Empty Lot At Jackson St. And Ewing St.

Jax

Every day I drive by this lot at the corner of Jackson and Ewing with a big "For Sale: Stan Creech Properties" sign. It's a huge lot right across from Hermann Park, amazing location, with a fence around it. I was wondering if anybody might care to guess how long it will stay empty and what it might become. There are a few nice apartment complexes in this area, and it's also prime museum space (one block from the Health Science Museum and the Children's Museum). I like the way one of the apartment complexes in the area is, with a cobble stone street running between the two buildings and parallel parking (almost like Post Midtown Square minus the retail). Anyways, I'm often wondering if anything is planned for this area. Does anybody have any ideas?

Every day I drive by this lot at the corner of Jackson and Ewing with a big "For Sale: Stan Creech Properties" sign. It's a huge lot right across from Hermann Park, amazing location, with a fence around it. I was wondering if anybody might care to guess how long it will stay empty and what it might become. There are a few nice apartment complexes in this area, and it's also prime museum space (one block from the Health Science Museum and the Children's Museum). I like the way one of the apartment complexes in the area is, with a cobble stone street running between the two buildings and parallel parking (almost like Post Midtown Square minus the retail). Anyways, I'm often wondering if anything is planned for this area. Does anybody have any ideas?

A highrise medical office condominium building is being planned by a developer in NYC in the area, and there are is an apartment complex on Almeda that is being built, along with townhomes scattered throughout the surrounding neighborhood. For the moment, I'd imagine that what is for sale is just for sale. Also, the Children's Museum is going to build a new wing.

I know the apartments you're talking about, btw. They're respectable from the outside, but the interior is so-so. The common areas are all open to the weather and the units are pricey and don't have a very high-end finish for what you get. ...but some units overlook Hermann Park and views from the top of the parking garage are pretty decent if skyline photography is your thing.

Both the highrise and the Childrens museum expansion are happening close by on Binz. Regardless of the apartments themselves, I think the area has some potential. I live in the area, so I'm interested to know what might happen in the future.

Both the highrise and the Childrens museum expansion are happening close by on Binz. Regardless of the apartments themselves, I think the area has some potential. I live in the area, so I'm interested to know what might happen in the future.

Ah, ok. When you notice that the sign is removed, give Creech a call and ask about it. Be sure to report back to us on HAIF. ...you aren't the only one interested in what's happening on that prime site.

• 1 month later...

The sign has been removed as of today (or in the last few days)! I wonder who bought that lot! It's actually a lot bigger than I previously thought and has a lot of nice trees on it (at least it's not an ugly empty lot). I'll miss the trees but I'm anxious to find out what's going to be there. It'd be a lot better location for a mixed use development than a lot of the ones that are planned due to the proximity to the rail and the park and the museums and the medical center.

The sign has been removed as of today (or in the last few days)! I wonder who bought that lot! It's actually a lot bigger than I previously thought and has a lot of nice trees on it (at least it's not an ugly empty lot). I'll miss the trees but I'm anxious to find out what's going to be there. It'd be a lot better location for a mixed use development than a lot of the ones that are planned due to the proximity to the rail and the park and the museums and the medical center.

...you might think so, but the traffic count is light and pedestrians are pretty sparse most days. Expect apartments, possibly condos, and probably a midrise or somewhat less probably a highrise configuration.

I see more pedestrians around here actually than most other parts of Houston besides the medical center and downtown. A lot of people who live in the apartments in this area commute to work in the medical center on the metro, and there is some foot traffic around the museums and hermann park as well.

I see more pedestrians around here actually than most other parts of Houston besides the medical center and downtown. A lot of people who live in the apartments in this area commute to work in the medical center on the metro, and there is some foot traffic around the museums and hermann park as well.

Yeah, that is true, but relative comparisons within Houston don't support retail. The hard numbers do. Also, the museum district and Hermann Park stops are among the most lightly-used LRT stations, and are located too far from this site to be either highly visible or convenient by foot.

You're right, it would not be highly visible from the stations but it would be visible from some of the museums, and in close proximity to a lot of apartment complexes and townhomes (including Mosaic). I guess that's not enough though.

It would be really cool to have an "urban village" (or whatever they call it) type of area close to the medical center where people could live in close proximity to the metro and commute to work, and have retail near by. Most of the apartments convenient to the medical center are in really ugly, desolate areas, such as Almeda south of Holcombe. There's nothing in that area but self storage warehouses and huge low/mid rise apartment complexes. The museum district is close to the med center but still kind of nice and walkable, that's why I had the idea about mixed use. I guess it's just a dream though.

It's kind of sad because I like this location a lot more than somewhere like Main & OST (another proposed mixed use location in an ugly big box filled neighborhood), but I guess Main & OST has the visibility....

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Empty Lot At Jackson St. And Ewing St.

Archived