Panjo's Pizza

Disastro

There is still a Panjo's in Corpus Christi and it tastes just the same. They even have an old geezer band on weekends.

Wow! Next time I am in Corpus I am going to have to check that out!

Speaking of old geezer bands...if you are ever near Fuqua St. and I-45, pay a visit to the Luby's there. You can get some comedic value with your meal by watching the old coots dance to the oldies band that plays there.

Priceless. Except, some food almost went down the wrong way a couple of times... :lol:

• 1 month later...
Panjos Pizza was exellent. Thin crust. Always crispy. Spicy pepperoni.

We used to go to the one on Winrock all the time in the early 1980s. My sister and I were just talking about it last night!

Family and I went to the one in Rockport when we were there last weekend -- still tastes the same. Same crisp crust -- not soggy in the middle like Houston pizza joints! lol! I highly recommend it!

Edited by Disastro

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I remember it!!!! I was between 7-9 years old when my family frequented that place! I used to sit on the piano bench with the piano man! Remember the striped jacket and hat??? LIKE YESTERDAY!!!! Thanks for the memory..........what a blast from the past! :rolleyes:

I worked at the one on 1960 by Champions, mid 70's. Just remember that you knew you were going to get fired when the manager told you to clean the walkin freezer

• 2 weeks later...

Panjo's Town & Country: Saturday, February 24, 1974. It was my Eighteenth Birthday and I was in charge of the Pizza ovens: Cooking that Legendary Pizza for a packed house of West-Houston Suburbanites and their kids.

The kitchen crew was all High School kids, and most of us were half-drunk or better. Like every Saturday, we had temporairaly rerouted the Beer lines in the Walk-in cooler from the back of the wall taps to an empty cheese canister, and siphoned off a couple of gallons of Schlitz Draught. You could just dip a cup into the barrell when you went to get more Pepperoni. Chug-a-Lug, Chug-a-Lug.

The "Piano/Banjo" (Piano + Banjo = Panjo) combo that night was Paul Buskirk and Marianne. Paul and his Wife were exceptional musicians and Paul is credited with writing the song "Night Life" with Willlie Nelson. What they were doing playing at Panjo's, I'll never know, but he found out it was my birthday, and had the entire dining room crowd stand and face the kitchen to sing "Happy Birthday" to me.

It's one of my favorite Panjo's memories. Towards the end of the night, I began to burn the Pizzas, and they had to call in a Relief Oven-Man. And I went to get more Pepperoni.

Edited by Propps
  • Like 1

I worked at the one on 1960 by Champions, mid 70's. Just remember that you knew you were going to get fired when the manager told you to clean the walkin freezer

Heh! I put down plenty of pitchers of beer at that one! I used to go to that one when I was in High School on weekends with friends...pizza, beer, movies...bowling...those were the days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I worked there around '75/'76. I started as a pizza maker, eventually an oven cook.

I once burned my palm while popping a pizza bubble in the rear of the oven.

Panjos had the best pizza environment ever...the smells, the look, the feel.

The best thing about Panjos is that they used real sausage, real hamburger, real mushrooms - not that 'freeze dried' crap most places use.

Good memories.

Panjo's Town & Country: Saturday, February 24, 1974. It was my Eighteenth Birthday and I was in charge of the Pizza ovens: Cooking that Legendary Pizza for a packed house of West-Houston Suburbanites and their kids.

The kitchen crew was all High School kids, and most of us were half-drunk or better. Like every Saturday, we had temporairaly rerouted the Beer lines in the Walk-in cooler from the back of the wall taps to an empty cheese canister, and siphoned off a couple of gallons of Schlitz Draught. You could just dip a cup into the barrell when you went to get more Pepperoni. Chug-a-Lug, Chug-a-Lug.

The "Piano/Banjo" (Piano + Banjo = Panjo) combo that night was Paul Buskirk and Marianne. Paul and his Wife were exceptional musicians and Paul is credited with writing the song "Night Life" with Willlie Nelson. What they were doing playing at Panjo's, I'll never know, but he found out it was my birthday, and had the entire dining room crowd stand and face the kitchen to sing "Happy Birthday" to me.

It's one of my favorite Panjo's memories. Towards the end of the night, I began to burn the Pizzas, and they had to call in a Relief Oven-Man. And I went to get more Pepperoni.

Hey! I am also a Panjos alum - Town and Country - 1977-1980 and then San Felepe - 1983-1985. I was known as the Yankee from Pittsburgh in the 70s. Went to Memorial High - all the kids in T&C were from Westchester. What a crew! There was Dan the Manager - hard riding Harley type, Scott V - Scott turned me on to Jimmy Buffett - and I still am a huge fan, Mark "Mars" V, Dave P, Harry S - "Harry Pssy" Guru, couple of young guys that were brothers and twins - forget their names, Bill C - Who killed himself on the way home one night (ran into the back of a semi on the Katy freeway - I think he was trippen big time), many lovely gals from Westchester that worked there on and off - (Thanks Janice for attacking me in the walk-in cooler) . I have always wanted to set up a panjos alum site - this is as close as it gets - I sometimes wonder what happened to these folks - did some grow up and go to college and get real jobs? (I did .... I think ;-) ) how many are dead? In jail? There are too many stories to tell in one post with respect to the fun we had while working there. I think every bad habit I still have to this day started from Panjos!

Hey! I am also a Panjos alum - Town and Country - 1977-1980 and then San Felepe - 1983-1985. I was known as the Yankee from Pittsburgh in the 70s. Went to Memorial High - all the kids in T&C were from Westchester. What a crew! There was Dan the Manager - hard riding Harley type, Scott V - Scott turned me on to Jimmy Buffett - and I still am a huge fan, Mark "Mars" V, Dave P, Harry S - "Harry Pssy" Guru, couple of young guys that were brothers and twins - forget their names, Bill C - Who killed himself on the way home one night (ran into the back of a semi on the Katy freeway - I think he was trippen big time), many lovely gals from Westchester that worked there on and off - (Thanks Janice for attacking me in the walk-in cooler) . I have always wanted to set up a panjos alum site - this is as close as it gets - I sometimes wonder what happened to these folks - did some grow up and go to college and get real jobs? (I did .... I think ;-) ) how many are dead? In jail? There are too many stories to tell in one post with respect to the fun we had while working there. I think every bad habit I still have to this day started from Panjos!

PITTSBURGH!: Go look in your personal messages.

Edited by Propps

• 6 months later...

I worked at the Panjo's on San Felipe from 1983-1985.

I left to join the Navy for the next 5 years and never returned to Houston.

Panjo's was a great place to work, and I still have not found a place that makes a better sandwhich than the 'Brian Burger".

Speaking of Danjo, he was a great manager.

He rode a Harley before it became a status symbol, and he looked just like a freaking viking.

They could have made a sitcom from all the characters that went through that place.

I am sorry to hear that Bill died. I agree that he was probably buzzing all the way to the end.

I worked at the Panjo's on San Felipe from 1983-1985.

I left to join the Navy for the next 5 years and never returned to Houston.

Panjo's was a great place to work, and I still have not found a place that makes a better sandwhich than the 'Brian Burger".

Speaking of Danjo, he was a great manager.

He rode a Harley before it became a status symbol, and he looked just like a freaking viking.

They could have made a sitcom from all the characters that went through that place.

I am sorry to hear that Bill died. I agree that he was probably buzzing all the way to the end.

Danjo "The Panjo" managed the Town & Country Store through the last half of the Seventies, before he moved over to San Felipe. He was a great Manager, but he should'a been a Stand-Up Comic...Funniest guy I ever met.

I worked a few weekends with him at San Felipe during the early eighties, but have no idea what happened to him after Panjo's closed for good. He would nearing 60 now. If you happen to know of him, tell him "Shorty" sez "HEY!"

The Importance of English

wow power leveling,

There call be no doubt that English is one of the world's most widely used languages. People use a language in one of three

ways: as a native language, as a second language, or as a foreign languge.wow gold, English is

spoken as a native language by over three handred million people in the United States, Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada,

some caribbean countries and South Africa. As a second language, English is often necessary for official business,

wow gold, education, information and other activities in many countries, it is one of the few

"working" languages of the United Nations.

wow power leveling,

It is said that English has become the language of international trade and transport. Most pilots in planes travelling from one

country to another use it to talk with airports. All wow gold, ships sailing on the oceans call

for help by radio in it. It has been said that 60 percent of the world's radio broad casts and 70 percent of the world's mail

uses English. At international sports meets,power leveling, and international of

scientists English is the language most commonly used and the most widely used.

wow gold,

English has in fact become the language of international cooperation is science and technology. The most advanced resuits in

space, nuclear and computer research are published in it.wow gold, A scientist who speaks

and writes English is in closer touch with the scientists in other countries than one who doesn't.

I

My dad used to play piano at the one on FM 1960, he and a friend of his named Lefty

who played banjo, if I recall. They may have played in Town and Country, I don't remember.

Dad also played with Paul Buskirk many times throughout the 60's and 70's--I remember

he sort of had jowls that shook when he played! I went with Dad to a mobile home that

either Paul or Marianne lived in, and watched them rehearse a little.

• 3 years later...

I remember it!!!! I was between 7-9 years old when my family frequented that place! I used to sit on the piano bench with the piano man! Remember the striped jacket and hat??? LIKE YESTERDAY!!!! Thanks for the memory..........what a blast from the past! :rolleyes:

I know this thread is old, but I sat on that same bench. Tie a Yellow Ribbon Around the Old Oak Tree was my request. It's nice to see this post. I wish I could share it with my mom.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Dig those lights. I remember sitting in the booths under those type of lights at Winrock @ San Felipe.

My niece married a guy from Rockport. They talk about Panjos all the time. I might have to take a trip down memory road to Rockport but am afraid my taste buds might have changed. So many things I used to love I now find gross (James Coney in particular). 

• 1 year later...

I lived in Cypress and worked at Precision Auto Supply in the late 70s. My boss and I would split a large with the works about once a week. That pie had shrimp and jalapenos and all the goodies, and that crust was simply the best. There are just some things in life that, sadly, go away and never come back. (Precision Auto Supply is gone as well.) They also served beer in frosty mugs, and they went down really well with that food.

• 3 weeks later...

I Loved Panjo's Pizza !!    I started working at Panjo's Dairy Ashford & Memorial in 1978.   Anybody remember Steve Schartzcoff ??  Big, heavy set guy.   Drank dark beer on ice in a stryofoam cup, all the time.  I spent 3 years at that location.  From the back room to slinging pizza to working the ovens.   I earned my stripes ((  the marks you would get on the underside of your arm )) and of course  "cut & match "  After 3 years at Stratford High, I moved accross town and found Steve working at Panjo's @ I-45.   I quickly got my job back there.  I also worked at the Champions location.  Working both locations for about a year and a half.    I really got lucky when Panjo's gave me a job.  To this day, any pizza I eat is always compared to Panjo's.    It will always be the best in my mind.   If anyone knows what happened to Greg Pietrzyk, please post a reply.   He was a real inspiration to me.  Wish I knew what ever became of him.   Panjo's Forever.   J. C.