World Trade Center in Dallas

C2H

Hey guys, i'm sorry to start a comparison thread and is no way meant for trying to bring up a Dallas VS Houston fight. So to those who plan on making this a fight, please don't post to this thread.

I'm just curious about the Dallas Word Trade Center. Why is it they have a WTC and Houston doesn't? Could Houston's equivalent be the Port of Houston since there's alot of goods and trades directy with other countries? I know Dallas is a more convention city so i don't know if that has something to do with it.

Just something i've been curious about.

Hey guys, i'm sorry to start a comparison thread and is no way meant for trying to bring up a Dallas VS Houston fight.
hmm with a title like "does it make it more of a global city than Houston?" not sure if i believe you. as far as i know, houston had one over by annunciation for yrs but i think it moved somewhere else downtown

hmm with a title like "does it make it more of a global city than Houston?" not sure if i believe you. as far as i know, houston had one over by annunciation for yrs but i think it moved somewhere else downtown

No, it was reincarnated as the Inn at the Ballpark.

Yeah, you're right. "I don't want to start a flame war, BUT... " Typical.

Anyway, if I understand correctly the Dallas World Trade Center is a component of the Market Center, which is a lot of wholesale showrooms for clothing, fabrics, and housewares. It makes perfect sense for Dallas' mix of business, since Dallas is a transportation and wholesaling hub. It has nothing to do with a being a convention city or a global city or whatnot.

The old Houston World Trade Center was on Texas in the building that is now the Inn at the Ballpark. The Houston world trade center was primarily to house offices for exporters, foreign consulates, and shipping company headquarters. The businesses migrated away as that neighborhood became more run down, but recently there was a proposal (that fell through) to convert the old downtown Sheraton to a new Houston world trade center. Although the building on Texas was also a "World Trade Center" its purpose was entirely different than the one in Dallas, so comparisons are entirely bogus.

well as far as your remark trying to turn this title into a war, i edited my post so it didnt just be a square off between Dal and Hou.

But does the POH serve just like a WTC

But does the POH serve just like a WTC

Did you read my earlier response? Define what you mean by a WTC. If you mean the activies carried on at the Dallas WTC, no it's not comparable. The port is a port, not a wholesale center or place for offices for importers.

The old Houston World Trade Center was on Texas in the building that is now the Inn at the Ballpark. The Houston world trade center was primarily to house offices for exporters, foreign consulates, and shipping company headquarters.
just spoke with my aunt who used to work for biehl shiplines at the old WTC. biehl ended up moving to the NW side but she said that evidently there is still a WTC here on smith but it's not like it was when she worked there.

as you said subdude, the trade center in dallas is not the same

New Orleans has one, too.

And it has (had) a cool little rotating bar at the top called "Top of the Mart".

It was nice. They used to call the building Internationl Trade Mart. They had to change the name becuase too many illegals thought it was a new K-Mart.

Did you read my earlier response? Define what you mean by a WTC. If you mean the activies carried on at the Dallas WTC, no it's not comparable. The port is a port, not a wholesale center or place for offices for importers.

actually i saw your comment on that after i made that comment. thanks!!!

The other responses have been exactly right regarding the Dallas "World Trade Center", and its nonsimilarity to the Houston World Trade Center.

The following is quoted from the Greater Houston Partnership website:

Houston World Trade Center

The Houston World Trade Center is housed at the Greater Houston Partnership

I am pretty sure that Houston has more consulates than Dallas, which in my opinion means more than having a "World Trade Center".

i agree but 19514's comment suggests that Houston still has a World Trade Center

I am pretty sure that Houston has more consulates than Dallas, which in my opinion means more than having a "World Trade Center".

You guys never cease to amaze me!!!!! Yall insist on finding something in Houston That is in some way better than The world Trade Center in Dallas....when it's been said that nothing compares...........That was not the purpose for this thread. but of course Dallas is always inferior to Houston............We all know that. :wacko:

You guys never cease to amaze me!!!!! Yall insist on finding something in Houston That is in some way better than The world Trade Center in Dallas....when it's been said that nothing compares...........That was not the purpose for this thread. but of course Dallas is always inferior to Houston............We all know that. :wacko:

Relax Dallasboi. I'm sure Jax was just using that as a comparison to show that simply having a WTC in a city does not automatically make you more global. I guess if he had compared Houston to Chicago, maybe the ol' Texas Rilvary wouldn't have come up.

I bought my wifes wedding ring at the WTC Dallas, and it's a pretty cool place. It's basically an open atrium office building that sells goods (clothing, jewelry, etc). Kind of like Harwin but more upscale.

I bought my wifes wedding ring at the WTC Dallas, and it's a pretty cool place. It's basically an open atrium office building that sells goods (clothing, jewelry, etc). Kind of like Harwin but more upscale.

What is Harwin? If you don't mind me asking.

One difference is that the World Trade Center (as part of the overall Dallas Market Center) is not open to the general public.

As I understand, it is a wholesale center for merchants who need "credentials" to visit and attend the shows.

I thinks Dallas' closest equivalent to Harwin are the shops around Harry Hines in Northwest Dallas.

Regarding this thread in general...

The name "world trade center" has no specified meaning and can be used in so many different ways that I am suprised that this discussion/comparison even exists.

One difference is that the World Trade Center (as part of the overall Dallas Market Center) is not open to the general public.

As I understand, it is a wholesale center for merchants who need "credentials" to visit and attend the shows.

I thinks Dallas' closest equivalent to Harwin are the shops around Harry Hines in Northwest Dallas.

The name "world trade center" has no specified meaning and can be used in so many different ways that I am suprised that this discussion/comparison even exists.

You can't just walk in the door and enter a showroom, you have to have a pass to do so. It is the same case with the Design Center on Woodway.

Correct. My wife's good friend was a clothing retailer at the time, and pulled the strings to get us in.

When I said Harwin I was refering to the plethora of shops competing with one another at discounted rates. By the way, I got a great deal on her ring, about 25% less than retail.

Archived