Highway 290 Project

This is the email, I got back from TxDOT relating to improvements to be made on US 290, prior to the Hempstead Tollway and mainlane expansion project.

--------------------

There are several interim intersection projects on US 290 between IH 610 and Jones Road that have been given the go-ahead, which should help traffic move before the main construction on US 290 begins. Work on the following improvements is scheduled to begin in the later part of 2008:

Is Melissa Deaver (US 290 Program Public Involvement Manager) the woman pictured at the top of each of the pages on the website? Geez -- it takes some arrogance to plaster your mug shot all over a public web site like that. Or political aspirations (which is worse).

That aside, the single best thing that could happen to 290 in the meantime is to turn the median from 1960 to Barker Cypress into an HOV lane. (Or diamond lanes) But it sounds like that's not happening.

Yeah. I dont think so, but know if that is here. Regarding the reply, I dont think the outlined improvements will do much, other than allow better flow of traffic onto the freeway (which the freeway is the problem). TXDOT when I called, said it all relates to the West Loop's capacity.

Yeah. I dont think so, but know if that is here. Regarding the reply, I dont think the outlined improvements will do much, other than allow better flow of traffic onto the freeway (which the freeway is the problem). TXDOT when I called, said it all relates to the West Loop's capacity.

It seems as though a few of the projects will improve flow on the frontage roads, which would indirectly help the freeway by allowing more people to take the frontage roads as an alternative.

I didn't know Cypress N Houston ever hit 290.

Yea it runs behind Cy-Fair HS and Barker Cypress intersects w/ Cypress N Houston. I'm sure they will build an overpass w/ the new freeway, like with Green House and West Green on I-10.

Yea it runs behind Cy-Fair HS and Barker Cypress intersects w/ Cypress N Houston. I'm sure they will build an overpass w/ the new freeway, like with Green House and West Green on I-10.

Also, eventually Cypress-North Houston will connect all the way to Fry (by Cypress Ranch High School) where it turns into North Bridgeland Lake Parkway which will connect to the Grand Parkway.

In the other direction it runs roughly parallel to 1960 until it hits Jones road.

Upcoming Public Hearings

In association with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) will hold one Public Hearing over three nights to solicit comments relating to environmental issues presented in the DEIS.

Identical information will be presented at all meetings; therefore, it will not be necessary to attend every meeting. Informational displays and individuals knowledgeable about the DEIS will be available at 6 p.m., with the Public Hearing starting promptly at 7 p.m.

The Public Hearing will be held at the following locations:

Monday, July 16, 2007

Sheraton Brookhollow

3000 North Loop West

Houston, Texas 77092

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Dean Middle School

14104 Reo Street

Houston, Texas 77040

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Berry Center

8877 Barker

Cypress, Texas 77433

An overpass on what freeway?

On 290 right past Telge, I beleive, past Cy Fair HS. Yea I saw on Fry rd next to that new HS that there was an Intersection with Cypress N Houston.

Yeah, about a mile past Telge and a mile before Barker Cypress.

• 2 weeks later...
Any one attend any of the 290 meetings? I missed the one on the 24th at the Bery center. :angry2:

I was at the Berry Center meeting. It was probably the least contentious public hearing I've ever been to. Just about everyone out on that end of the corridor wants the project, quite a few wanted rail sooner (as do I). There were very few spoken public comments (about 5-6). There were a few of the green types there to nitpick on the DEIS.

I was at the Berry Center meeting. It was probably the least contentious public hearing I've ever been to. Just about everyone out on that end of the corridor wants the project, quite a few wanted rail sooner (as do I). There were very few spoken public comments (about 5-6). There were a few of the green types there to nitpick on the DEIS.

I know its early in the game but did they address aesthetics? I'd like to see more landscape and architectural features than the basic utilitarian 290 that we have now. I've noticed a lot of the rebuilt freeways in Texas have incorporated this into the design (ie. North Central Expressway in Dallas, I-10 Project in Houston, Marsha Sharp Freeway in Lubbock, 183 in Austin, etc). Did this issue come up?

I know its early in the game but did they address aesthetics? I'd like to see more landscape and architectural features than the basic utilitarian 290 that we have now. I've noticed a lot of the rebuilt freeways in Texas have incorporated this into the design (ie. North Central Expressway in Dallas, I-10 Project in Houston, Marsha Sharp Freeway in Lubbock, 183 in Austin, etc). Did this issue come up?

Aesthetics weren't specifically addressed at the meeting, but they are addressed in the DEIS:

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/...S%20Sec%205.pdf

It's pretty general, but most of that will mostly likely be tackled in detailed design.

Looks like the people coming from Hwy-6 will come out better than the people coming from 1960. Lot better entrance/exit to both 290 and Hempstead HOT. Although the 1960 traffic will have to go through the 1960/290 intersection at least they will not have to share it with the people going to Hwy-6.

According to schematics there will not be an overpass @ Cypress N Houston. I noticed that Jones will be extened though to W Little york eventually. I am curious to were Jones Rd will intersect with Fm 529 y W Little York.

I also like how they incorporated a bypass on the feeder for Fm 529 so that you dnt have to stop @ Senate or Beltway 8. It looks like the tollway will be built over some new buildings on 529 and Brittmore as well as a new Neighboorhood next to Cy-Falls.

• 2 years later...

TEXAS TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION ALLOCATES $314.6 MILLION TO ADVANCE US 290/HEMPSTEAD CORRIDOR PROGRAM

Published 11/20/2009 - 1:19 p.m. CST

Rate This Article:

HOUSTON – The Texas Transportation Commission has approved an allocation of $314.6 million in Proposition 12 funds to advance construction on the IH 610/US 290 Interchange, Phase I of the US 290/Hempstead Corridor Program.

Approved by voters in November 2007, Proposition 12 authorizes the issuance of $5 billion in general obligation funds for transportation projects. In mid-2009, the Texas State Legislature authorized TxDOT to go to contract on approximately $2 billion of those voter-approved funds for non-tolled highway projects. The US 290/Hempstead Corridor Program was identified by TxDOT’s Houston District and the Houston-Galveston Area Council (H-GAC) as a corridor project of statewide significance, and was one of several projects submitted for consideration to the Texas Transportation Commission in October 2009.

The approved allocation will advance planning, design, right of way acquisition and construction activities on several segments of the IH 610/US 290 Interchange. Currently ranked 13th on the 100 Most Congested Roadway Segments in Texas, the IH 610/US 290 interchange is the congestion point for three major thoroughfares in the Houston District, IH 10, US 290, and IH 610. Work on the interchange project will include reconstructing and widening both the IH 610 North Loop and US 290, as well as constructing direct connectors between those facilities and IH 10. As a stipulation for the use of Proposition 12 funding, the IH 610/US 290 Interchange reconstruction project must be scheduled for letting by May 2011.

For more information regarding the US 290/Hempstead Corridor Program, please contact the US 290/Hempstead Corridor Program Public Information Office at (713) 354-1532 or at (713) 354-1556. Additional information is also available on the Program website, www.my290.com

----------------------------

This will be one of the most advanced freeway systems in Texas complete with Commuter Rail, Bike Lanes, Tollway and expanded lanes. Let's get this baby on the fast track.

http://www.chron.com...it/6734353.html

...last week that the Texas Transportation Commission gave the nod to begin spending money on a massive reconstruction of the northwest artery. Or, at least, the first part of the first phase of a massive reconstruction. The $315 million allocation will allow work to begin on rebuilding the interchange of U.S. 290, Loop 610, and Interstate 10. The next 18 months will be spent acquiring rights-of-way and moving utilities. Drivers should start seeing construction in May 2011...

The work will include adding segregated, direct connector ramps to reduce the merging of cars exiting 290 onto the West Loop. For example, one ramp will take vehicles from 290 straight onto I-10 (eastbound or westbound) without making them first join the southbound main lanes of the West Loop.

sad.gif

Widening 290 is still in the future, planners hope. But funding has not been identified for those later phases, and TxDOT in general is facing a depletion of funds unless it finds more revenue soon. Planners are already telling me that raising the gasoline tax will be a big issue in the next legislative session.

The section of 610 connecting 290 and I-10 will have a cross-section with 34 lanes in a right of way that maxes out at 800 feet (0.15 mi) in width.

Looks like fun!

As for the 5-mile Gulf Freeway project mentioned in the article (which is really only a 4-mile project), I'm afraid that it's not going to be enough. It'll only displace the congestion to a bottleneck further down the road...and prevent smart folks from using the feeder underpasses as extra freeway lanes. To have the intended impact and anticipate near-term growth, they would need to take it at least to the NASA bypass...preferably to FM 518.

Awesome (sorta sarcastic), so if nothing messes with the North Loop construction project it will wrap-up just days before construction starts with the 290-610-10.

While I realize the outcome is going to be helpful and hopefully make traffic flow faster, I'm NOT looking forward the mess of construction.

*mumbling something about no pain, no gain*

• 3 weeks later...

Archived