaking as some one who raley ever gets to see snow, and has never been skiing. I think an Entertainment district would be cool especially in the North East, but if it were in the dome I do not think that would be a bad idea either. Reliant Park containing this would be great!!! :D

A snow covered mountain in Houston? No thanks.

Actually, from the description, it sounds like the snow will be on the inside of the mountain. Which means the outside would probably be painted white or something. It's really hard picturing this thing. They might be better off building a large building over the whole mountain and complex so that it doesn't look too weird from the street. Or hide it behind a lot of trees or something so it doesn't look so unnatural.

Actually, from the description, it sounds like the snow will be on the inside of the mountain. Which means the outside would probably be painted white or something. It's really hard picturing this thing. They might be better off building a large building over the whole mountain and complex so that it doesn't look too weird from the street. Or hide it behind a lot of trees or something so it doesn't look so unnatural.
From the outside the building will look like a mountain with a snowy peak and a white water river through real grass alpine meadows with huts and trees and optional terraced apartments. The inside features a giant cave connecting the various parts of the building, themed indoor slopes, snow circuit and ice cave with 3D and photo mountain ranges with blue sky
Edited by Montrose1100

Guest Marty

I think that too, the fake snow would get blown all over the place in a strong thunderstorm.

It's hard to imagine real snow on the snowy peek. It will probably be paint. Hey- wouldn't it be great if they managed to keep real snow on the peek by having a machine constantly blowing snow up through a hole in the center like a volcano. Then the snowy peak would be real and always have a little hazy cloudy look.

No matter how they handle it, no doubt this thing (if built) will be a spectacle from the street. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing all depends on your sense of humor I guess.

Edited by Mister X

It's hard to imagine real snow on the snowy peek. It will probably be paint. Hey- wouldn't it be great if they managed to keep real snow on the peek by having a machine constantly blowing snow up through a hole in the center like a volcano. Then the snowy peak would be real and always have a little hazy cloudy look.

No matter how they handle it, no doubt this thing (if built) will be a spectacle from the street. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing all depends on your sense of humor I guess.

Someone would try to be funny by jumping in to it or pushing another fool into the hole. College pranks would abound. Spectacle indeed.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from the Netherlands. While I was there I went to an indoor ski place. It was fantastic, one of the best things I have ever done. At 25 euro's I would have gone more had I found out about it earlier in my trip. I can imagine a place like this would be profitable... not sure how realistic all the other parts of the project are. But in indoor snow hill would be awesome.

I just got back from the Netherlands. While I was there I went to an indoor ski place. It was fantastic, one of the best things I have ever done. At 25 euro's I would have gone more had I found out about it earlier in my trip. I can imagine a place like this would be profitable... not sure how realistic all the other parts of the project are. But in indoor snow hill would be awesome.

Sounds cool, was it real snow or artificial?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone have any new info on this?I've talked with the dude behind this who is won't say much about it other than they plan to "start the infrastructure in the next 2-3 month's". So at least I know it's still on but I'm hoping someone can give me more info?

Does anyone have any new info on this?I've talked with the dude behind this who is won't say much about it other than they plan to "start the infrastructure in the next 2-3 month's". So at least I know it's still on but I'm hoping someone can give me more info?

In terms of this project, what is the guys responsibility that you talked to? What did he mean by infrastructure, putting in pipes etc?

In terms of this project, what is the guys responsibility that you talked to? What did he mean by infrastructure, putting in pipes etc?

I emailed the owner of "Unlimited Snow" in Amsterdam who forwarded my email to their "client and the Houston initiator".He and I have exchanged a few emails and pretty much all I've been told is "The Project is still moving forward and progressing . Hope to start the infrastructure in the next 2-3 month's" and as for where it will be, I was told there's "Major development in the area". So I have no idea what that means and why I'm asking if anyone has more info.

Here is the company website: http://www.snow.biz/

It's so weird that some rinky dink snowboarding website broke the story and as far as I can tell, there's nothing else about it online.

EDIT: This project, if done like planned, will be nothing short of amazing. Just reading the description makes me think this will be a humongous tourists attraction for outsiders and Houstonians.

A nice little quote. My question though is, why Houston? Or maybe I should just be glad.

The indoor snow centre will be the first in the US, and of its type, worldwide
Edited by lockmat

I think it is near New Caney. It was rumored to be around there (near the new theme park).

Is this rumor from other message boards? If so, that's where the dinosour park will be, right? That area is gonna be crazy!

I think it is near New Caney. It was rumored to be around there (near the new theme park).

Its been a while since I heard anything about this, but my sources indicated that it would most likely be a west Houston site accessible from the Grand Parkway.

This would make sense, since such a location would be convenient for tourists from Austin and San Antonio. Since Dallas is getting a similar skiing concept, I'd doubt that as many tourists would come through IAH or HOU to visit this place.

Edited by TheNiche

Just by reading the the older posts in this thread, some people (excluding myself) said near the new theme park. The West Houston location would be alright, but I think a New Caney one would be better. Better airport access, and tourists would already be there for EarthQuest.

I emailed the owner of "Unlimited Snow" in Amsterdam who forwarded my email to their "client and the Houston initiator".He and I have exchanged a few emails and pretty much all I've been told is "The Project is still moving forward and progressing . Hope to start the infrastructure in the next 2-3 month's" and as for where it will be, I was told there's "Major development in the area". So I have no idea what that means and why I'm asking if anyone has more info.

I just received an email from the same guy but didn't get as much info. He said they are in the finance phase and hope to progress soon. He was gonna forward my email to the initiator in Houston, whoever that is.

Just by reading the the older posts in this thread, some people (excluding myself) said near the new theme park. The West Houston location would be alright, but I think a New Caney one would be better. Better airport access, and tourists would already be there for EarthQuest.

Tourism is a highly segmented market. This artificial snow concept looks to be oriented at individual metropolitan areas. EarthQuest seems to be oriented to a more regional or national market. I'm sure that they would benefit from proximity to one another, but I'm equally certain that a west Houston location could pick up on a hell of a lot more tourists from Austin and San Antonio than would a New Caney location.

...not to mention that New Caney isn't even very convenient to most of the Houston market.

Personally, just for juxtapositional value, I'd like to have seen it developed along Galveston Bay or in Galveston, but that probably wouldn't have been very smart, either.

• 1 month later...

To me with Texas being so big, and having the 2nd largest population in the US, we should have far more theme parks then we do. Look at Flordia, and California, they have them everywhere. I just wish this State had more "fun" things to do for locals and tourist.

Edited by citykid09

To me with Texas being so big, and having the 2nd largest population in the US, we should have far more theme parks then we do. Look at Flordia, and California, they have them everywhere. I just wish this State had more "fun" things to do for locals and tourist.

I agree with you.

Think of the population in the Texas triangle region. It is growing on a daily basis, yet we really have no major attractions. I believe that with the right project and marketing, we could have some excellent parks.

We hopefully this Snow Mountain Park is built near EarthQuest.

And there should be no question as to why Florida and California have more attractions than us. California has over ten million more people than us, and once Disney World was placed in Orlando, everything else followed.

I agree... I am surprised Texas doesn't have more. Add to all of this a warm climate, great economy and rapidly growing population... just seems like Texas would be the next "california" or "florida'.

• Highrise Tower changed the title to Snow Mountain Coming To Houston