ok computer guru's help me!

Of course if I can get the $10 plan, I will, I am still checking to see if it's possible where I live - and if I have to be a AT&T land line customer to qualify??

But the question is this. When I do the diag. test on hughes.net to see what my speeds are, it comes up with 600-800 / 48-56. From what I am reading that is sortof close to the 700/100 that AT&T is supposed to deliver. (can I trust this test??) My service seems so slow - of course they say for an upgraded modem I can change that maybe ($$$).

No doubt I would rather pay $10 vs. $60, and will -if I can, but is my speed going to be any better? I sure do spend a lot of time waiting for stuff to load. Hughes tech support says it's my browser and virus software, but everybody has that and they get much faster service with their dsl connections.

Any comments appreciated!!

$60 for HighesNet? Wow, what a ripoff! AT&T has rates starting at $15. I don't know if the $10 deal is available in Houston, but I get service at $20, and it is plenty fast for my needs...about 750. Roadrunner is much faster, at $45. Both are better than $60.

The $10 deal from ATT is available in Houston. However, you do have to have a landline to qualify (another $18/month).

If you have time, ATT is required by law to offer "naked DSL" in the next 6 months. That is DSL without the landline. It doesnt have to be $10 though, but will still be less than having the unnecessary phone line with all of its related taxes and fees.

$60 for HighesNet? Wow, what a ripoff! AT&T has rates starting at $15. I don't know if the $10 deal is available in Houston, but I get service at $20, and it is plenty fast for my needs...about 750. Roadrunner is much faster, at $45. Both are better than $60.

Ok, I'm starting to unravel this. The $10 plan is available here, but you have to have AT&T landline, which I am going to do today. Then go on the internet and order the $10 plan, they won't do it over the phone. The price will last thru 2009. THe speed will be about what I have now, but after paying $60, I can handle that for now knowing how much less I'll spend each month. And yes - what a ripoff for Hughes.net!!!

The $10 deal from ATT is available in Houston. However, you do have to have a landline to qualify (another $18/month).

If you have time, ATT is required by law to offer "naked DSL" in the next 6 months. That is DSL without the landline. It doesnt have to be $10 though, but will still be less than having the unnecessary phone line with all of its related taxes and fees.

Thanks. I don't mind switching my land line, I used to have it w/them. I switched to Sage to save money, but they doubled all the surcharges and the bill ended up exactly the same as before, so no problem to dump them.

I got cable internet since i don't have a landline. Earthlink had a promotion which was $30 for the first 6 months. After 6 months I moved and signed up again for 6 months for $30 (plus $0.99 basic cable). I have no complaints about Earthlink besides crappy tech support. The uptime has been pretty decent. I wonder if they still have that promotion now that Comcast is in town...

go on the internet and order the $10 plan, they won't do it over the phone

That's funny.

customer: yes, I would like to purchase the internet package

AT&T: OK, go online and order it.

customer: Uh...that's why I'm talking to you. You see..I don't have internet access.

AT&T: Oh I'm sorry, but you have to order it online. Just log on and goto this site.

custumer: I just told you I don't have internet access.

there is a phone plan that is 7.xx plus taxes but they don't offer it unless you ask. you don't have unlimited local calling so if you make many local phone calls this isn't for you. there is also an $11.xx plan which is local only. they will also try and require long distance. that isn't a requirement..period.

I have RoadRunner, and have speeds upwards around 4712 download with 380 upload. This is cable and I don't know if you have Comcast or not. If you do, RR is only $30 for the first 3 or 6 months, then it goes to $45, after you have been spoiled.

Archived