Flagship Hotel/Take A Gander

When I was a kid back in the 1960s we took weekend drives to Galveston. I remember two places that were on piers that went out into the water: the Flagship Hotel and a souvenir store called (I think) Take A Gander. Are one or both of those places still around? I also remember seeing the Hotel Galvez. Is it still around?

When I was a kid back in the 1960s we took weekend drives to Galveston. I remember two places that were on piers that went out into the water: the Flagship Hotel and a souvenir store called (I think) Take A Gander. Are one or both of those places still around? I also remember seeing the Hotel Galvez. Is it still around?

The souvenir store is still open, but now under the name "Get a Goose". Very popular place among certain crowds. ;)

F the Flagship.

Agreed on the Flagship - it's in horrible shape. It has been entrenched in a lawsuit where the current owner was accused of fraud during the Hurricane Katrina evacuation. I don't know if it was resolved. But I think that Landry's Corporation bought it a couple of years ago and plan to do a Pleasure Pier concept so stay tuned.

The gift shop is still there and it was Guyette's---it did have a large goose but now has a nice skyway that connects two of the buildings on piers. It's a great place to visit for trinkets and t-shirts......

• 9 months later...

Archived