Old Style Street Sign Stands Where Street No Longer Exists

JLWM8609

I was exiting I-10 EB at Washington Ave and happened to take a look to the right of the feeder road where Memorial Park begins. I saw one of those old concrete street sign posts standing in the middle of the grass. It said Washington Ave. on one side, and and North(something) on the other. Apparently, a street ran there before I-10 was constructed through the area in the 60's. I'm going to have to take a photo of it, but it looks weird standing there though no road runs through. Just another vestige of historic Houston lingering on amid progress.

I was exiting I-10 EB at Washington Ave and happened to take a look to the right of the feeder road where Memorial Park begins. I saw one of those old concrete street sign posts standing in the middle of the grass. It said Washington Ave. on one side, and and North(something) on the other. Apparently, a street ran there before I-10 was constructed through the area in the 60's. I'm going to have to take a photo of it, but it looks weird standing there though no road runs through. Just another vestige of historic Houston lingering on amid progress.

interesting...i glanced at a pre-I-10 map i have.

The only thing specifically shown right there with an North or N. on the map is:

NORTH ENTRANCE DR. (the entrance to memorial park) currently called E. Memorial Loop Drive.

Maybe they abbreviated the word Entrance, so you didn't recognize it?

Continuing on...just to see what streets were eliminated with construction:

My map shows a street named Kirkley in the I-10 alignment right there. On the east side of the RR tracks it would have been Long and Kolb in the alignment.

Looks also like there was also a short N-S street called Attar.

It ran due north from Washington@Hamman (straight through the IHOP) to the RR (intersecting with Allen St. which ran parallel with the tracks past where it ends now at Stillman).

I find it interesting that there used to be numbered streets just north of where the downtown post office is today (Second through 10th streets). I guess what surprised me was that they don't exist anymore.

And they weren't insignificant streets, either. I think the Adolphus Busch-founded American Brewery Association brewery covered an entire city block at Railroad and Second (2nd?).

The street changes in that part of the city have always interested me. There are still some nubs left of some streets that used to be much longer. And some name changes, too. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is a little to the west, in the 6th ward - Oak St. became Goliad St. at some point. Over where Frostown used to be, there is still a street sign for Frostown's Race St., even though what it marks is more like a path than a street.

The only street that would begin with North in that general area I believe would be North Post Oak

Great topic! I love this stuff. My friends moved over near Rice Military (West End) and bought one of those

mcmansions and there are still old concerete street markers over there. The construction crews don't usually have much

care and concern about them though. I hope the city can find it in their heart (budget) to maintain and protect more of our heritage.

interesting...i glanced at a pre-I-10 map i have.

The only thing specifically shown right there with an North or N. on the map is:

NORTH ENTRANCE DR. (the entrance to memorial park) currently called E. Memorial Loop Drive.

Maybe they abbreviated the word Entrance, so you didn't recognize it?

Here is the answer. This may be a topic killer unless we expand to all old street signs...I also like the tile curb street signs. Apparently the North Entrance to Memerial Park used to be here:

Cool! Where do I go pick up my prize? :P

ooh time to round up some pictures - i can only find a couple laying around for now:

this one is next to the old Alamo Plaza Motor Hotel, but i posted it somewhere else on HAIF and don't think anyone knew why it was situated like this:

blythewood.jpg

this one is just east of downtown:

congress.jpg

I haven't seen it myself, but someone recently told me there's also one at Reveille and the South Loop. One side says "Reveille" and the other says "Holmes Rd"...the South Loop was constructed on top of old Holmes Rd in that area.

That sounds like the vicinity where Peppermint Park and the Carousel Motel was.

ooh time to round up some pictures - i can only find a couple laying around for now:

this one is next to the old Alamo Plaza Motor Hotel, but i posted it somewhere else on HAIF and don't think anyone knew why it was situated like this:

blythewood.jpg

this one is just east of downtown:

congress.jpg

I'm surprised that nobody has run into that post head on.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Streets and Naming, anyone know why numbered streets 1-40something are northside going east-west and then 50something - 99th st are on the east side going north south???

Also has anyone noticed in the last 10 yrs the postal service (I guess) or the city has renamed all streets to "street" unless it was a major street. Since Gail Borden designed the streets of Houston in the mid 1800's most streets in Houston going east-west were AVENUE (exp: Capitol Ave, Texas Avenue, Polk Ave, Dallas Ave, Gray Ave) and north south streets were STREET (exp: Main St, Fannin St, Smith St) of course there were exceptions Like Harrisburg Blvd, Westhiemer Rd, Wayside Dr.... but now all the Ave's are Street, I grew up on Capitol Ave and now its Capitol St, I notice Dallas is now ST and so are most others, a few other were just to popular to change I guess, like Richmond Ave, Washington Ave....??? When I was editor of the Houston Community College Systems newspaper I was going to write I story about this but i never could get an answer.

Guest Marty

I remember the concrete post in the subdivision i grew up in called Oakwilde 2 which was surveyed and platted in 1958

Speaking of Streets and Naming, anyone know why numbered streets 1-40something are northside going east-west and then 50something - 99th st are on the east side going north south???

Also has anyone noticed in the last 10 yrs the postal service (I guess) or the city has renamed all streets to "street" unless it was a major street. Since Gail Borden designed the streets of Houston in the mid 1800's most streets in Houston going east-west were AVENUE (exp: Capitol Ave, Texas Avenue, Polk Ave, Dallas Ave, Gray Ave) and north south streets were STREET (exp: Main St, Fannin St, Smith St) of course there were exceptions Like Harrisburg Blvd, Westhiemer Rd, Wayside Dr.... but now all the Ave's are Street, I grew up on Capitol Ave and now its Capitol St, I notice Dallas is now ST and so are most others, a few other were just to popular to change I guess, like Richmond Ave, Washington Ave....??? When I was editor of the Houston Community College Systems newspaper I was going to write I story about this but i never could get an answer.

there's a book available at Brazos called Historic Houston Streets: the Stories Behind the Names (by Marks Hinton)...not sure if it explains street/avenue and changes, but it's the closest thing i can think of

Still boggles my mind to think of when we kids used to actually stand on top of those concrete poles/signs. :wacko: One foot on top of the other! It would last for seconds then you had to jump off. Ouch!

Sitting was quite scary and quite painful as well. When you have a crowd you do silly stuff I guess. :lol:

congress.jpg
No way... That red building there in the foreground was listed on HAR for about 8 months. I seriously considered it after finding out it used to be an old fire station. I hope someone restores it and doesn't just tear it to the ground. It's a great looking building.

• 10 months later...

The suburban nabe I grew up in (Oak Meadows) had those concrete posts, most houses were built in the early/mid 1950's. It was a hood mainly for the working class (chemical workers) & their families. No "fancy blue tile work" street signs for us.

Woodhead_Sign.jpg

I wish these mosaic tile street name thingies were still being used today. They actually do serve a good purpose. Frustrating to see where bad drivers or accidents have broken off pieces as in this photo. Over on Dumble street in Near East End you can see where workers have just recently "excavated" 1400 Munger and Dumble due to present addition of sidewalks. (Took over 50 plus years for city to do). :o

The old street concrete street label signs can still be found in most of older East End. Most just laying on the ground. Santo cielo!

• 1 month later...

Another concrete post, another street name issue (apologies if this has been discussed somewhere already).

Westmoreland v. W Moreland - was this just a space issue? (it seems three extra letters could have fit...):

wmoreland.jpg

Another concrete post, another street name issue (apologies if this has been discussed somewhere already).

Westmoreland v. W Moreland - was this just a space issue? (it seems three extra letters could have fit...):

wmoreland.jpg

I have one on my street and have the urge to fill in the letters....or do I need permission from the city?...hmmm... :ph34r:

Archived