Indian and Thai food/culture in Houston?

rvaccha

Hi Friends,

I did a search and have found bits and pieces of information to answer my question, however, would appreciate some fresh thoughts.

I am moving to your wonderful city from Philadelphia, PA after having just completed my MBA and MA in International Studies. I will be living on Memorial Drive.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there a Thai population of any significance in Houston? I am interested in continuing my studies in the Thai language

2) Are there any good Thai restaurants near Memorial drive (zip 77007), I would like places with good food, rather than just a fancy overpriced eatery

3) I really enjoy Indian food (North and South Indian) and was wondering what the Indian population is like in Houston and what the availability of Indian food is, especially options that are priced reasonably.

I have seen a lot of census data on various immigrant populations and done the searches, but just wanted some first hand information. Should I expect Philadelphia where I had the choice of 3-4 Indian restaurants, all of which were terrible, and had to drive 25 miles (which is a lot in Philadelphia) to eat South Indian food (e.g. Dosa)

Thanks friends,

Andy

Hi Friends,

I did a search and have found bits and pieces of information to answer my question, however, would appreciate some fresh thoughts.

I am moving to your wonderful city from Philadelphia, PA after having just completed my MBA and MA in International Studies. I will be living on Memorial Drive.

1) Is there a Thai population of any significance in Houston? I am interested in continuing my studies in the Thai language

2) Are there any good Thai restaurants near Memorial drive (zip 77007), I would like places with good food, rather than just a fancy overpriced eatery

3) I really enjoy Indian food (North and South Indian) and was wondering what the Indian population is like in Houston and what the availability of Indian food is, especially options that are priced reasonably.

I have seen a lot of census data on various immigrant populations and done the searches, but just wanted some first hand information. Should I expect Philadelphia where I had the choice of 3-4 Indian restaurants, all of which were terrible, and had to drive 25 miles (which is a lot in Philadelphia) to eat South Indian food (e.g. Dosa)

Thanks friends,

Andy

Lots of options for both Indian and Thai. Nit Noi is good, cheap Tthai and is close by.

1) Yes, and there's probably a consulate in town that can put you in touch with the right folks.

2) b4-u-eat.com should have all the answers you want. I don't care much for Nit Noi, personally. Way too Americanized.

3) Yes, there is a big Indian population, but the best selection of Indian food and at reasonable prices is in southwest Houston, especially along Hillcroft (8-10 miles from you). I can't say much about the north/south issue for lack of knowledge, but I can tell you that your selection will be plenty large enough to satisfy you.

unfortunately food is something that is plentiful here and my waist shows it. i'm sure you'll have no problem finding something that you like at a reasonable price. where you are considering relocating, prices tend to be inflated restaurant-wise, but i promise you'll find good Indian and Thai. As Niche said, you'll have to avoid the Americanized ones.

I've always been given to understand that Houston has a large Indian community. I haven't heard the same about the Thai community (as opposed to, say, the Vietnamese community, which is sizeable), but I know that there is a Thai community of some size - might try asking these folks.

Regardless where you are on Memorial, there should be a number of Indian and Thai restaurants fairly close to you. There are several of both in the Montrose/West U. area alone. Madras Pavilion on Kirby specializes in South Indian food (they are also vegetarian), and I like their dosai and other food. I know there are other South Indian restaurants a little farther out. Try doing a search here or here to find more.

I've always been given to understand that Houston has a large Indian community. I haven't heard the same about the Thai community (as opposed to, say, the Vietnamese community, which is sizeable), but I know that there is a Thai community of some size - might try asking these folks.

Regardless where you are on Memorial, there should be a number of Indian and Thai restaurants fairly close to you. There are several of both in the Montrose/West U. area alone. Madras Pavilion on Kirby specializes in South Indian food (they are also vegetarian), and I like their dosai and other food. I know there are other South Indian restaurants a little farther out. Try doing a search here or here to find more.

Right around the corner on Richmond is Khyber, which is supposed to be north Indian cuisine. A little pricey for a quick lunch however. Shiva in the Village is OK, but I would avoid Bombay Brasserie at all costs.

For some reason there are a number of good Thai places around Rice Village. My favorite by far is Patu on Rice. Very tiny place, but good.

b4-u-eat.com lists 78 Thai restaurants; Kanomwan on Telephone is highly regarded. 49 Indian plus additional Pakistani and Indo-Pak. You can search on the site by type of cuisine, zip code and area of town. The site probably only lists 60-70% of what's actually out there.

Are you familiar with Pakistani? Himalaya, on 59S @ Hillcroft, where there are also Indian restaurants, is very good.

In Houston it is often necessary to drive some distance to find the best restaurant because we're so spread out so the one in your neighborhood may not be the best choice.

b4-u-eat.com lists 78 Thai restaurants; Kanomwan on Telephone is highly regarded.
since they moved closer to lockwood, the restaurant has changed for the worse. the times i've been in the evening, there have been less people. someone else i know went for a late lunch and the owner turned off the a/c so that people would get hot and leave. guess timing is everything. i still thought the pad prig king was good.

since they moved closer to lockwood, the restaurant has changed for the worse. the times i've been in the evening, there have been less people. someone else i know went for a late lunch and the owner turned off the a/c so that people would get hot and leave. guess timing is everything. i still thought the pad prig king was good.

That's interesting. I'd always known that he was considered a kind of 'food nazi' but hadn't heard any stories except for how he usually has a really dour look on his face.

• 2 weeks later...

Best Indian food IMO: (I am indian btw)

North Indian/Punjabi - India's, Kiran's (americanized)

South Indian - Shri Balaji Bhavan on Hillcroft

Meat dishes - Savoy on Wilcrest

Gujarati - Bhojans on 59S near hillcroft.

Indo-Chinese - Bamboo Garden - Sugar Land.

Best Indian food IMO: (I am indian btw)

North Indian/Punjabi - India's, Kiran's (americanized)

South Indian - Shri Balaji Bhavan on Hillcroft

Meat dishes - Savoy on Wilcrest

Gujarati - Bhojans on 59S near hillcroft.

Indo-Chinese - Bamboo Garden - Sugar Land.

Thanks, I really like Indian food.

Is pratha north or south indian or both food?

What about naan, common staple?

Archived