Fifth Ward Chamber Of Commerce Video

mrfootball

5th ward is on prime real estate just like 3rd ward....once they run them out where can they go? North is the only way....

The 5th (as it is commonly known, north of I-10 and east of I-45) is a hard sell. The third is sandwiched in between the TMC and UH/TSU, each major regional activity centers, and also has somewhat better connectivity with downtown. For someone that has been in Houston reasonably long, odds are that they've cut through the 3rd numerous times to get one place or the other. The fifth is out of everybody's way and doesn't really but up against anything other than industrial facilities. Also, whereas the 3rd receives a lot of politicial support from wealthy folks in the neighborhoods that line Brays Bayou, the 5th doesn't have that kind of backing. The 5th also earned the "bloody 5th" moniker back in the 80's and has had difficulty shedding the reputation. Add to that all the flooding problems, even if they aren't unique in that respect, it just doesn't make for an environment very conducive to urban redevelopment.

The East End, 3rd Ward, Near Northside, and perhaps several areas just outside the loop are going to face redevelopment pressures and become substantially transformed long before it hits the 5th Ward in any meaningful way.

5th ward is on prime real estate just like 3rd ward....once they run them out where can they go? North is the only way....

Nobody wants 5th Ward. I'm calling it now: 5th Ward to Kashmere will never gentrify.

This is probably why HISD rebuilt Wheatley; HISD figured that the 5th Ward would not gentrify (and therefore, prevennt a loss of its school-aged population).

The 5th (as it is commonly known, north of I-10 and east of I-45) is a hard sell. The third is sandwiched in between the TMC and UH/TSU, each major regional activity centers, and also has somewhat better connectivity with downtown. For someone that has been in Houston reasonably long, odds are that they've cut through the 3rd numerous times to get one place or the other. The fifth is out of everybody's way and doesn't really but up against anything other than industrial facilities. Also, whereas the 3rd receives a lot of politicial support from wealthy folks in the neighborhoods that line Brays Bayou, the 5th doesn't have that kind of backing. The 5th also earned the "bloody 5th" moniker back in the 80's and has had difficulty shedding the reputation. Add to that all the flooding problems, even if they aren't unique in that respect, it just doesn't make for an environment very conducive to urban redevelopment.

The East End, 3rd Ward, Near Northside, and perhaps several areas just outside the loop are going to face redevelopment pressures and become substantially transformed long before it hits the 5th Ward in any meaningful way.

it's going to happen once they run out of usable land close to downtown...you saw how it flooded in 3rd ward and off 288 so I doubt that's a big concern

Once land gets too high they'll start scouting other areas out...but there are more 5th ward homeowners than 3rd ward anyway and alot of folks have already fled up Highway 59 anyway to Humble and other areas...

it's going to happen once they run out of usable land close to downtown...you saw how it flooded in 3rd ward and off 288 so I doubt that's a big concern

There's a lot of land in the inner loop, and quite a bit just beyond it that is already half-decent. Most people fail to realize just how much. It's going to be a while.

And you're right that flooding is a secondary concern, but the new flood maps are now in effect, and when banks make people buy flood insurance, that absolutely does affect development patterns.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Marty

This hood should be surrounded and then they should go door to door and a complete sweep of the area of the riff raff and relocate the good citizens . Then bulldoze the whole area. I like preservation but the 5th Ward is a lost cause.

• The title was changed to Fifth Ward Chamber Of Commerce Video

Archived