"New" Houston Icon

Simbha

I'm posting this as a new topic despite marc's wonderful "Houston Icon" topic. That topic seemed more about what *existing* buildings/monuments might be considered representative of the city although there were certainly a few original ideas as well. If the great and powerful mods choose to consolidate, so be it. :D

Here I'm looking for ideas on what you would "create" to be a new Houston icon. I've come up with two ideas, below.

The Petroleum Monument: This is a derrick-shaped large-scale monument dedicated to Houston's history as one of the most active energy cities in the world. I'm thinking 250'+ although a structure 500'+ might be appropriate (a la Tour Eiffel or the Gateway Arch) depending on its geographic placement. One thought I had was to build a Museum of Energy (perhaps a replacement for/expansion of the Weiss Energy Hall at HMNS at its base), owned by the HMNS itself. It could stand somewhere near the Museum district (perhaps on the south end closer to TMC) so as to not "stand out" too much - at 400-500 ft I believe it would be just over 100' taller than many of the TMC tallest.

Replacement for the Sam Houston Monument in Hermann Park: I'm thinking of a monument with the same basic style as the existing (mounted) monument on the green adjacent to HMNS. It would, however, take the entire green space (at least in width) and be proportionally as tall which (my calculations are VERY rough) would put it around 250' tall. Roughly, the Arch de Triomphe with a statue of Sammy-boy :D leading the troops to San Jacinto.

Other thoughts: I like the idea of a rocket garden in the city proper... perhaps somewhere near Sam Houston Park in downtown. This would IMO contrast nicely with the historic character of that park. I also like the idea of building a (smaller) monument to Houston's history as the first capital of the Republic of Texas, but this would not become a national or international icon IMO.

If you've got ideas, please let them flow. I'm just curious what others can think of.

(PS. I, for one, don't care for the "Spirit of Houston" concept proposed some years back. I felt it was monstrous but then again, some people didn't and that's OK.)

One "Spirit of Houston" coming right up !

spiritofhouston1.jpg

This is the main reaosn WHY there is no ICON. Nobody can come up with an idea that "the powers that be", can agree with.

How about a GIANT chrome pretzel to represent our Freeway Traffic that Houston is well known for ? Maybe look something like this, but it might get misconstrued as a drinking and driving ICON ? (we are well known for that also.) RIGHT RED !!!

pretzel-boy-2093.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I'm posting this as a new topic despite marc's wonderful "Houston Icon" topic. That topic seemed more about what *existing* buildings/monuments might be considered representative of the city although there were certainly a few original ideas as well. If the great and powerful mods choose to consolidate, so be it. :D

Replacement for the Sam Houston Monument in Hermann Park: I'm thinking of a monument with the same basic style as the existing (mounted) monument on the green adjacent to HMNS. It would, however, take the entire green space (at least in width) and be proportionally as tall which (my calculations are VERY rough) would put it around 250' tall. Roughly, the Arch de Triomphe with a statue of Sammy-boy :D leading the troops to San Jacinto.

Other thoughts: I like the idea of a rocket garden in the city proper... perhaps somewhere near Sam Houston Park in downtown. This would IMO contrast nicely with the historic character of that park. I also like the idea of building a (smaller) monument to Houston's history as the first capital of the Republic of Texas, but this would not become a national or international icon IMO.

I have no desire to see Sam replaced in any manner. At one time there was a proposal to mount the arch and Sam on the backs of two stainless steel elephants-that got shot down at once. I do like the idea of a rocket-specificly a Saturn V in Tranquility Park. At 36 stories it would demonstrate our role in directing and retuning the first humans to another celestial body besides the Earth. What other city on Earth can claim that distinction? None.

Archived