Houston Proud

moni

I'm thinking that Houston is a wonderful place and most people on this forum agree. Maybe we could start a topic on why Houston is so special to us. The Houston CHGVB does a very good job on their My Houston pages, but there are probably as many reasons why someone chooses one city over another as there are people. Some were born here and never left because...? Some others moved here a result of corporate or company transfer and stayed because...? Others came to visit and never left because...? Others like me, use to call Houston home and have fond memories of our time there. Why do we still love it so??

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/media/sta...Statistics_Size

There's no sense coming up with another version of the HIWI list that Tory posted, which is huge, but maybe we could do something a little different and write the experience that most defines Houston for us.

Mine is growing up in the early 80's and spending weekdays at my grandmother's, since my parents both had jobs. She was a widow, and lived with two of my great uncles on a thirty acre tract in the Aldine area where she had grown up. Her parents (my great-grandparents) had been dairy farmers - they were Italian immigrants - and this had been their dairy farm. Of course the dairy was long gone, and there was just this big piece of land with clumps of woods that they couldn't sell.

Every afternoon at the same time my two great uncles would take a walk across the property, almost to the very back, and I would go with them. They'd just walk back there, then turn around and come back. They were old and walked slowly, and I at the age of five would sometimes grow impatient. Then after the walk was through we'd sit on this big tractor tire under a tree and watch the cars go by on Stuebner-Airline. And that's it; that's the experience. Just walking across that piece of land everyday with my uncles, and then sitting on the tire and watching the cars go by.

I didn't grow up here, but I can remember the exact moment when I first thought Houston was great. I was maybe like 15 and I saw a photo of Houston on the cover of a magazine. It was the view down Allen Parkway, with the angle making it look like the park around the bayou was huge. I was just blown away by how cool looking it was - this huge green park running right up to a series of incredible skyscrapers. So I was in love with Houston even before I moved here. :wub:

There's no sense coming up with another version of the HIWI list that Tory posted, which is huge, but maybe we could do something a little different and write the experience that most defines Houston for us.

Too many to choose from. I tried to come up with one epic anecdote, but its just not possible. What defines Houston's greatness cannot be summed up by any one measure, but by an amalgamation of little random epiphanies. Like the night before last, when I found myself eating a $2.50 meal consisting of a burger and fries at a seafood place in Pecan Park, surrounded by Mexicans, but watching a Chinese television station. Something about that situation blew me away. Where else could I have been but Houston?

Thousands of these little moments, strung together, that is what defines and redefines Houston to me.

Too many to choose from. I tried to come up with one epic anecdote, but its just not possible. What defines Houston's greatness cannot be summed up by any one measure, but by an amalgamation of little random epiphanies. Like the night before last, when I found myself eating a $2.50 meal consisting of a burger and fries at a seafood place in Pecan Park, surrounded by Mexicans, but watching a Chinese television station. Something about that situation blew me away. Where else could I have been but Houston?

Thousands of these little moments, strung together, that is what defines and redefines Houston to me.

I know you are right. I came to Houston as a very young woman, had 3 children and raised them in Houston. All of my Houston memories are good. Actually, I think different cities have certain things that appeal to the senses. Houston always smelled good to me. I really can't explain it any better. My hometown of St. Louis never felt "right" to me. Chicago reminds me of being young, a student and staying up late enjoying life. Chicago was fun, but Houston just feels so right. I love the tropical stuff and it always seemed so real as compared to Florida. Florida is so manicured that it looks fake to me.

Archived