Sign in to follow this  
moni

Starwood brings aloft hotel to Houston

Guest danax
I wonder how many floors it will be? It looks like a really nice hotel!

I see it's a W offshoot. It looks like 5 stories plus a roof area in the rendering, a hip Holiday Inn. Very stereotypical early 21st century urban-trendy and will likely be dated in 10 years, classic in 50. Walking distance to the Galleria will be a plus.

There's a rendering and some project data here. It's from the same firm that will be investing in the old Sheraton downtown.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

I'm glad to see this coming to Houston, but Starwood needs to branch out with their Houston locations some. They already have four hotels in Uptown (two Westins, Sheraton Suites, St. Regis) and not a single location in Downtown Houston or the Texas Medical Center. They're obviously not doing this in the Dallas area, where they are building five of these, all in key business areas, including Downtown Dallas.

My biggest gripe about Starwood, as a frequent business traveler, has always been their lack of coverage in many locations.

I'm glad to see this coming to Houston, but Starwood needs to branch out with their Houston locations some. They already have four hotels in Uptown (two Westins, Sheraton Suites, St. Regis) and not a single location in Downtown Houston or the Texas Medical Center. They're obviously not doing this in the Dallas area, where they are building five of these, all in key business areas, including Downtown Dallas.

My biggest gripe about Starwood, as a frequent business traveler, has always been their lack of coverage in many locations.

Why Cant Houston get a damn W Hotel!!!! Its #4 in America an no W! but on the flipside Miami an Vegas just got theirs this year an those are very fashionable vacation spots, but that is besides the point I guess aloft is striped down W hopefully it does well an we get a W!

Why Cant Houston get a damn W Hotel!!!! Its #4 in America an no W! but on the flipside Miami an Vegas just got theirs this year an those are very fashionable vacation spots, but that is besides the point I guess aloft is striped down W hopefully it does well an we get a W!

Possibly because Miami and Las Vegas are popular convention destinations.

Why Cant Houston get a damn W Hotel!!!! Its #4 in America an no W!

I thought it was essentially confirmed in this thread there WILL be a 26-story W Hotel elsewhere in town in addition to the aloft project...

I looked at W site for future hotel no houston but Minneapolis an Phoenix are on there you have to be kidding me

You have to be a fool to drool for a W.

It's a damn hotel, people!

People do not choose their travel destination by hotel.

Exactly! Houston has plenty of world class hotel rooms available. Any visitor can find something to their liking - from luxury to budget options.

The "brand name" is not important when the product is good.

As I stated in the other W thread, I know someone who works for Starwood and is pretty familiar with their expansion plans. He said the next W that will be built in Texas will be built in Austin, not here. He said Houston will eventually get one, but we're pretty low on the list (as in, not on it at all at present). He also said all of the conjecture about Houston W locations in the other thread is just that - conjecture. All that said, that conversation was several months ago.

Edited by jim1126

As I stated in the other W thread, I know someone who works for Starwood and is pretty familiar with their expansion plans. He said the next W that will be built in Texas will be built in Austin, not here. He said Houston will eventually get one, but we're pretty low on the list (as in, not on it at all at present). He also said all of the conjecture about Houston W locations in the other thread is just that - conjecture.

I think this goes for the Ritz-Carlton as well.

I just got my Uptown Update, looks like the rendering is just a general rendering, as the final height will be 10 story's, not the 5 seen in the picture.

Also, it will sit at the Yorktown Westiemer intersection.

ALOFT HOTEL

AmREIT and Songy Partners LLC, two commercial real estate firms recently broke ground on aloft Hotel, a new genre under the Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide umbrella. the 10-story, 153 room hotel will feature guest lofts with ninefoot ceilings and oversized windows. Located at the corner of Westheimer and Yorktown, aloft Hotel will also offer a sleek, hip cocktail bar, indoor pool, fitness center and wireless Internet accessibility. the hotel is set to open in summer 2009.

Unless it's a poor mistake, it looks like it is twice as tall.

On a side note, this Second Life Virtual Tour is interesting.

Glad to see this moving forward! I'm looking forward to staying in one of these before long.

http://www.hotelinteractive.com/hi_index.a...rticle_id=10706

Aimbridge Hospitality to Manage aloft Houston Galleria As Part of Redevelopment Project

Aimbridge Hospitality has been selected by joint venture partners AmREIT and Songy Partners LLC, two commercial real estate firms with offices in Houston, to manage the aloft Houston Galleria, a Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. brand (NYSE: HOT). The 153-room property, located at 5433 Westheimer Rd., is part of a redevelopment project that will include renovation of a 135,000-square-foot office building and two parking decks. The property is expected to open in July 2009.

In addition to the aloft hotel, the AmREIT/Songy partnership will begin renovating the adjacent office building later this year. The office building will receive renovations to the lobby, common area, elevators and hardscapes.

I couldn't find a thread about this, which is pretty surprising considering this building is already at least 10 stores tall and was rather large. Unfortunately, I couldn't see what the building was called but it said "Mixed Use". I was driving west down Westheimer and noticed it. It was before York St. Maybe someone can shed some more light on this. I will be back in the area after Christmas and I'll bring my camera.

I couldn't find a thread about this, which is pretty surprising considering this building is already at least 10 stores tall and was rather large. Unfortunately, I couldn't see what the building was called but it said "Mixed Use". I was driving west down Westheimer and noticed it. It was before York St. Maybe someone can shed some more light on this. I will be back in the area after Christmas and I'll bring my camera.

There's got to be a thread on it somewhere. Things like that don't get by HAIFers. Where does York intersect with Westheimer? Can you give a link to a map showing the spot?

York is East End, right? ... Where does York cross Westheimer ??

If you mean Westheimer and Yorktown... it does have its own thread somewhere... Its a Hotel concept by Starwood called Aloft.

you're referring to the aloft hotel currently under construction at westheimer and yorktown. there are also several other large mixed-use developments waiting in the wings right in the galleria area in prime intersections. i was told that one was around 1-1.5 years out, with another large development at least 3 years out.

they've also constructed a plywood fence around the compass bank and parking garage on post oak... not sure what the timeline is for that property, but earlier (substantial) rumors had a very high end 5-star hotel + condo and retail going there, but this was probably 8 months ago when i heard that.

and of course, with the economy the way it is, i would take all info being passed along with a large grain of salt

you're referring to the aloft hotel currently under construction at westheimer and yorktown. there are also several other large mixed-use developments waiting in the wings right in the galleria area in prime intersections. i was told that one was around 1-1.5 years out, with another large development at least 3 years out.

they've also constructed a plywood fence around the compass bank and parking garage on post oak... not sure what the timeline is for that property, but earlier (substantial) rumors had a very high end 5-star hotel + condo and retail going there, but this was probably 8 months ago when i heard that.

and of course, with the economy the way it is, i would take all info being passed along with a large grain of salt

Well I took pictures of the current state of the aloft hotel and it looks like 4 or 5 stories of hotel on top of 4 stories of parking currently. It will definitely be much taller than the rendering on the sign in post 26. I also took some pictures of the surrounding area west and sw of the Galleria. It has changed much over the past few years. Hopefully when I get back to San Marcos I can put them on my comp and upload them.

Edited by dmoneybangbang

Interesting, I've passed this project by when driving down Westheimer for weeks now and despite the construction and the crane it never really hit me. Not enough to look for it on Haif, not enough to Google it. Usually when I see a project going up I look into what it is...

Guess its cause its so buried away in the Galleria area, and doesn't really stand out, perhaps?

Stayed at a Dallas-area aloft over Christmas. Starwood definitely has a winner with this concept. The rooms (lofts) themselves have just about all the amenities found at a W - 42" plasma, comfy bed, Bliss products, glass shower with rainfall shower head, etc. Lobby had a full bar, a 7-11-ish snack bar -- and a pool table! Also had a couple of computers you can use to check your e-mail. Of course, no valet parking or room service (or any other kind of "service" - which you'd have to pay extra for anyhwere else). Decor was completely modern in a West Elm sort of way. Furniture and materials quality isn't up to what you'd find at a W, but the overall effect is pleasing. It was a bargain at $71/night (although non-holiday rates are surely higher). I'm anxious for this place to open in Houston!

I've had three stays at aloft locations in the last month, and have been very pleased with all of them. The rooms are very modern and comfortable, and the showers are incredible. I had a few minor complaints; the large compact fluorescent bulbs used in the desk lamps are too big to fit completely inside the lamp, and hang out, creating a blinding glare right at eye level when working at the desk, at first I thought there was no iron and ironing board in the room but then discovered it's just well hidden, and on the last night of my third stay, the housekeepers ignored our room. However, overall the stays were great, and at a great price

I took some pictures of the hotel plus some of the area west of the galleria but I am not sure how to upload them. I have a flickr account if that helps.

when you "reply" down on the right there is a button that says "browse" you hit it and find the photo on your storage medium on your computer and then hit "upload" and after a bit of hour glass you will see it listed as an attachment

then when you hit "add reply" it is there in your reply

My pics were larger than 1 MB but thanks TexasVines I figured it out I believe.

Here are some pics of the aloft hotel:

S7300169.jpg

S7300170.jpg

S7300172.jpg

Here are some pics of Sage St. west of the Galleria:

S7300156.jpg

S7300159.jpg

S7300158.jpg

S7300160.jpg

St. George's Place on Hidalgo St.:

S7300163.jpg

S7300165.jpg

S7300166.jpg

S7300168.jpg

New apartment complexes along San Felipe at Fountainview and Winrock:

S7300179.jpg

S7300180.jpg

S7300184.jpg

S7300192.jpg

S7300196.jpg

S7300193.jpg

S7300194.jpg

S7300198.jpg

Random shots:

S7300177.jpg

S7300182.jpg

S7300182.jpg

S7300171.jpg

S7300161.jpg

Aimbridge Hospitality has been selected by joint venture partners AmREIT and Songy Partners LLC, two commercial real estate firms with offices in Houston, to manage the aloft Houston Galleria, a Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. brand (NYSE: HOT). The 153-room property, located at 5433 Westheimer Rd., is part of a redevelopment project that will include renovation of a 135,000-square-foot office building and two parking decks. The property is expected to open in July 2009.

Still on schedule, but with a firmer date. July 30th, 2009.

This place is a lot bigger than I thought it was gonna be.

Still on schedule, but with a firmer date. July 30th, 2009.

Quietly moved 2 weeks later, August 13th, 2009.

They have a webcam here along with a cool time lapse video

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/jedunn/alofthotel

It also seems that part of this project is to add a 4-6 story retail element on the far west side of the land, on the other side of the office building.

http://www.amreit.com/_filelib/FileCabinet...letter_0206.pdf

http://www.amreit.com/fw/main/5433_Westhei...tml?LayoutID=72

They have a webcam here along with a cool time lapse video

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/jedunn/alofthotel

It also seems that part of this project is to add a 4-6 story retail element on the far west side of the land, on the other side of the office building.

http://www.amreit.com/_filelib/FileCabinet...letter_0206.pdf

http://www.amreit.com/fw/main/5433_Westhei...tml?LayoutID=72

nice find.

between this, the proposed mixed-use developments on the NE and NW corners of post oak/westheimer, the redstone redevelopment, blvd place, 5 oaks place, and the light rail, the galleria area is going to look dramatically different in 5-7 yrs... maybe 10.

Edited by swtsig

Quietly moved 2 weeks later, August 13th, 2009.

and another week...

from their website: "Accepting Reservations for Arrival on or After August 20"

I just have to say, I drove by this place the other day and it's pretty ugly. The parking garage makes it look really bad. Some day developers will consistently be more creative with them...

Edited by lockmat