The Summit At 3700 Southwest Fwy.

kristiw

My first concert was at the Summit in 1979, I saw KIZZ perform , I went with my then bestfriend, Steve Green. I saw Neil Diamond with my mom about a month later. I then saw various ice capades and what not, then in 1987 I saw Beastie Boys and Run-DMC twice that year, then a couple of months later, LL Cool J with WHodini, and Public Enemy. I remember Public Enemy being boo'd off stage. I've seen Wrestling and Ringling Bros. for years there, the Elephant parade was always great. Saw the Rockets win their second Championship there. Have not been since Joel took over though, but the wife is pushing me to go, and apparently we know someone who can get us really close.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saw Elvis there in August 1976---$12 a ticket!!! I'd give a jelly donut to see pics of that show (like an idiot I DID NOT bring a camera)

According to the book Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley, Elvis was completely wasted at that show. So much so that Col. Parker reportedly used his "influence" with HPD to keep the cops working security that day from going public, and that Elvis was flown back to Memphis right after the show for "treatment".

The Summit - 4th row, floor. 1989ish. REM with Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians. Lost our damn car after the show due to tryptamines

We saw Prince at Hofheinz Pavilion back in 2000 or so. Great venue but only seats 8,000. That was what made it great.

I totally agree on the Hofheinz Pavillion statement. That was the best place ever to see a concert. I can't remember the year.. 70 something.. I saw Elton Johns Goodbye Yellowbrick Road tour. What a blast!! We were on like the fourth row with fog rolling over us. The first song was Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. I can still hear it. I still have my ticket stub.. $5:00. Great memories.

I need to add some of those groups to my Summit web page. If you guys think of any more groups that played there, let me know.

Summit venue

Three more that were not listed, My favorite band from college, the Cars. Also Rush, and the Steve Miller Band. I saw all three in the Summit. (not at the same time) Also saw Devo at Cullen Auditorium on the campus at U of H and Jethro Tull at Sam Houston Coliseum.

To Susan, I was at the Elton John and Kikee Dee show at Hofienz and remember it well, September 26, 1974. I remember it because it was my 15th birthday and I went with two friends.

I need to add some of those groups to my Summit web page. If you guys think of any more groups that played there, let me know.

Summit venue

Once I go grab my tick stubs I will add more.

Here are some I know were there.

My all time fav Jefferson Starship (met Grace Slick) :blush: still worship

38 Special

Billy Idol

The Pretenders

Emerson Lake & Palmer

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd

Asia (Heat of the moment)

Bad Company

Talking Heads

The Go Gos

Duran Duran

Flock of Seagulls

Haircut 100

INXS

The Police

Psychedelic Furs

Simple Minds

Thompson Twins

Surely someone on this board had to have seen Yes play at the Summit. I know they played the Summit in 1991 (it was recorded), but I'm sure they played there in the '70s (though they did play the Astrodome, IIRC).

Edit: Just saw TJones' comment. Apparently, a few people did see them there!

Surely someone on this board had to have seen Yes play at the Summit. I know they played the Summit in 1991 (it was recorded), but I'm sure they played there in the '70s (though they did play the Astrodome, IIRC).

saw YES at The Coliseum

I knew someone was bound to have seen Cindy Lauper. archgirl did

Now they are coming back to me.

The Cult was backup for Billy Idol

What was Bono's band? (sang New Years Day) thats another I saw there.

Ted Nugent was everywhere in those days too, saw him at least 3 times. He fell off the speakers at the Coliseum for sure, jumped right back up and continued jamming. :wacko: lol

No one has mentioned others like Kool and The Gang & Earth, Wind and Fire? Whats up y'all?

Ahhhh yes - The Summit. My very first concert EVER was September 2, 1977 at the Summit - Kiss w/ Styx. I was 12, and my dad took me and about 6 of my friends. Obviously, he had never been to a rock concert before, as he was SHOCKED by all the pot, and topless girls on the bigscreen. Of course, me and my friends LOVED it (the girls - not the pot.....yet)....

Anyway, I also saw the following groups at the Summit/Compaq Center - Journey (November 5, 1981); Robert Plant (June 7, 1988 and August 3, 1990); The Cult (March 2, 1990); Ozzy w/ Alice n Chains (September 23, 1992); White Zombie (July 12, 1996); Nine Inch Nails w/A Perfect Circle (May 22, 2000); TOOL (July 27, 2002). ...some great memories there.

Ahhhh yes - The Summit. My very first concert EVER was September 2, 1977 at the Summit - Kiss w/ Styx. I was 12, and my dad took me and about 6 of my friends. Obviously, he had never been to a rock concert before, as he was SHOCKED by all the pot, and topless girls on the bigscreen. Of course, me and my friends LOVED it (the girls - not the pot.....yet)....

Anyway, I also saw the following groups at the Summit/Compaq Center - Journey (November 5, 1981); Robert Plant (June 7, 1988 and August 3, 1990); The Cult (March 2, 1990); Ozzy w/ Alice n Chains (September 23, 1992); White Zombie (July 12, 1996); Nine Inch Nails w/A Perfect Circle (May 22, 2000); TOOL (July 27, 2002). ...some great memories there.

I saw all of those concerts except Journey which I saw later in the Woodlands with Styx. White Zombie was good. So was Alice n Chains/Faith No More. I've seen so many more but you guys will laugh cause it's like Janet and people like that.

"Owner of a Lonely Heart", that song rocked back then.

SunKing, I soooooo wanted to see Rob Zombie back then, I decided to go to Austin instead, stupid move on my part.

Robert Plant (June 7, 1988 and August 3, 1990);

I did see Jimmy Page/Robert Plant play at the Summit in 1994(5?). That was unforgettable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Led Zeppelin played the Summit.

I did see Jimmy Page/Robert Plant play at the Summit in 1994(5?). That was unforgettable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Led Zeppelin played the Summit.

According to this site, they played the Summit on 5/21/77. Actually, if you search for "Houston" on that page, you'll find they played here eight times between 1969-1977, which is more than I would've guessed.

According to this site, they played the Summit on 5/21/77. Actually, if you search for "Houston" on that page, you'll find they played here eight times between 1969-1977, which is more than I would've guessed.

OK. Wow, 1977 sure seems like a high point during the Summit's time as a concert venue. Lots of great bands played there that year.

OK. Wow, 1977 sure seems like a high point during the Summit's time as a concert venue. Lots of great bands played there that year.

1977 was a high point for The Summit.

Steve Miller Band - Book of Dreams album toured date Nov 1, 1977

most people came out looking like this :wacko::blink: >:):rolleyes:

Smurfs on Ice, Ringling Bros., several New Kids on the Block concerts and Rockets!

One time my mom won a living room suit and Ringling Bros. tickets on the radio. We watched the circus via our living room suit, ringside on the Summit floor. It was my mom, dad and me. My sister was out of town with a friend. My aunt and cousin went with us, but they sat in the stadium seats. The lights dimmed and they put a spotlight on us. I was young so I don't remember a whole lot about it, but I do recall an elephant walking about a foot in front of the coffee table and a clown coming over and sitting beside me on the loveseat. My aunt said it was a hilarious sight: we were looking up to watch the circus while everyone else was looking downward for most of the show.

That was some ugly furniture.

got out my old ticket stubs & the ones i could find that i didn't see mentioned so far: the cure, metallica, sting, morrissey, the cult, lenny kravitz (opening for the cult), and depeche mode.

i was trying to remember some of the opening acts here ... flock of seagulls opened for the go-go's, i think. didn't asia just have a juggler or something? i think that was my first 'real' summit concert - 1982! ub40 opened for the police, omd for the thompson twins, and i don't remember about bowie (87) and/or the cult (90). also went to a lot of the others mentioned already in this thread. nin, run dmc/beastie boys, u2, etc.

WAY up thread, i cracked up about leif garrett. i was also crazy about him. my brother took me to see him somewhere - it says astrodome up top, but i thought it was just the arena or something? it seemed small to me, and i was small myself back then!

i was trying to remember some of the opening acts here ... flock of seagulls opened for the go-go's, i think. didn't asia just have a juggler or something? i think that was my first 'real' summit concert - 1982! ub40 opened for the police, omd for the thompson twins, and i don't remember about bowie (87) and/or the cult (90). also went to a lot of the others mentioned already in this thread. nin, run dmc/beastie boys, u2, etc.

Styx opened for KISS at the famous 9/2/77 show.

Also opening for KISS at the Summit:

8/13/76 - Bob Seger

10/21/79 - Breathless (?)

2/24/88 - Ted Nugent

8/21/90 - Winger/Slaughter :o

7/6/96 - Pushmonkey

I saw the very first show at the Summit:

The Who/Opening act was Toots and the Maytalls

A week later ZZ Top played an afternoon and evening Thanksgiving show. Rory Gallagher opened the show and he blew ZZ Top off the stage (YES you heard me correctly).

Other great shows:

Cat Stevens

Queen (3 times)

Led Zeppelin

Springsteen (4 times)

Police

Tom Petty (at least 4 times)

Prince played at the Summit 6 times in 1986.

Saw many Aero's games there too during the 70's.

Great arena, sure miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first came to Houston, I saw the cirus there. I also went to many Aeros & Rockets games. My dad always pointed out the JW Marriot on Westheimer was always the Hotel the other basketball teams would stay in. I also remeber the Washington Mutual Bank (with the gold dome) sometimes had a basketball cover on it.

All the concert posts bring back some foggy memories. Saw Yes probably 4 times mostly at the Colesium.

First concert Skynyrd and the outlaws..Best one,either Bowie or Supertramp.late 70's. queen and Thin Lizzy a close second.

had an in w/Century Dev in the 70s/early 80s, attended many events in K Schnitzer's box at the top of the Summit.

Heart concert especially memorable - Scotch and lobster, the Wilson sisters throwin' back a few before the gig...

I just don't think the Oasis of Love can top that, although Victoria Osteen is reported to be adept at throwing drinks.

had an in w/Century Dev in the 70s/early 80s, attended many events in K Schnitzer's box at the top of the Summit.

Heart concert especially memorable - Scotch and lobster, the Wilson sisters throwin' back a few before the gig...

I just don't think the Oasis of Love can top that, although Victoria Osteen is reported to be adept at throwing drinks.

Yes, I loved Heart they were great and soooo talented. Wonder what became of them?

Since part of the topic mentions Lakewood, every now and then I turn on the tube to see how much he has polished up on his acting skills. He's got them quite well tuned. Talk about being charismatic. He still jokes about how his wife can't seem to stay away from her lavish spending at the Galleria. The crowd even chuckles?

He always proclaims at the end with "We always end our show with a prayer", well

He always end his sermon with a great selfish, self-promo of a new book that is coming out. What's next Lakewood-THE MOVIE? He says the next book is called something like "How to work on yourself and become a better loving person".

My question is...What does that have to do with religion? There are already tons of books on that subject. The self-help section of all book stores are filled with this stuff. Now Osteen is a therapist? Move over Dr. Phil!

Cha ching, cha-ching, cha-ching :wacko: Osteen's laughing all the way to the.....

Since part of the topic mentions Lakewood, every now and then I turn on the tube to see how much he has polished up on his acting skills. He's got them quite well tuned. Talk about being charismatic. He still jokes about how his wife can't seem to stay away from her lavish spending at the Galleria. The crowd even chuckles?

He always proclaims at the end with "We always end our show with a prayer", well

He always end his sermon with a great selfish, self-promo of a new book that is coming out. What's next Lakewood-THE MOVIE? He says the next book is called something like "How to work on yourself and become a better loving person".

My question is...What does that have to do with religion? There are already tons of books on that subject. The self-help section of all book stores are filled with this stuff. Now Osteen is a therapist? Move over Dr. Phil!

Cha ching, cha-ching, cha-ching :wacko: Osteen's laughing all the way to the.....

What's a crime is that he's raking in the dough and not paying a cent on taxes for that place.

Man, I saw the Harlem Globetrotters in '77 or so in the Summit, and some great Rockets games. Saw the Aeros once there too, and as a kid I remember the steps leading down to the seats in the upper balcomy seemed dangerously steep and I was scared! LOL

Saw AC/DC For those ABout To Rock tour there, Sting, Genesis, Sting again with Deborah Harry, Tears for Fears, and many others.

I saw many shows at the Summit, but I think this was the first. I won two tickets on KLOL from Crash Collins by answering a trivia question about the family fortune (Eastman-Kodak) that Linda McCartney was heiress to. Check out that parking fee.

Wings_At_Summit_1976.jpg

I saw many shows at the Summit, but I think this was the first. I won two tickets on KLOL from Crash Collins by answering a trivia question about the family fortune (Eastman-Kodak) that Linda McCartney was heiress to.

Linda (Eastman) McCartney's family fortune wasn't the Eastman-Kodak one - according to Wikipedia, her mother was heiress to the Linder Department Store fortune. Her family wasn't related to the Eastman family of Eastman-Kodak at all - more on this here (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

So you got lucky with those tickets. :)

Archived