firefox v. IE

another plea for suggestions/help. i recently updated my web site, and it looks completely different (bad) in Internet Explorer versus Firefox.

I am aware of some of the CSS hang-ups with IE, but this has extended to colors now, too.

does anyone know of any fixes for stuff like this? for an example of what i mean, try looking at the site in my footer in IE (icon8.gif)

another plea for suggestions/help. i recently updated my web site, and it looks completely different (bad) in Internet Explorer versus Firefox.

I am aware of some of the CSS hang-ups with IE, but this has extended to colors now, too.

does anyone know of any fixes for stuff like this? for an example of what i mean, try looking at the site in my footer in IE (icon8.gif)

Looking at your website (very nice, by the way), I don't see any differences between the two browsers and I'm using the latest one on both.

Looking at your website (very nice, by the way), I don't see any differences between the two browsers and I'm using the latest one on both.

thanks, and that's good to hear - could this be a local, computer specific problem? just seems weird

here is a screen shot (the lower is IE):

6gn0275.jpg

thanks, and that's good to hear - could this be a local, computer specific problem? just seems weird

6gn0275.jpg

Nope, didn't see that problem at all. I'm inclined to say Monitor, but it's hard to say.

Did you use Dreamweaver?

Nope, didn't see that problem at all. I'm inclined to say Monitor, but it's hard to say.

Did you use Dreamweaver?

no, i hand write everything on the site except for a couple java thingies, and use photoshop to create the graphics/icons

i'll have to compare when i get home

weeeird

Guest Marty

6gn0275.jpg

I see the same thing as those pics show. IE has the squares behind the text .

Um...

DUH...I just realized I opened TWO firefox windows out of habit. I see what you're talking about now, though.

Working on your website at work? shame on you.

:D

haha noooo :D

i actually looked using IE at work because i don't use it at home

so there is a color issue - i justdon't get it - hex codes are hex codes...right?!

haha noooo :D

i actually looked using IE at work because i don't use it at home

so there is a color issue - i justdon't get it - hex codes are hex codes...right?!

it's a hex issue, but the thing is that, if I remember correctly, you could specify one format for IE, though. I don't know if that's still true now.

Guest Marty

I notice that the text on IE 7 is not as clear as the FireFox that I downloaded from ricco67 sig earler, but the pics look the same.

well...hmm...

the larger text (menu headings) are graphics - PNG

they all were made from the same parent photoshop file

the problem seems to be with the text blending with the background (which are all assigned the same hex color)

ack :blink:

well...hmm...

the larger text (menu headings) are graphics - PNG

they all were made from the same parent photoshop file

the problem seems to be with the text blending with the background (which are all assigned the same hex color)

ack :blink:

Make the background of the icons transparent so the background color will just show through from what's behind it. Then if you want to change the background color of the whole site in the future....to say...red...you don't have to re-tool all the buttons.

Make the background of the icons transparent so the background color will just show through from what's behind it. Then if you want to change the background color of the whole site in the future....to say...red...you don't have to re-tool all the buttons.

thank you for the suggestion - i have to redo them anyhow, so i might as well make it as easy as possible to change in the future

It's an IE thing. IE has never supported PNG transparency. It's a big Microsoft's known about for years, but didn't bother to fix. Since they've come out with IE7 there's hope that it's fixed, but I've never tried it. Moreover, most of your visitors aren't going to be using IE7.

The workaround is to use transparent GIFs instead. At least until Microsoft gets its act together, or IE7 becomes more widespread.

It's an IE thing. IE has never supported PNG transparency. It's a big Microsoft's known about for years, but didn't bother to fix. Since they've come out with IE7 there's hope that it's fixed, but I've never tried it. Moreover, most of your visitors aren't going to be using IE7.

The workaround is to use transparent GIFs instead. At least until Microsoft gets its act together, or IE7 becomes more widespread.

thanks - transparent GIFs it will be, then...bleh

Guest Marty

Everything after post #12 went way over my head... ^_^ , but i notice a difference on this forum between the two, like....

IE 7 you can use the back button and it clears your little triangles next to the thread.

Mozilla FireFox you have to go forward like hitting the View New Post button with the flashing arrow to clear the little triangles next to the threads.

imo firefox is better.

yeah, i'm a strictly firefox user

i used transparent pngs and they work in IE7, but not earlier versions (like editor mentioned)

i also made transparent gifs just in case, but they don't seem to work in any IE

• 5 months later...

another update and plea for help:

I recently changed page layouts and opted for what i thought was a simple java-based rollover menu.

As usual, firefox is fine but the menu is dead in IE.

I get this error: "object expected" which i have possibly narrowed down to the "class" value and somehow an interference with css.

That's about as far as i can go without my head hurting.

any clues? the main page is http://www.arch-ive.org/index2.php

TIA

I recently changed page layouts and opted for what i thought was a simple java-based rollover menu.

I get this error: "object expected" which i have possibly narrowed down to the "class" value and somehow an interference with css.

TIA

Works fine in Safari, too. IE has a lot of problems with Javascript, even more than it does with CSS. I'm a rookie at both, so I'm not going to be much help to you. I just wanted to let you know it's fine in Safari.

I get no errors using IE 7.0.5730.11.

In IE 6.9.2900.2180, the "qm_create" function is undefined. Is that in one of your .js files? If so, try importing them before referencing that function.

(Also, that isn't Java based. You're using ECMAScript. JavaScript and JScript are the two leading implementations of the ECMAScript interpreter. Java is very different beast.)

Memebag: as far as the java/ECMAScript you write of, I have no idea.

I might just need to find a friendlier menu (similar in style to the existing one, preferably)

Did you try importing the .js file that defines qm_create() before you call it?

No, i am truly ignorant when it comes to all that - that's why i used the quickmenu builder. Seemed easy enough.

So, you're not going to move the imports before the function call? Why plea for help if you won't act on it?

• 4 months later...

The new Firefox Beta 3 RC is sweet. Finally, on the Mac it feels as fast or faster than a comparable PC. I am really looking forward to the speed and utility over this over Safari.

I had tried to like FF on the Mac but it felt like a giant boat on my screen. Now it feels nimble and sleek!

Yay!

The new Firefox Beta 3 RC is sweet. Finally, on the Mac it feels as fast or faster than a comparable PC. I am really looking forward to the speed and utility over this over Safari.

I had tried to like FF on the Mac but it felt like a giant boat on my screen. Now it feels nimble and sleek!

Yay!

I use Firefox for Google Checkout, otherwise I'm all Safari. For some strange reason Google Checkout won't send shipping confirmation e-mails if you use Safari.

That said, I'm glad to hear that FF is finally becoming fully Mac-like. I'll be sure to upgrade next time I get the chance (which should be soon since FF prompts for upgrades almost weekly!)

I use Firefox for Google Checkout, otherwise I'm all Safari. For some strange reason Google Checkout won't send shipping confirmation e-mails if you use Safari.

That said, I'm glad to hear that FF is finally becoming fully Mac-like. I'll be sure to upgrade next time I get the chance (which should be soon since FF prompts for upgrades almost weekly!)

Google Checkout?

I like FF because of the features. A few of the nice new ones are:

Smart Bookmarks

Most Visited Bookmarks

(both of these reside in the toolbar and theoretically keep track of like your top 5 or so bookmarks that you access)

AutoFill for bookmarks

And of course all the add-ons (extensions) that don't all work yet.

The look. Actually, it looks almost like Safari (brushed metal) and doesn't have as much headroom as it used to.

Also, I am noticing Googe homepages don't look right yet (I sent in a bug ticket).

Archived