800 Bell St. (Former Exxon Building) Conversion to Residential

TheNiche

Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!

I like the shot where it's just two guys having drinks and good ol' boy talk...

"You know, I thought the Audi A7 was better than the A6... but not quite as good as the A8."

"Heh, yeah, I see what you mean."

"Heh heh heh..."

I thought it was particularly interesting how they took the standard "people in architectural renderings" aesthetic and transferred it seamlessly to video form, the same detached synthetic creepiness was all there only more so. 

I thought it was particularly interesting how they took the standard "people in architectural renderings" aesthetic and transferred it seamlessly to video form, the same detached synthetic creepiness was all there only more so. 

I really like the sunken plaza scene where it is obviously in late January or early February. People in suits sitting outside.

If this is going to look like the 3d renderings, I am impressed. I wish the architect of the Wesleyan project and ChiTown's Aqua would have tackled this and made it into a seemingly rippling balconied wonder. BUT, alas, this is not the case. I for one like the new design and think it will add to our skyline, despite my reservations that recladding every building pre 70s may become imminent.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/10/inside-theformer-exxon-buildings-transformation.html

You can add another tower to the ever-growing lineup of new buildings on tap for downtown Houston, according toTranswestern.

Currently known by its address, 800 Bell, the 45-story tower occupied by Exxon Mobil Corp. is not being renovated. It’s being reconstructed, said Eric Anderson, executive vice president at Transwestern’s Houston office, which is marketing the property.

“It will be a newly developed product. The only thing that is being reused is the concrete. Everything else will change,” he said. “It will have all the same attributes of the new office buildings being constructed downtown.”

The new design will include floor-to-ceiling windows, 9-foot ceilings, widened floor plates, a three-floor expansion of the existing parking garage, a 12,000-square-foot fitness center, a food service area, an outdoor courtyard, a conference center and a connection to the underground tunnel system.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...