800 Bell St. (Former Exxon Building) Conversion to Residential

TheNiche

Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!

I hope that isn't a new design. The Ziegler Cooper proposal looked pretty good. I also think that it would be better if this was converted into residential. We might be able to get all of our office proposals built if this one wasn't adding more office space to the market.

Edited by fkp5
  • Like 1

they are actually trying to open up the tunnel system to the surface to bring more of the mole people outside.. which has been on the mayors agenda for a while now. as of right now the only external street level entrance to the tunnel system that i know of is at Wells Fargo. 

An entrance that frequently has the steps roped off and the doors locked during business hours, for some Providence unknown reason.

Note - Another good way to get the mole people above ground is to close off their tunnel access, as will soon happen for two years +/- to people trying to get to/from Chase via their only link with the bulk of downtown through the hub under the expiring Houston Club Building.  I can't help but wonder what the over/under will be on some sort of interim solution.

Note - Another good way to get the mole people above ground is to close off their tunnel access, as will soon happen for two years +/- to people trying to get to/from Chase via their only link with the bulk of downtown through the hub under the expiring Houston Club Building.  I can't help but wonder what the over/under will be on some sort of interim solution.

Nothing wrong with mole people...

A similar situation arose a few years back when the old Woolworths was demolished for a parking garage.  The tunnel was closed briefly, but as soon possible a temporary plywood tunnel was built through the basement level and construction continued.  Then the new tunnel opened and what had been the temp tunnel was finished out.  There's no way they would block tunnel access during a full two-year construction period. 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with mole people...

You are correct, Subdude.  I've been a dedicated mole person for my entire adult life.

Yesterday the tunnel heading into the soon to be JW Marriott at 806 Main (and from there to points east) got walled off, leaving only narrow passages to access 801 Travis's mailboxes and shuttle elevator.

Yuck.  I get the concept of wanting to make the floor plates bigger, but this is a mistake.

Anyone want to bet that in 40 years or so, someone will be trying to replace the fins to honor the original design, just as we're now trying to repair the damage caused by the '60s pasted on cladding on things like the JW Marriott?

• Like 3

I agree with Texasota and mollusk 100%.

They are ruining a unique looking classic to create something that's bland and ugly from the get go.

Just like the Texas Tower I guess this will make it easier to demolish. I Can hear it now, they will say the building is no longer historic, it has lost its character, let's just demolish it and build something else. The Texas Tower was so attractive, and they just crippled it to the point where no one would care if it goes.

yep.. its a damn shame.. TBH the new design isnt THAT bad. hopefully the lighting at the top will be color changing or something, but im really bummed they are replacing a 60s mid century modern design.

I agree it isn't THAT bad, I wouldn't mind it if it was another infill project. But if you are redoing an iconic building, it should be better than "not that bad", it should be awesome.

And they should somehow honor the original design, maybe with horizontal bands of contrasting glass, or even glass fins like BG place.

• Like 2

I thought the original idea in the renovation was to turn the Petroleum Club into lighting (I might be off on that). It looks as if these newer proposals indicate the Petroleum Club floors will be usable space. I prefer the opportunity for some signature lighting elements Downtown.

• Like 1

Compare the thicknesses in these two renderings:  one thinner than the current building, one thicker.  What's up with that?  The inconsistency seems rather sloppy.  Is the firm doing the designs using interns who aren't talking to each other for these renderings?

Does anyone know who made these renderings?  I checked the Ziegler Cooper website and I don't see them.  I'm not a fan of these renderings, but love the one's that the architecture firm has on their website.  I guess these were made at a moment's notice.

• 1 month later...