Rise Lofts At 2000 Bagby St.

houstonnoob

Can anyone chime in about this place - www.riselofts.com ?? the prices look extraordinarily cheap compared to the ohter places such as the cosmopolitan and the mosaic. And i am trying to figure out why is the case since they look comparably nice.

Any info about the:

(1) place itself

(2) location

(3) etc

Would be very helpful. Thanks.

• Like 1

Can anyone chime in about this place - www.riselofts.com ?? the prices look extraordinarily cheap compared to the ohter places such as the cosmopolitan and the mosaic. And i am trying to figure out why is the case since they look comparably nice.

Any info about the:

(1) place itself

(2) location

(3) etc

Would be very helpful. Thanks.

They are cheaper because they are "used." They were apartments first, now Post is converting to condos. When you buy a new condo -- in Houston -- you pay a huge premium. It's a lot like buying a new car vs. a used car.

I don't know all the details about the Post Rise Lofts but....it is a conversion building. It used to be part of The Post Apartments. They were built as rentals, then converted 2 years ago into condos for sale. The sales were slow and most of the remaining units are available for rent again...check out www.postproperties.com for availability. They have done some upgrading to the units to bring them up to condo standards. They are offering an "as is" package where you get some money off the list price if you buy them in their original apartment condition. There is a fairly nice pool on the roof of the building but it is still open to ALL of the Post Residents not just to those who live in the tower so it gets pretty crowded. That's all I know. Some of the units are cool looking, but I think the prices are rather high for what you get. And the maintenance fee is around .21 or .23 cents, which really adds up, and you know maintenance fees only increase year over year, never decrease. That's all I know. good luck.

They are cheaper because they are "used." They were apartments first, now Post is converting to condos. When you buy a new condo -- in Houston -- you pay a huge premium. It's a lot like buying a new car vs. a used car.

wow condos already? will be interesting to see what happens to the businesses there longterm.

wow, that is really suprising to hear of slow sales since (1) the website lists many properties "reserved" (2) and it seems to be right in the "thick of things" in midtown.

However, i did drop by today, and the inside, while "trendy" was still a little run down in my opinion.

But, i do like the location a lot.

Have you tried www.apartmentratings.com

I ran into this page just yesterday http://www.gunn.net/rise9438.htm

I LOVE the space but I hear price is too much for what you're getting. I think the reviews pertain to the whole Post complex.

I would love to live in the tower. I'd totally gut the kitchen and bathroom. That granite has got to GO.

So much potential. Can someone say "The Bold Look of Kohler"? :P

Have you tried www.apartmentratings.com

I ran into this page just yesterday http://www.gunn.net/rise9438.htm

I LOVE the space but I hear price is too much for what you're getting. I think the reviews pertain to the whole Post complex.

I would love to live in the tower. I'd totally gut the kitchen and bathroom. That granite has got to GO.

So much potential. Can someone say "The Bold Look of Kohler"? :P

i agree with you flying man, in fact, the only reason i like the cosmopolitan is because of the kitchens and bathrooms. Do you have any idea of how much it costs to remodel a kitchen to look like ones the cosmopolitan (i..e integrated appliances that look all modern and sleek)?

when I moved back to Houston from Dallas in about 1999, I looked at this place -- it was a new, lease building then.

The breathless sales lady showed me a smallish apartment and really hyped the downtown view. She said, "isn't this an amazing view?" I told her I liked the view, but that, at the prices they were asking, I should be looking at Coit Tower out my window.

She replied, "Oh, those all pre-leased before we opened."

LOL Coit Tower

No houstonnoob, I would be the last person to know how much things would cost right now. I hadn't seen The Cosmopolitan before so I just previewed it. I really would want to choose what I had and come up with the entire look myself though. That place wouldn't be for me. The bathroom looked nice.

Edited by flyingman

I was one of the first residents there in 1999. The tower wasn't built yet. I had a great view of downtown until they resurrected that building. I posted earlier in the Bayou Bend post that Post cut some corners with the interiors for sure like, tile, granite, fixtures, hardware, etc. I also lived at Post Rice Hotel downtown. Although they cut some interior corners, you can't beat the location and the urban feel of the mixed-use and all of the places surrounding it. And the pools are great.

If you are young, like to be in the ox and have a pretty good income I recommend it. I have not heard of anyone who didn't like living there.

• 9 months later...

Resurrecting an old topic

Just wanted to get some additional feedback to anybody else out there.

I'm a young single professional (30), working in downtown. I really didnt' think about getting into a condo, but the building is so close to work that I had to check it out.

I agree with some of the old posters that yeah, some parts did seem a little run down but i guess that goes along with the industrial character. I guess this is due to the fact that this is a rental conversion. There is an upgrade package available but it is pretty pricey and honestly I would rather do the upgrades myself. I do like this look compared to the edge condo's which are next door. The edge is more a traditional look and layout, not your urban loft space like Rise. The edge is also more expensive per sq/ft, I guess this goes along with other posters stating that you pay a premium for a new building. It also has more ammenities, a gym, movie theater and a lounge.

Speaking of the urban look of Rise, I wonder how the sound proofing is in the building. The concrete which they use for the floors and ceilings should not be a problem but the walls are regular wall material. I would imagine with the type of people this place attracts that there could be a lot of partying over here and I'm not sure how much they skimped on construction.

The condo fees are still 22cents/sq foot, which have been stable for a while which also makes me wary if the seller (ie Post properties) is subsidizing this to entice new buyers. It's not too bad considering that other places in downtown are much higher. The edge is at 28c/sq ft. I thought these would be more even. But I guess the added ammenities are more expensive to keep up with. Then again, the Rise building is much older so there may be some pricey maintenence coming up.

The price of the units are actually coming down I believe I don't know what they started out at but a 2br unit runs from 310K to 370K.

and the 1br from 230k to 275k.

I like the idea of living downtown but things may change in the next 5 years and I wonder how well a 2br 2000sq place would sublease later on. It seems like all this talk about which way midtown is heading is going back and forth.

I've been looking for some time now and I thought I was set on a 4 story townhouse in the Rice military. But I can't ignore the convnience to be able to bicycle to work (not quite close enough to walk). Not to mention the amazing views you get from the 2bedroom units.

If anybody has any more info or opinions on this place please post. I actually was in this building in 2002 through a co-worker i've since lost touch with but I really didn't pay much attention to it back then.

Hi,

I just wanted to give you a bit on an insight to my experience. I bought in midtown end of 2005 near West Grey and Taft (townhome on the southern side of Grey). I looked at both condos and townhomes at the time and decided on a townhome (since my purchase, new condos have been constructed such as vistas and Rise). My place is three levels (2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom) with a third open loft which i use as a study. I paid $135 per ft2. There are similiar sized townhomes around the corner for me by the same builder and same age now selling for $150 per ft2. This is significant cheaper than a condo. My yearly fees for garden maintenance etc are roughly $800. Living in a condo can be good because you have the added benefit of other amentities such as a pool. However, I know a lot of people who move into a condo never realise the full benefit these facilities.

So don't discount a midtown townhome. It can be a much cheaper alternative (if it is one or two people, you don't need a massive townhome. You end up spending a lot of time cleaning and maintaining it with higher energy costs in summer cooling it), has land value associated with it and the monthly fees can be significantly lower. I have views of downtown from my master bedroom and a front patio as well plus my garage is contained in my townhome so that carrying groceries etc isn't an issue. You might laugh at this but try making 2 or 3 visits to your car and up an elevator to your condo to drop off your groceries. It can be a hassle. I also only have one common wall with my neighbour with no one above or below me which may not be the case in a condo. This may or may not be an issue. Some of the town homes in midtown can be cookie cutter. I have done some small upgrades to the kitchen, floors etc to make it more contemporary and individual. I am also only 1 mile from my work place at downtown so I often walk. So the idea of riding a bike or walking isn't just an idea for condos in the center of midtown.

Anyway, I just wanted to dicuss my living perspective to help you in your decision on where to live and condos vs houses/townhomes.

For the record, I think Rice Military is very over priced. Some areas are close to the train line and in a flood zone. Why would you spend that amount of money to be close to a loud freight train or have water collection issues???

Resurrecting an old topic

Just wanted to get some additional feedback to anybody else out there.

I'm a young single professional (30), working in downtown. I really didnt' think about getting into a condo, but the building is so close to work that I had to check it out.

I agree with some of the old posters that yeah, some parts did seem a little run down but i guess that goes along with the industrial character. I guess this is due to the fact that this is a rental conversion. There is an upgrade package available but it is pretty pricey and honestly I would rather do the upgrades myself. I do like this look compared to the edge condo's which are next door. The edge is more a traditional look and layout, not your urban loft space like Rise. The edge is also more expensive per sq/ft, I guess this goes along with other posters stating that you pay a premium for a new building. It also has more ammenities, a gym, movie theater and a lounge.

Speaking of the urban look of Rise, I wonder how the sound proofing is in the building. The concrete which they use for the floors and ceilings should not be a problem but the walls are regular wall material. I would imagine with the type of people this place attracts that there could be a lot of partying over here and I'm not sure how much they skimped on construction.

The condo fees are still 22cents/sq foot, which have been stable for a while which also makes me wary if the seller (ie Post properties) is subsidizing this to entice new buyers. It's not too bad considering that other places in downtown are much higher. The edge is at 28c/sq ft. I thought these would be more even. But I guess the added ammenities are more expensive to keep up with. Then again, the Rise building is much older so there may be some pricey maintenence coming up.

The price of the units are actually coming down I believe I don't know what they started out at but a 2br unit runs from 310K to 370K.

and the 1br from 230k to 275k.

I like the idea of living downtown but things may change in the next 5 years and I wonder how well a 2br 2000sq place would sublease later on. It seems like all this talk about which way midtown is heading is going back and forth.

I've been looking for some time now and I thought I was set on a 4 story townhouse in the Rice military. But I can't ignore the convnience to be able to bicycle to work (not quite close enough to walk). Not to mention the amazing views you get from the 2bedroom units.

If anybody has any more info or opinions on this place please post. I actually was in this building in 2002 through a co-worker i've since lost touch with but I really didn't pay much attention to it back then.

143.jpg

Is this the Rise Lofts we're talking about?

For the record, I think Rice Military is very over priced. Some areas are close to the train line and in a flood zone. Why would you spend that amount of money to be close to a loud freight train or have water collection issues???

Are these the $300K townhomes that are right next to a freight line? No thanks....not for that price.

Yeah, I was referring to Rice Military. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. I was referring to the ones off Washington near Heights Blvd...

Some of those townhomes are 10 feet from the tracks - don't they shake and rattle when a train goes by? ...okay, maybe they are 20 feet away!!

I can't imagine living that close to the tracks...especially for that kind of money...

Having watched the Edge's construction daily from my office window... I can say that it's just wood-frame construction on the 4 residential floors, atop a concrete parking structure. It may have better soundproofing than Rise, but somehow I'd have to be a little more confident in Rise's... well, hi-rise construction. I know nothing about that though -- am I wrong?

I'd also add that during construction the Edge went for literally months during the rainiest period of the year with no glass on the big corner rounded windows. Is that really ok? I guess the wood is treated (and heck, trees like rain, no?), but I just felt like that wood frame & floorboards had to be saturated for months. This was last spring/summer, when Houston's rain totals were sky-high. Seemed like they must have had trouble getting those windows ready to go, because the windowless frame stood for a really long time.

Yeah, my realtor showed me some townhomes right next to the train tracks and one of them literally the windows were right outside the train! It seems like you the price of these townhomes are in relation to how close they are to the tracks. Some townhomes look pretty cool but they are around 250k-325k. A similar home say south of washington in the Rice Military would cost 325k-400k.

Why do you think the construction would be necessarily better than the Edge? Is it because the Rise is made of steel and concrete? I do think that this structural integrity will last longer and I really do like this industrial/urban look that it portrays. But I'm wondering about the sheetrock thats used inbetween units?

i went and looked at one of the small studios here and let me tell you, you can't live in it. At like 500 or 600 sq. ft. or whatever it was, they managed to waste about 100 sq. ft of it. It was a 2 story unit, but basically you open the door, and then you have a stairway to the room, and there is a little room around the stairway. This sucks because the main part of the apartment has low ceilings, while the foyer/stairway has super high ceilings. To bad it isn't the other way around.

is anyone familiar with the townhomes going up on leeland and bastrop? the builder has built a similar group on andrews....but we are having trouble finding the actual builder. we have been told it is mary matha developers, then m and s developers llc, then jimmy joseph. hcad has different names for the property and it leads to nowhere. the rendering for the design is very sharp. is it normal for the builder to be so elusive and by chance, does anyone happen to be familiar with them? we are trying to find a reputable builder and a th with a terrace (that doesn't leak).

• 2 years later...
  • 9 years later...
  • The title was changed to Rise Lofts Aka Midtown Rise
  • The title was changed to Rise Lofts At 2000 Bagby St.