curious about the mac mini

i am about due for a new computer, and i am thinking of making the switch - the mini seems to have the basics i need, and the size is great

also, i currently have a dual monitor set-up and read that the DualHead2Go will make it happen...

anyone have any experience/thoughts on these machines, or issues with configuration, etc.?

There's not much to worry about when it comes to configuration -- they're pretty much self-contained. When you order it, get as much RAM as possible just so you won't have to bother later. Apple's RAM prices vary based on model. Some are reasonable, some are not. But most people like to order it from another company and install it themselves to same some money. If you do order extra RAM, get it from a VERY reputable company like Crucial and one that has a Mac guarantee. Macs are a lot more picky about RAM than the old-style Windows boxes, though it's my understanding that newer Windows machines are also developing the same sensitivities.

As for using dual monitors, I've read some articles on the internet that say the DualHead2Go works well with the mini.

Since you already have monitor, keyboard, and mouse you're pretty much ready to go.

Switching to Mac is a great idea - I did it 18 months ago and have never regretted it once.

If you want the Mini, you had better get one fast. The rumor followers say Apple is going to discontinue it as soon as the new iMacs come out later this summer. We currently have just an iBook (and 4 various ipods) and we're likely going to as a new iMac ourselves when that happens, too.

Switching to Mac is a great idea - I did it 18 months ago and have never regretted it once.

If you want the Mini, you had better get one fast. The rumor followers say Apple is going to discontinue it as soon as the new iMacs come out later this summer. We currently have just an iBook (and 4 various ipods) and we're likely going to ass a new iMac ourselves when that happens, too.

i agree on the mac switch - i got an imac about 6 months ago and i love it. i know some people think its a trendy thing to do, but i have no regrets at all in switching over. everything works so easily and its amazing that no one else on the PC side has come up with something that even compares from a visual standpoint. with the imac its literally two cables for the mouse/ keyboard and the power cord and that's about it. just easy and does what i need it to for a home computer.

Well, there is a RUMOR that they MIGHT be discontinued, but so what...? I mean, I work on a lot of computers that have been discontinued and that does not decrease their reliability.

Additionally, as somone mentioned try to load it up with memory. The Intel C2Ds work best maxxed out.

You mean Core Duo.

LOL

Don't you hate that naming convention.

welllll, i was referring to multi-core processing (dual, specifically) not necessarily Intel branded - but yeah, in this case, Core Duo :P

and as far as being discontinued, i am not worried about reliability, just the fact that i might not be able to actually get one

Oh ... well ... I visit the Apple Refurbished store often and there are always older machines for sale. You might check there?

thanks for the link - that might be very useful if i procrastinate too long!

• 1 month later...

Archived