Joske's Department Stores

Willsatx

from wiki so take it with a grain of salt

Baybrook Mall, Friendswood, Texas (opened 1978, became Dillard's 1987, replaced 2002; 135,000 sq. ft.)

Greenspoint Mall, Houston, Texas (became Dillard's 1987; 140,000 sq. ft.)

Gulfgate Mall, Houston, Texas (opened 1956, became Dillard's 1987, closed 1997; 200,000 sq. ft.)

Northline Mall, Houston, Texas (opened 1965, closed 1987; 160,000 sq. ft. )

Post Oak (freestanding), Houston, Texas (opened 1963, became Dillard's 1987; 300,000 sq. ft.)

Town & Country Mall, Houston, Texas (opened 1983, became Dillard's 1987, closed 2003 with Memorial City store opening; 200,000 sq. ft.)

Westwood Mall (Houston, Texas), Houston, Texas (opened 1975, became Dillard's 1987, closed 1998; 150,000 sq. ft.)

Willowbrook Mall, Houston, Texas (opened 1981, became Dillard's 1987, sold to Lord & Taylor 1997 [closed 2004] and moved to larger space vacated by Macy's; 120,000 sq. ft.)

Pasadena Town Square, Pasadena, Texas (opened 1982, became Dillard's 1987, closed 2006; 120,000 sq. ft.)

Guest Marty
According to my research, the Greenspoint Joske's (10 Greenspoint Mall) opened in 1980 and was identified as store #52.

I have a Space Jockey Atari Game and a Pac-Man mug that was on the newspaper clipping from Joske's Greenspoint that I have and my grandma's 1982 Christmas shopping list.

My favorite Joske's memory

In the early 70s Joske's had a one day "End of the Month" sale every month, and would put very low clearance prices on a lot of individual items just to get them out of the stores. The full page Joske's ads would list items available at each store, how many there were, and a ridiculously low price.

When I say "ridiculous" I mean it. One Saturday in 71, they were clearing some really nice looking double-breasted sports coats at the Town and Country store for six dollars each. I got a great looking sports coat I wore for years. I know, I really dated myself with this, but it was a good looking coat, while it was in style.

The Joske's "EOM" sales faded out in the mid 70s because they got too popular. They were loss leaders of course, but too many people were going just for the EOM prices, and not buying enough regular price stuff. So they stopped having them

Guest Marty

breakfast al fresco, cocktails and candelight. meetings and meals and schedules all balancing somehow. building, planning, sharing and caring: this is home , your home. a mosaic of period, texture, color, trivia and treasure-casual elegance. joske's is designed for the woman who decorates a la carte, experiments, gives full sway to her imagination. our shops are an artful collage of things old and new, large and small that bring your ideas into focus, express your individuality, create your aura.

Joske's Town and Country, Open August 5

Houston Chronical Friday August 1 1969

That's word for word. :huh:^_^

breakfast al fresco, cocktails and candelight. meetings and meals and schedules all balancing somehow. building, planning, sharing and caring: this is home , your home. a mosaic of period, texture, color, trivia and treasure-casual elegance. joske's is designed for the woman who decorates a la carte, experiments, gives full sway to her imagination. our shops are an artful collage of things old and new, large and small that bring your ideas into focus, express your individuality, create your aura.

Joske's Town and Country, Open August 5

Houston Chronical Friday August 1 1969

That's word for word. :huh:^_^

Very cool thanks Marty, I live in SA and we were lucky to have the Big Joske's downtown and it was awesome. Did they go all out for Christmas as they did here in SA?

The Wikipedia article on Joske's says they expanded into Houston in 1956. However, in the course of my research I came across a mention in the Houston Chronicle on August 17, 1947, indicating Joske's was going to take over the old Foley's store (400 block of Main?). That's even before Foley's had moved into their big new store and seems pretty bold, given all the hoopla that went on for months over the big new Foley's store. Seems like there'd be a real possibiility of being totally ignored by shoppers!

I don't know if they actually made the move then.

Guest Marty

Here's another ad by Joske's

July 31 1969 The Houston Post

children are very special people. each year brings change and growth and wonder. every age has its own needs, interest, favorite things. the trip from diapers to senior prom covers a lot of love, a lot of years and a lot of clothes. we've planned our shops for children most carefully in order to make that trip pleasant for everyone. mothers will appreciate the wide selections, the quality and convenience. children will like the individuality of their own shops, every one has fun and clothing to fit the age.

Joske's Town and Country, opens August 5

again this is word for word " children will like the individuality of their own shops"

My Grandma always bought all of our christmas decorations at Joskes in Gulfgate. I remember their basement looked like a winter wonderland at christmas time. Anytime we were at Gulfgate we ate at the Bamboo Room in Joskes basement. They had these fake frosted windows with tree branches illuminated from behind them. It made you think you were up in the air rather than down under the ground. They had the best ice cream sodas. I even remember the waitresses name. Margie. She was a little blonde lady. My grandma liked their coffee cups so much she had them order her a set. I still have a couple of them around somewhere.

The Wikipedia article on Joske's says they expanded into Houston in 1956. However, in the course of my research I came across a mention in the Houston Chronicle on August 17, 1947, indicating Joske's was going to take over the old Foley's store (400 block of Main?). That's even before Foley's had moved into their big new store and seems pretty bold, given all the hoopla that went on for months over the big new Foley's store. Seems like there'd be a real possibiility of being totally ignored by shoppers!

I don't know if they actually made the move then.

Yes, Joske's did open a store in Foley's old location on Main Street. I believe that it was home furnishings and furniture only - no clothing. I can remember shopping there with my parents. My mother bought a set of fine crystal goblets on sale there; I still have them. Martex towels from Joske's famous semi-annual White Sale were in the linen closet of my parent's new Bellaire home in the 1950's.

Although the more upscale stores - Battlestein's, The Fashion (which became Neiman's), Everitt-Buelow, The Smart Shop, Sakowitz, the new Foley's - were a few blocks south on Main, Joske's store and the JC Penney's on the corner of Main and Texas still attracted customers into the 1960's.

My Grandma always bought all of our christmas decorations at Joskes in Gulfgate. I remember their basement looked like a winter wonderland at christmas time. Anytime we were at Gulfgate we ate at the Bamboo Room in Joskes basement. They had these fake frosted windows with tree branches illuminated from behind them. It made you think you were up in the air rather than down under the ground. They had the best ice cream sodas.

Pretty cool the Joske's in downtown SA went all out for Christmas, they would have the whole top floor and it was called fantasyland. It was awesome because they had the whole floor decorated, breakfast with Santa, and a little train.

I have way to many memories of Joskee's. M Mother retired from there in 1986 after working for them for 37 years. Needless to say I spet a lot of times in the stores and worked there many times over the years during Christmas, the famous EOM sales and during inventory time.

Guest Marty

One more from Joske's

Wednesday July 30 1969 The Houston Post

man of the hour, this hour this time. man in motion, non-stop, moving up, interests abounding: home, family, career, hobbies, civil political concerns. the demands on his time are many. varied-so, too, the demands of his wardrobe. tee to green, coast to coast. little league field to big business boardroom- he wants only the best. that's what our men's shops are all about. everything in one convenient location, everything chosen with discernment by our buyers. for the man whose time is now, try us.

Joske's Town and Country, soon to open

One more from Joske's

Wednesday July 30 1969 The Houston Post

man of the hour, this hour this time. man in motion, non-stop, moving up, interests abounding: home, family, career, hobbies, civil political concerns. the demands on his time are many. varied-so, too, the demands of his wardrobe. tee to green, coast to coast. little league field to big business boardroom- he wants only the best. that's what our men's shops are all about. everything in one convenient location, everything chosen with discernment by our buyers. for the man whose time is now, try us.

Joske's Town and Country, soon to open

Thanks for that also Marty.

Guest Marty
Thanks for that also Marty.
Your Welcomed

I will post some more Joske's ad's but it will be most likely addresses. I typed this in by looking at my 1969 moon landing papers.

Your Welcomed

I will post some more Joske's ad's but it will be most likely addresses. I typed this in by looking at my 1969 moon landing papers.

That is so cool, the Joske's here in SA was 5 floors. I remember they had the "bargain basement" with a bookstore. But it was something that we never ever duplicated.

In the early 70s Joske's had a one day "End of the Month" sale every month, and would put very low clearance prices on a lot of individual items just to get them out of the stores. The full page Joske's ads would list items available at each store, how many there were, and a ridiculously low price.

When I say "ridiculous" I mean it. One Saturday in 71, they were clearing some really nice looking double-breasted sports coats at the Town and Country store for six dollars each. I got a great looking sports coat I wore for years. I know, I really dated myself with this, but it was a good looking coat, while it was in style.

The Joske's "EOM" sales faded out in the mid 70s because they got too popular. They were loss leaders of course, but too many people were going just for the EOM prices, and not buying enough regular price stuff. So they stopped having them

EOM was still going strong in the early 80s. Everything in the store was priced at an even dollar amount. For EOM the items were discounted then reduced by a penny so the price ended in .99, made them sound cheaper I guess.

Joskes had pretty good restaurants. The one at the Galleria was on the top floor facing south and had big floor to ceiling windows where you could see all the way to Bellaire. Once a month you could make reservations and they would have lobster night. They would fly in live lobsters from Maine to serve to the people who had reserved them. Once a year they would also have Breakfast with Santa for all the kids. Both were always a sell out. They also had a lunch counter you walked by on the way into the restaurant. They had the best BLTs and Grilled Chesse sandwiches, I had them for lunch at least 3-4 times a week.

joe

Joskes had pretty good restaurants. The one at the Galleria was on the top floor facing south and had big floor to ceiling windows where you could see all the way to Bellaire. Once a month you could make reservations and they would have lobster night. They would fly in live lobsters from Maine to serve to the people who had reserved them. Once a year they would also have Breakfast with Santa for all the kids. Both were always a sell out. They also had a lunch counter you walked by on the way into the restaurant. They had the best BLTs and Grilled Chesse sandwiches, I had them for lunch at least 3-4 times a week.

joe

I think I remember the Bamboo Room at the Gulfgate Joskes. Didn't it have some sort of single paned fan on the ceiling that would sweep back and forth to fan the guests? I vaguely recall that but assumed it was in Almeda Mall where we spent a lot of time shopping in its early days.

What I do recall about Joske's in Gulfgate was that I hated going there with my mom dragging me along to shop. The octagonal greenish brown tile plaza outside the mall entrance seemed vast and the best water fountain of the whole mall was there (I fell in once).

Guest Marty
How was the Joske's at the galleria, was it considered upscale?

I would think so because The Galleria is consider the best mall in Houston by many, a lot of famous people go there when they are in town also.

The Galleria Joskes was upscale...but they also had a bargain "basement" only it was on the top floor. My memories are from mid 70s I guess... My mom and I would spend hours in the bargain area finding the best deals.

I have many memories from Joskes. One of the earlier was probably late 60s at the Northline Store... we went shopping for new curtains for my bedroom. I sweet talked my mom into some hand painted panels that cost $22 for each panel.. I needed 6.. which was a ton of money for us at the time. And then she still had to buy the drapes that went on top. That was me being spoiled.

Archived