What's your excuse?

houstonmacbro

What's your favorite, common, or most outlandish excuse to get out of things (parties, dinners, gathering either work or friends, or whatever you don't feel like doing).

Here is a list of mine (hope my friends, family, and co-workers aren't reading this ... hehehe):

1. It is too far (I live at 1960 and I45 and the cost of gas combined with a 60+ mile R/T)
  2. "I am really not feeling well"
  3. "I have to work tomorrow" (this doesn't go over too well with co-workers as they generally do too)
  4. "I have other plans" (outright lie but it works)
  5. "I'm sorry, no" (not a lie, and one of my favorites but generally requires another excuse ... as the other people then ask "Why not?"

we were having a similar discussion this past weekend...i have a good friend who frequently makes up fabrications about why she can't do something. and her number one excuse is i have to work. i just don't understand why people are afraid to be honest. IMO you're "i have other plans" is enough.

I think it all depends on how you look at it. Maybe turn it around in thought. By that I mean I would be delighted that people thought of inviting me to an event.

Just think one day the offers may cease and you'll think back and say "You know maybe I should have accepted some of those invites." We don't think of these things when we are young but just think of all the millions of those that wish they could get out more.

There are good reasons to not attend events too I know. Recently, I was asked to go to a B-day party but my real valid reason was the woman's husband is so jealous of younger guys (mainly me) I just gave a maybe on the invite. Would you blame me? If you don't feel comfortable why be there right?

I hated the un-invites where people purposely DO NOT invite you because you are single. That is so wrong! You find out weeks later of the party and when they say who went, its all married couples. Blatant discrimination. Then I learn who these guys are & they are insecure being around younger single guys. They think I'll a move on their out-of-shape wives? I dont think so. :wacko: Trust me this happens.

What's your favorite, common, or most outlandish excuse to get out of things (parties, dinners, gathering either work or friends, or whatever you don't feel like doing).

Here is a list of mine (hope my friends, family, and co-workers aren't reading this ... hehehe):

4. "I have other plans" (outright lie but it works)

Well, it's really not a lie. Your other plans are to not go to whatever event it is.

I thank the person for inviting me and say I won't be able to attend the party, the dinner, go out for coffee or whatever I don't feel like doing. I don't give a reason because I don't believe I'm obligated to give one.

Well, it's really not a lie. Your other plans are to not go to whatever event it is.

True... thanks for validating my decisions!

I thank the person for inviting me and say I won't be able to attend the party, the dinner, go out for coffee or whatever I don't feel like doing. I don't give a reason because I don't believe I'm obligated to give one.

Yeah, kinda like my #5 (above). It's just when I say that people look at me --as if to demand a reason. Imma start using to and sticking to my #5!

Guest Marty

The "I got a toothache" is a good one. but I usually tell why i am not going "I am watching the baseball game".

Archived