Best Chill Out Spots?

I am coming to UofH this fall for school. I just wanted to know what is the best "chill out spot" in town. You know, a restaurant with a patio for example, that is a great place to take some friends and visitors from out of town to have some appetizers, margaritas and that play good music. :)

I think you'll find that there are many places like this. you just have to find one that meets your specific criteria. for me, what kind of music they play is important but that can vary from person to person.

I am coming to UofH this fall for school. I just wanted to know what is the best "chill out spot" in town. You know, a restaurant with a patio for example, that is a great place to take some friends and visitors from out of town to have some appetizers, margaritas and that play good music. :)

depends, do u want cheap or lil pricey. what kind of env. do u want? country music, dance, hip hop, etc.? and r u lookin for a general area?

there are quite a bit of cool places to hang with friends just depends on what type of environment ur lookin for which can range from sam's boat to something totally opp.

I love Volcanos in The Village (at Bissonnet and Morningside). Awesome jukebox, fresh ingredients in their cocktails, and a great little menu.

Their strawberry/basil margarita is to die for!

stench of pot got old there.

We used to "chill out" on many of the roofs of various buildings at UH: the S&R I building, the Communications building, Oberholtzer...

One of the best views of downtown, IMO, is from the roof of the S&R I building. There was an art to getting up there...pretty easy as long as you don't mind stepping down from a balcony to a roof ledge 6 stories off the ground. :)

I like Tropioca in mid-town. It is more of a coffee shop, but is frequented by mostly (Asian) students, has fast, free WiFi, and they don't pressure you to keep buying drinks (coffee, teas, etc.).

They have a pretty decent menu for sandwhiches and a few desserts (nothing spectacular). Also, there are a couple of Vietnamese restaurants nearby and they don't mind if you brown-bag it from them.

Gs & Zs on Almeda (Museum district, previously 3rd Ward) is similar (smaller) but caters to a slightly older African-American crowd and the new yuppy/guppy/buppy/DINK residents to the area.

or maybe you were there when it was happening and that's why you're recommending it!

You may be right!

Come to think of it, they have always had incense lit in that place... and now that I think about it, that's what my sister used to burn in her room. And she smoked pot.

I've been had.

Thanks alot for the feedback guys!

Yeah, I'm looking for something casual, not very pricey. I don't mind where it is near UH, midtown, downtown, or uptown. Maybe something with a Mexican or tropical feel to it, but these places that you've mentioned sounds very good.

hmm - patios

restaurants - there's el pueblito on richmond near montrose, and recently a couple friends suggested hollywood vietnamese on montrose near fairview

brasil (westheimer and dunlavy) is a good place to hang out, especially if you're not sure about ordering food

Archived