Ulysses Watkins Mansion At 2552 County Rd. 59

The way they advertise "institutional" as one of its possible uses worries me a bit. Especially since I live nearby this big boy.

When I look at the photos, especially the interior, the first thing I think of is "retreat center" followed by "rehab center". Both are "institutional," but nonetheless basically benign for neighbors.

When I look at the photos, especially the interior, the first thing I think of is "retreat center" followed by "rehab center". Both are "institutional," but nonetheless basically benign for neighbors.

My overactive imagination is quick to picture scenarios of psychotic escapees wandering onto my street. I beg the indulgence of all HAIF'ers while I struggle with this paranoia. :unsure:

My overactive imagination is quick to picture scenarios of psychotic escapees wandering onto my street. I beg the indulgence of all HAIF'ers while I struggle with this paranoia. :unsure:

Being in that house would likely make someone psychotic if they didn't start out that way, so I think you're right to be paranoid! I looked at the pictures after reading people's responses, and I was still struck dumb by the ceilings. I

t also seems very weird to me to spend millions on a house and not purchase at least one little tree to put around it.

I just had lunch with a licensed inspector who is familiar with this property. I asked him about it. Among other things, he said the grounds have alot of standing water after rainstorms. Evidently, little or no thought was put into drainage before the mansion(s) were constructed. A somewhatr perplexing and noteworthy fact, considering the amount of money put into these builds.

Edited by Timnwendy

Evidently, little or no thought was put into drainage before the mansion(s) were constructed. A somewhat perplexing and noteworthy fact, considering the amount of money put into these builds.

Little or no thought was put into the whole damn thing!

Though in other news, the beige property a few houses down (right behind the new fountain / stream) is coming along nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
The way they advertise "institutional" as one of its possible uses worries me a bit. Especially since I live nearby this big boy.

Then nursing home/assisted living would be the most likely conversion. I've never heard of a case where elderly facilities were a nuisance.

Edited by pestofan

• 6 months later...

I first saw the thing about 5 or 6 years ago. It's HUGE and ugly. if I've found the correct building on HAR, it's 31,000sq ft. Here's a pic of it. It has a 7 car garage.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...113207547169807

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...415094339622645

It's now for sale, but the question I have is, who built this thing?

• 3 months later...

i drive by these 2 houses every day and it never ceases to amaze me how from the side they are just as ugly as the inside. the first time i saw them i thought it was a boarding school from the size and looks of it. the larger house (i believe) has some damage to the side of it and i'm wondering if it was from the hurricane. i'm also wondering if they are ever going to fix it and get rid of it. there are too many people with no where to live to have a house this size and ugliness vacant! :-)

I passed by the behemoths again a few days ago. For some reason, the thought of those places being the perfect setting for a stereotypical teen slasher film came to mind.

Premise: Some stupid teens have a wild party at a big ole Texas Mansion in a rural area. Some slasher guy escapes from the prison about 25-30 miles down 288 and makes it there and kills everyone at the party except two lucky teens who manage to somehow get to help. Cast DPS officers and Pearland Police as a bunch of bumbling guys as they are in all teen slasher flicks. The end of movie.

They can have the premiere at the Cinemark at Silverlake and have Sheila Jackson Lee show up to steal camera time and talk about how much of a benefit to Texas that the movie full of D list actors was. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

The 60,000+ square footer is still for sale. They're looking to sell it as a commercial property, however. I was inside today, taking pictures. Can't really say much more than that right now. But will have pictures of the interior to share very soon. Let's just say that if you thought the smaller one was a mess, you ain't seen nothing yet.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...