800 Bell St. (Former Exxon Building) Conversion to Residential

TheNiche

Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!

Question regarding the four floating purple rectangles in the middle of the facade... is there any reason why they start and stop where they do, or why there are four of them and not 3 or 2 or 7? Or is it completely arbitrary?

Wouldn't this design look better if they were combined into one continuous purple rectangle running top to bottom? Or if they were removed altogether?

I think they are defined by the unlit floors utilized for utility, mechanical, equipment and ventilation purposes.  

• Like 2

The more I look at the design, the more I love it.

It's funny cause I am getting the exact opposite feeling.

I looked at the building at first and I immediately liked it. But more and more I am looking at it and thinking is just another glass box.

I think the building as is is one of the five buildings that I can't picture downtown without.

I am thankful that they are not blowing it up, and I do understand that the need for making it more marketable, but that still won't stop me from clinging to prominent fixtures in our skylines. Together with BOA, Heritage, Pennzoil and The former Continental building, the Humble/Exxon building stands out as the most representative of the buildings I associate with downtown

• Like 1

What do you mean, that their modern buildings have a retro sixties feel?

Actually, this could be New Yorkish too. I could see it either place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Berlin,_Mitte,_Leipziger_Strasse,_Komplex_Leipziger_Strasse_01.jpg         berlin

http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-image-barcelona-olimpic-villa-buildings-skyscrapers-image15920951      barcelona

I think the first one is not really a good comparison. This would be a more appropriate residential comparison. http://steventeoh.com/la-condos/sierra-towers-condos-for-sale.html (Sierra Tower Condos in Los Angeles).

It will be a shame to lose a unique building that was once our tallest & proudest. Who knows what other towers will follow suit until all of our buildings are all blue glass.

• Like 1

Unlike a demolition this building will be saved and re-used.  Perhaps in 20 or 40 years some other developer will wish to return it to its 1960s glory?  That is possible, even after such a large renovation, but it would take quite an effort and some significant rebuilding.

• Like 2

Unlike a demolition this building will be saved and re-used. Perhaps in 20 or 40 years some other developer will wish to return it to its 1960s glory? That is possible, even after such a large renovation, but it would take quite an effort and some significant rebuilding.

although I share your optimism, it is highly unlikely that they will turn a perfectly upgraded building back into a significantly smaller (7.1%) building that a lot of people didn't like in the first place.

I can imagine the effort it would take the architect to convince the owners to spend all that money to decrease lessable space in an effort to make the building look outdated.

Ruining a historic building to increase leasing potential makes financial sense.

Messing with a modern building by making it smaller in an attempt to recreate a not so popular style makes no sense whatsoever.

I would love it, but there would be no way to justify it

I can understand why the developer is making such a major investment here.  The thought process is probably that if they don't totally redo and refinish that the property quickly becomes 50 floors of vacant Class B space.  Given the upcoming surge in Class A space, and its location in the heart of the Parking District, there is a real risk that the Exxon Building could simply sit vacant for decades, like its neighbor the old Holiday Inn.  So from that perspective it makes sense to spare no expense on upgrading.  

• Like 1

although I share your optimism, it is highly unlikely that they will turn a perfectly upgraded building back into a significantly smaller (7.1%) building that a lot of people didn't like in the first place.

I can imagine the effort it would take the architect to convince the owners to spend all that money to decrease lessable space in an effort to make the building look outdated.

Ruining a historic building to increase leasing potential makes financial sense.

Messing with a modern building by making it smaller in an attempt to recreate a not so popular style makes no sense whatsoever.

I would love it, but there would be no way to justify it

Unfortunate but true. Though they could just build bigger fins that go around the new expanded structure instead of making it smaller. The only way I see it coming back is if they turn it into residential in the future and turn the fins into balconies, but your probably right that not enough people cared about the design to bother preserving it or bringing it back.

• Like 1

But in 40 or so years this building will be as outdated as the one they're currently "gussying up"

Don't doubt it.  Its possible.  And if the re-use is aimed at moving towards hotel or residential then its certainly a possibility.

And... you really aren't sharing my optimism.

And... you aren't really looking far enough into the future.  The same people who glazzed/re-clad over some of the current crop of historic buildings (at that time they were not historic) are the type of people who push for buildings like 800 Bell and the Allen Center to be changed.  Some preservationist in the future will bemoan those changes and push for a return to the original look.  History repeats itself.

Ugh, almost 10 floors lower than their place at ExxonMobile. So much for having my wedding reception there... Maybe they will move back after renovations? Heh

They still have the 2 upper floors distinguished from the rest of the tower in the new renovations like something would go up there

Agreed. Isn’t Hines still enlisting new tenants for 609 Main? Seems like the top two floors of that building would be a pretty neat/iconic place for the relocation if they have to move

But in 40 or so years this building will be as outdated as the one they're currently "gussying up"

Don't doubt it.  Its possible.  And if the re-use is aimed at moving towards hotel or residential then its certainly a possibility.

And... you really aren't sharing my optimism.

And... you aren't really looking far enough into the future.  The same people who glazzed/re-clad over some of the current crop of historic buildings (at that time they were not historic) are the type of people who push for buildings like 800 Bell and the Allen Center to be changed.  Some preservationist in the future will bemoan those changes and push for a return to the original look.  History repeats itself.

It is highly unlikely. The most I expect they would do after the building is redeveloped is refresh the interior, if needed 20 to 40 years from now - and reducing square footage to go back to the original form decades from now may be more unreasonable because there may be a time again in the future where office space will not be greatly available downtown. The building will not only go under a major redo because of new towers proposed, but because of how the building is somewhat isolated today. 20 to 40 years from now, the surrounding area may see more development and become attractive enough to where the owner may not see a need to do anything to the building, or be a factor why a tenant or tenants decides to stay in the building.

Some people may like the current state of 800 Bell, but there are many others that find the building outdated. Some unique buildings here in Houston that will always look how they stand today are Pennzoil Place, Bank of America Plaza, JP Morgan Chase Tower, Williams Tower - icons. Those are buildings people who don't know downtown Houston well can name when thinking of buildings in this city, 800 Bell and One Allen Center are not.

A tower going under similar redevelopment right now is 100 Van Ness in San Francisco. The biggest difference though is that the tower is being converted from office to residential use, but it's also getting the new all-glass look. You won't see Transmerica Pyrmaid in San Fran receiving a new look. Why? Because it's a icon to that city. My point is that many towers receive a new look, and they all don't go back to their "original look". 

Edited by invisibletrees

Some unique buildings here in Houston that will always look how they stand today are Pennzoil Place, Bank of America Plaza, JP Morgan Chase Tower, Williams Tower - icons.

Don't be so sure.  This is Houston.  I can see some of those towers being renovated if the developers set their mind to it.  Besides, none of them are historic and as such lack any form of protection from being drastically altered.

And as for my statement earlier - Its a wait and see.  None of us can predict the future.  In all likelihood it gets demolished rather than updated or renovated to original form in 40 years.  Because... again... Houston

• Like 1

Don't be so sure.  This is Houston.  I can see some of those towers being renovated if the developers set their mind to it.  Besides, none of them are historic and as such lack any form of protection from being drastically altered.

And as for my statement earlier - Its a wait and see.  None of us can predict the future.  In all likelihood it gets demolished rather than updated or renovated to original form in 40 years.  Because... again... Houston

Developers & owners know which towers are icons to Houston, and other cities. If one of those towers are redeveloped significantly, there would be a lot of people against it. You'd see "stop the Penzoil Place redo!" signs all over downtown.

But it's not an unreasonable way to approach between what to preserve and what to let go.  Although I generally detest remodelings, while Exxon is a nice period piece I don't think it makes the cut of being a symbol of the city, and as I said I can see the economic argument here.  That said, the Astrodome does make the symbolism cut and look at its fate.  The Shamrock Hilton certainly did and look at its fate.  It seems like relevance to the city's sense of itself frequently loses out to short-term economics.  

Nice, the cafeteria is still there. Those diagonal cross frames look pretty interesting and the vertical inset fins help dissolve the bulk of the floorplate. The existing bldg is pretty bulky for it's height or maybe that's an optical illusion of the solar shades. As far as missing the way the bldg looks now, I think I'll miss the newspaper stands along the sidewalk the most. I didn't grow up in the 60's but it's easy to see the appeal of its nostalgia. 

btw the bldg currently has it's holiday lighting up, enjoy it while it lasts.

Edited by infinite_jim

Stupid question here, but what is the lifespan of these downtown buildings. I suppose if I looked at NYC or Chicago I can get an idea (Empire, Crysler, Woolworth, ect.) but this building is already over 50 years old. Can we expect it to be sound and leasable 50 years from now?