Sign in to follow this  
TheNiche

Exxon Building, 800 Bell St.

Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!

It looks a little dated, but you have to respect the decorating they do on it during the holidays. That giant Peace On Earth globe with the doves warms the cockles of my heart, and I'm not even Christian.

Edit: Here's a picture for those who haven't seen it: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2374/211707...c535946.jpg?v=0

Edited by kylejack

I love this building, even though I've never been inside. I'm sure they don't take kindly to random strangers just trapsing in. It's just so stylized 60's. On another note, kylejack, I don't think you have to be Christian to want world peace. If it was a cross or something, that'd be a different story.

Welton Beckett was architect for it as well as the Capitol Records building in Hollywood. He had a thing for those sun-shading ledges.

post-5588-1234889152_thumb.jpg

post-5588-1234889178_thumb.jpg

I love this building, even though I've never been inside. I'm sure they don't take kindly to random strangers just trapsing in. It's just so stylized 60's. On another note, kylejack, I don't think you have to be Christian to want world peace. If it was a cross or something, that'd be a different story.

Don't be intimidated. Trapse on in and check out the food court in the basement. The food, the prices and the variety rock!

Don't be intimidated. Trapse on in and check out the food court in the basement. The food, the prices and the variety rock!

No badge checkpoint at entry? That surprises me.

No badge checkpoint at entry? That surprises me.

The checkpoint is within the lobby, in order to access the elevators, etc. Just take the stairs to go down.

Humble Oil gave away little plastic models of the building at ENCO filling stations back when the building was being constructed. The toy was about five inches tall and had a weighted bottom so that it could be used as a paper weight. My older brother kept it on his desk for years up until he got out of high school. I guess it got thrown away when my parents cleaned out his room, which is amazing because they kept alot of our crap.

Humble Oil gave away little plastic models of the building at ENCO filling stations back when the building was being constructed. The toy was about five inches tall and had a weighted bottom so that it could be used as a paper weight. My older brother kept it on his desk for years up until he got out of high school. I guess it got thrown away when my parents cleaned out his room, which is amazing because they kept alot of our crap.

I used to have one of those too. They show up on eBay every now and then.

I used to have one of those too. They show up on eBay every now and then.

Love it too. Understand it is strong structurally so in case of a tornado or something you want to be in it. I would opt for the basement myself anyway.

I own ExxonMobil stock and glad they didnt spend my share of profits on a fancy building, all that would do is st art the tongues wagging about gasoline is over priced if they can build a fancy building yada yada.

After Pennzoil Place, it is my second favorite building in Houston. So, Love it. As a courier I have seen pretty much all of it. It is still the simplistic exterior that I love. Now that I have hear "the Cracker Building" It is even more endearing to me. As someone here said the Club on the top two floors are dated, but in a tacky, cool way I guess. That was a year ago, perhaps they've been updated now. It will be interesting what happens to this building now that Exxon is "moving on up" or should I say up North.lol

Z Car

1795388802_494ba4746e_b.jpg

Humble (ExxonMobil) Building

The parking lot that takes up a half block to the West of the Exxon Tower, north of the Exxon Garage, and south of the Wedge Tower is now being razed. The Chevron daycare (designed by Kirksey) that takes up the other half of the block is not part of this development.

Hate it, looks unfinished and or like they never took the scaffolding down. I also believe Houston would benefit from more blue tinted glass towers reflecting the the sky as we already have the gritty concrete look category covered.

The parking lot that takes up a half block to the West of the Exxon Tower, north of the Exxon Garage, and south of the Wedge Tower is now being razed. The Chevron daycare (designed by Kirksey) that takes up the other half of the block is not part of this development.

FYI this was part of a simple re-tenanting of the bldg. The lot was just resurfaced, re-striped, and the fence between the two lots was taken down. The auto-drop off was slightly re-designed on the civil too.

Edited by infinite_jim

I like it because my dad worked for Exxon (Hunble Oil) back in the 50's and moved there from the old building downtown, which had no A/C, and was on one of the top floors that I got to visit. I think at that time it was the tallest building in town.

He would take me around to look at all the birds that hit the windows and landed on the overhangs. :)

• Like 1