East End Hike And Bike Trails

Has anyone been out on any of the H&B trails along buffalo bayou in the East End?

I jog sometimes on the one on the north side of the Bayou starting at Jensen and going to McKee Street (it has been open for a while now, but there is still no acess to McKee street); and I have been exploring the ones on the south side of the Bayou near Jensen.

The one on Jensen heading East is almost complete to Tony Marron park, but there is a small segment left to be completed.

Are there any other trails along the bayou being developed out here?

I'll be moving into the area come October, and plan on using these trails (or the one on Harrisburg). Lit? Much foot/wheel traffic?

the one parallel to harrisburg is lit. yes there is foot/bike traffic but nothing too busy.......the ones along the bayou would be iffy at night.....my preference would be not to do them alone even during the day.

I agree, I would not jog/bike on the east side trails along the bayou at night. They are not lit.

As for traffic, there is almost no traffic on the ones near Jensen along the Bayou (I have never seen anyone else on them when I am on them), but that might be because they do not connect with any other trails right now.

It will be great when you can bike from the east side through downtown and out west along the Bayou. Soon (this Fall), the trail on the south side of the bayou will at least connect the East side to McKee, and then it would be a short surface bike trip to get to the tails along the byaou near downtown.

biking on the east side is already primo IMO except for the occasional dog(s). traffic is lighter and you can go from hood to hood without having to get on major thoroughfares. You can get on several major ones because the ROW is large. the trails will definitely be a great addition.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the BBP website, and they have an updated map showing trails completed and almost completed in the east end. The map is dated January 2007. The trails on the sourth side of the bayou west of Clinton/hirsh should almost be finished all the way to mckee street. Right now, the trails end at mckee street and do not connect directly to the downtown ones, but hopefully they will soon.

They also seem to have acquired several small parcels of land. Hey, its definitely a start!

http://www.buffalobayou.org/documents/ProjectStatusJan07.jpg

• 1 year later...

I may not be the smartest guy around but I've run the Bayou (Brays - Behind the Gus Wortham Golf Course), Harrisburg and Sunset trails end to end. I'd love to see the Bayou trail connect with the Brays Bayou trail at MacGregor Park which runs to Hermann Park and all the way out to West Houston. I think there are plans to connect all the city parks, but who knows when?

• 3 months later...

I came across this while doing some research. The City's website says it'll all be done this year, and Google Earth imagery already indicates a bit of identifiable progress. I wish there were pedestrian bridges planned basically for where the railroad bridges already are, but aside from that, this is a really amazing project that hasn't gotten any meaningful press. ...especially when you consider that it is all happening in concert with HCFCD improvements to Mason Park, a new clubhouse and trails at the Gus Wortham Golf Course. When this is all completed, a pedestrian will be able to comfortably traverse about 3.3 miles of the bayou, all the way from the Ship Channel to Sylvan Street in Idylwood. That's further than from downtown to Shepherd bridge! Why is nobody talking about this?

BroadwaytoMason_000.jpg

I came across this while doing some research. The City's website says it'll all be done this year, and Google Earth imagery already indicates a bit of identifiable progress. I wish there were pedestrian bridges planned basically for where the railroad bridges already are, but aside from that, this is a really amazing project that hasn't gotten any meaningful press. ...especially when you consider that it is all happening in concert with HCFCD improvements to Mason Park, a new clubhouse and trails at the Gus Wortham Golf Course. When this is all completed, a pedestrian will be able to comfortably traverse about 3.3 miles of the bayou, all the way from the Ship Channel to Sylvan Street in Idylwood. That's further than from downtown to Shepherd bridge! Why is nobody talking about this?

the mud down on the trail doesn't make it comfortable to traverse, esp after a rain.

Sounds interesting, but the link you posted didn't work - would you mind re-posting?

http://www.houstonparksboard.org/projects/...bayou_trail.php

Related or nearby parks projects:

http://www.houstonparksboard.org/projects/mason_park.php

http://www.houstonparksboard.org/projects/gus_wortham.php

the mud down on the trail doesn't make it comfortable to traverse, esp after a rain.

So you're saying that these trails are already installed, just poorly engineered?

So you're saying that these trails are already installed, just poorly engineered?

don't know about all but the ones near mason park and near the golf course have a layer of dirt after the bayou goes down from a rain. the ones by the golf course tend to be the worst as inches of mud can be deposited on the trail.

don't know about all but the ones near mason park and near the golf course have a layer of dirt after the bayou goes down from a rain. the ones by the golf course tend to be the worst as inches of mud can be deposited on the trail.

That was less of a problem pre-Ike.

• 4 weeks later...
The trail along Brays Bayou between Lawndale & Mason Park is very nice; I like it more than the Buffalo Bayou trail between downtown & Shepherd.

Heh, if you said it was worse that that particular stretch of trail, I would be impressed, but since it is hard to have a trail worse than the stretch along buffalo bayou between sabine street and shepherd, I can only assume is doesn't completely look like it has been abandoned of any maintenance for the past 20 years.

I used to use the trail in terry hershey as a standard for safety and decided that once some of the trails in the east end were at that level that I would start riding them. But after what happened last week, I guess I'm as safe anywhere.

So, I just ride on the streets!

I used to use the trail in terry hershey as a standard for safety and decided that once some of the trails in the east end were at that level that I would start riding them. But after what happened last week, I guess I'm as safe anywhere.

So, I just ride on the streets!

What happened last week?

The trail along Brays Bayou between Lawndale & Mason Park is very nice; I like it more than the Buffalo Bayou trail between downtown & Shepherd.

I just went out there last week to scout around and see what had been done so far. I'M VERY IMPRESSED. I only wish that I had the means at this moment to start buying up the nearby houses.

• 4 weeks later...
I love the "Columbia tap rail to trail". It's a traffic-free ride to Hermann Park. I wish they'd mow the sides more often though

http://www.eastdowntownhouston.com/railstotrails.pdf

I utilize the part north of Leeland for getting into town.

I wish there were better maps of this trail, and of the rail line that will go down scott. It looks like the rail will go alongside this trail for a short period, and I would really like to see how it will be affected, but I guess I will just have to use it, watch the unfolding of the build and then wait for the exciting conclusion!

I utilize the part north of Leeland for getting into town.

I wish there were better maps of this trail, and of the rail line that will go down scott. It looks like the rail will go alongside this trail for a short period, and I would really like to see how it will be affected, but I guess I will just have to use it, watch the unfolding of the build and then wait for the exciting conclusion!

I'd settle for regular SWEEPING in the Northern Third Ward part of the trail. Everytime I ride there I have to navigate a continuous strain of broken beer bottles. Yet the second you cross I-45 back into EaDo, it's clean as a whistle. It really is a beautiful trail tho, and it's so great to have actual hike/bikeways that go somewhere.

Edited by totheskies

I'd settle for regular SWEEPING in the Northern Third Ward part of the trail. Everytime I ride there I have to navigate a continuous strain of broken beer bottles. Yet the second you cross I-45 back into EaDo, it's clean as a whistle. It really is a beautiful trail tho, and it's so great to have actual hike/bikeways that go somewhere.

That really is a shame.

On a side note, there ought to be a law against littering...

Edited by samagon

• 12 years later...

Does anyone know if there's ever been any discussion of getting lighting on the Columbia Tap Trail? At this point, with the traffic it receives, it seems like a no-brainer. Jogging or riding it after dark still feels a little touch-and-go. Who would even be the agency responsible for getting it done?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Andrew Ewert said:

Does anyone know if there's ever been any discussion of getting lighting on the Columbia Tap Trail? At this point, with the traffic it receives, it seems like a no-brainer. Jogging or riding it after dark still feels a little touch-and-go. Who would even be the agency responsible for getting it done?

Paging @wilcal, I feel like he'd know best. The part through TSU (I know its only a bit) does have lights, so theres that. I thought they used some federal money to help complete it, but I'm not sure if its the houston parks and rec or the City that would be responsible. 

• Like 1