Hwy71 @ 304

Heights2Bastrop

This may not be a big deal to many of you, but it is huge to me.

The Hwy 71 overpass at 304 was opened last Saturday. Since I live off 304, this is a great benefit for me. It will also eliminate a big slowdown for those traveling from Houston to Austin.

Work should begin soon on the overpass at 969, which is just a few hundred yards west of 304. So that will slow through traffic again for a while. Not sure what plans for the Hwy 20 intersection. 20 is not that well-traveled, but it is a very dangerous intersection.

• 11 months later...

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN! :P

I passed by the intersection with 969 about a week ago, no signs of construction.

I have noticed in the past few years that the trek through Bastrop on Highway 71 is just a tad bit quicker thanks to the new overpasses. I just wish they could eliminate all of the traffic lights on Highway 71 between 183 and I-10. They wouldn't even have to upgrade the highway to full freeway standards in order to do this. On the sections near the airport where they need to retain business access, they could do a "superstreet" rebuild, building a mini-freeway like section with overpasses and driveway access a-la US 90A from 610 to US 59. At the 45/130 tollway, I know that an overpass is in the works, but as Texas normally does, the feeder lanes will be utilized before the traffic volumes call for the overpass. I would also like to see some overpasses at FM 1209, Hwy 20, not to mention Hwy 21/95, and Tahitian Rd. We can all dream can't we?

• 4 weeks later...

I checked through my road atlas, and if I am not mistaken, Texas is the only state in the nation that does not have an interstate, or a non-stop highway between its largest city and its capitol. What a shame!

I hope they close the 969 crossover. They could easily reroute the highway around Burleson Crossing to where 304 now terminates at 71. There will be a street around the shopping center, but not sure if that will be the highway. That crossover is a very dangerous intersection what with cars coming south on 71 coming over the hill at 80 mph or more.

They finally put up a light at 1209 and 71. I would like to see an overpass there, but there are other intersections more in need of one. 21/95 as well as Tahitian at 71 are prime candidates. If the area around the Hyatt grows much more, Pope Bend Road will become another candidate.

Archived