The Plazas At Midtown I: 2500-2521 Bagby St.

HoustonTransplant

Hey guys. I went and tried out the new Coffee Groundz cafe last night. It's located in the strip mall opposite Specs in Midtown (next to Comcast) on McGowan where Pilgrim Cleaners were once. They just opened this week. The coffee was great and they serve local gelato (freshly made), made to order paninnis and wine and other alcohol. The place is decked out with wireless internet with power outlets everwhere. It's a large space with outdoor patio seating (facing el patio/the tipsy clover) and private indoor booths.

The manager came and chatted with the customers last night which was kind of nice and solicited any feedback to make the place better. Soon they will have the drive-through window up and running.

I guess everytime I read a post on HAIF, every one is keen to have more local original businesses in midtown. I see this as being one of them but it will only remain if we support it. I guess try it out and make up your own mind!

• Like 1

Parking is nuts in that lot. I can barely find a spot to pickup my Ponzo's Deluxe.

yeah i was talking to a friend last weekend and i guess gets his haircut somewhere nearby and they are thinking about closing earlier just for that reason.

Parking is nuts in that lot. I can barely find a spot to pickup my Ponzo's Deluxe.

If I remember the area correctly, there should be several hundred people within walking distance. That could help keep it open.

• 3 weeks later...

There used to be a coffee shop in the comcast space a few years ago. They went out of business after struggling along for a few years. I think it was Midtown Bagel Coffee shop. I hope these guys know what they are getting themselves into. I would not want to take on Starbucks everyday.

Dream

There used to be a coffee shop in the comcast space a few years ago. They went out of business after struggling along for a few years. I think it was Midtown Bagel Coffee shop. I hope these guys know what they are getting themselves into. I would not want to take on Starbucks everyday.

Dream

Elsewhere on HAIF is a thread that explains that the big reason that Midtown Bagel went out of business was an erroneous report on KPRC-TV stating that the joint was cited for health problems. It was not, and channel 2 admitted it, but refused to do an on-air retraction. There was an article about it in the Houston Press or some similar publication, but by then the damage was done.

• 4 months later...

Having decent coffee (unlike Starbucks) helps a lot. ;)

Edited by takeshi

There used to be a coffee shop in the comcast space a few years ago. They went out of business after struggling along for a few years. I think it was Midtown Bagel Coffee shop. I hope these guys know what they are getting themselves into. I would not want to take on Starbucks everyday.Dream
I remember Midtown Bagel. They did have great bagels. Parking wasn't a problem back then as I remember it...especially not in the morning. Too bad, Midtown doesn't have any decent bagel shops now. Closest thing is Einsteins on Montrose.
I do take out at Ponzo's fairly regularly. I just double park for 5 minutes with my flashers on while I go in and get the food.Seems Houston has never heard of double parking.
That works if it's ready when you arrive. I've had to wait 20 minutes inside even though I ordered by phone 20 minutes earlier. They are slow.

• 3 weeks later...

Love their panninis (sp?) and great to finally have a centrally located coffeehouse in Midtown. Nice touch adding the gelato selections too! I went by the Starbucks in Midtown today (only because I have a gift card) and thought they were much less courteous. No atmosphere at Starbucks either as compared to Coffee Groundz.

My only complaint with Coffee Groundz is the fact that they have a minimum of $ 20 for gift cards as opposed to Starbucks which I believe could have a $ 5 minimum?

Would love to see Coffee Groundz have more events. I know they have wine tastings occassionally (has anyone been?), but how about live music? Love the 80's satellite radio they have had on in the mornings during recent weekday visits!

I do take out at Ponzo's fairly regularly. I just double park for 5 minutes with my flashers on while I go in and get the food.

Seems Houston has never heard of double parking.

I get Ponzo's at least once a week. I've usually have to double park as well. That Italian roast beef it to kill for.

• 4 years later...

I went to Aperture Coffee (formerly Coffee Groundz) yesterday and a note was on the door saying that they were locked out by their landlord for not paying the rent on their lease. It looks like yet another coffee shop in this location has bitten the dust.

The best place in this location was back several years ago before Aperture, Coffee Groundz, and Pilgrim's Cleaners. It was called Midtown Bagel. They had excellent food (bagels, pizza, etc) and great coffee in a casual atmosphere. I loved hanging out there and walking over there from what was Jefferson Midtown (Amli, Metro) apartments way back.

Coffee Groundz was great when they first opened serving wine and Gelato. I sure hope someone comes in and drastically changes the place. I really want a great coffee house / bagel shop / wine bar within walking distance. They should model it after Brasil over at Westheimer @ Dunlavy.

The best place in this location was back several years ago before Aperture, Coffee Groundz, and Pilgrim's Cleaners. It was called Midtown Bagel. They had excellent food (bagels, pizza, etc) and great coffee in a casual atmosphere. I loved hanging out there and walking over there from what was Jefferson Midtown (Amli, Metro) apartments way back.

Loved that place! They had the best bagels in Houston.(at the time) I recall the owner stating that it took 2 years to break even and the final nail was a pizza place opening up right after they started serving pizza.

The other place I miss is Kolache Kafe. Best Kolaches ever. Still have not found a place that serves a better Kolache.

My idea for a coffee shop there would be to open a New Orleans themed cafe with fresh beignets, jazz music, and even Community Coffee.

The problem with Aperture is that it did nothing to set itself apart. I loved the space for doing work but their food offerings were horrible and you can get the rest of their stuff at Starbucks.

My idea for a coffee shop there would be to open a New Orleans themed cafe with fresh beignets, jazz music, and even Community Coffee.

The problem with Aperture is that it did nothing to set itself apart. I loved the space for doing work but their food offerings were horrible and you can get the rest of their stuff at Starbucks.

There is an issue with beignets - they have no shelf life. They must be eaten almost immediately after coming out of the deep fry (cooled enough not to burn one's tongue of course). Cafe du Monde sells beignets successfully because it has a steady stream of customers around the clock.

I believe it was Crescent City Beignets that opened a shop in the Clear Lake area a few years ago near the corner of Bay Area Blvd. and El Camino Real. The pastries themselves were fine but when business picked up it wasn't possible to fry the beignets fast enough to please the average Shipley-shopping suburbanite*. And, of course, you can't "stock up" on these things. In fact, I wouldn't even dream of taking them home if I lived more than a short (3 minute max.) walk from the shop.

Still, jazz and Community coffee sounds great to me and if the clientele can appreciate waiting a few minutes for a plate of beignets (they are so wonderful right out of the fryer) then so much the better.

*No slight meant to Shipley doughnuts (Do-nuts); I like them too.