Pumapayam

Pumapayam's Vacation  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Where should we go?

• Chicago, Illinois
    • Provincetown, Massachusetts
    • Las Vegas, Nevada
    • San Francisco, California

My bf and I are planning our vacation, and we have decided amongst 4 final cities.

Each has some reasons, which are as follows:

• Chicago, Illinois - Originally decided based on a doctor's conference that he had to attend, but later was found untrue. I have never been there as an adult. Maybe we can sit in on a taping of Oprah!
  • Provincetown, Massachusetts - It is gay friendly environment, and my bf has never been there. I was there as a kid and I remember my father being captivated be a Celine Dion drag queen. (He is a big Celine fan).
  • Las Vegas, Nevada - I don't gamble, and neither does my bf. This one is if-y, but still looks fun. My bf has never been to Las Vegas.
  • San Francisco, California - My bf has never been, and I was there only as a child. Remember very little, except we have a photo of us from the crooked street.

Any help with unique places to visit, stay, and fun things to do would help if you have been to these places. A big thing is my bf is not "out" so he wants to be in a comfortable environment where we can at least walk together, hold hands without any issues (we rarely/never do that in Houston)

I am leaning towards P-town right now, Shying away from Las Vegas, and don't really know if "I" could afford the big cities of San Francisco or Chicago. We are going in late July.

Thank you HAIF-ers ^_^

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do have an idea of how long your stay will be?

i went to chicago in february, and stayed for almost a week without spending loads of money.

what kind of tourist-y things do you want to do when you go somewhere?

If you plan on going to Ptown in late July you better get on it NOW. Ptown gets packed that time of year. Also, it will not be cheap. Ptown has gotten very expensive.

However, the natural beauty is stunning (rent kayaks and paddle out to Long Point where you can get your own beach for the most part, rent bikes and ride along the national seashore, hike the dunes during the tidal flow and hit the beach beyond). Plus, for a gay couple, you can't beat the town. Good restaurants, shopping, comedy shows, drag shows, discos, and more all in a quaint fishing village.

I hate gambling myself, but Las Vegas is worth seeing at least once. Frequently you can get dirt cheap deals. If you can afford it though, take San Francisco. Great city, and if nothing else the cool weather in late July would make it worth it. There are lots of places to go: Alcatraz, Napa Valley, redwood forests etc.

None of your choices will be cheap, besides, you want to have fun and not worry about money so save your pennies.

San Fran in the summer is gorgeous and of course it's very gay friendly. You can go to Sausalito and have lunch and drinks on the water. You can drive an hour and a half to Napa and Sonoma and go wine tasting. Sit in Golden Gate park and have a picnic, Fisherman's Warf and see the seals/sea lions. The weather is seriously amazing, the architecture is gorgeous, the people are great, go to the Bubble Room if you like champagne. You can even drive out to Carmel and Big Sur. The drive on Hwy 1 is crazy amazing.

I vote San Fran all the way!!! (Although I'm a huge gambler, going tomorrow actually)

do have an idea of how long your stay will be?

i went to chicago in february, and stayed for almost a week without spending loads of money.

what kind of tourist-y things do you want to do when you go somewhere?

I am a photo nut, so anything that is touristy enough for photo opportunities.

And I was hinting at seeing Oprah, but I have no idea how hard it is to get on her show, and if she even tapes shows during July.

We are only staying 5 days, to coincide with his daughters camping trip.

If you plan on going to Ptown in late July you better get on it NOW. Ptown gets packed that time of year. Also, it will not be cheap. Ptown has gotten very expensive.

However, the natural beauty is stunning (rent kayaks and paddle out to Long Point where you can get your own beach for the most part, rent bikes and ride along the national seashore, hike the dunes during the tidal flow and hit the beach beyond). Plus, for a gay couple, you can't beat the town. Good restaurants, shopping, comedy shows, drag shows, discos, and more all in a quaint fishing village.

I am looking to spending, on a 5 day trip, maybe max $1000 to $1200 each (ie $2000 to $2400 for the both of us)

This will cover air, room, car, misc. etc.

I am a photo nut, so anything that is touristy enough for photo opportunities.

And I was hinting at seeing Oprah, but I have no idea how hard it is to get on her show, and if she even tapes shows during July.

We are only staying 5 days, to coincide with his daughters camping trip.

I am looking to spending, on a 5 day trip, maybe max $1000 to $1200 each (ie $2000 to $2400 for the both of us)

This will cover air, room, car, misc. etc.

the photo opps in San Fran are amazing. FYI-Chicago is hot as hell in the summer and they don't have airconditioning like we do. It's better to go in the spring.

Sweet, that gets me excited, I am really leaning towards this one. Anyone know of a bed and breakfast.

FYI-Chicago is hot as hell in the summer and they don't have airconditioning like we do. It's better to go in the spring.

No A/C, as hot as Houston is, maybe we can handle it, but not having A/C could be an issue, that will be one the disadvantages.

If you don't gamble, you probably won't have a very fun time in Vegas, although there are alot of "Shows" to go to, and lots of people watching. You got the Hoover Dam, and you can play some slot machines if you don't want to go to card games. There is a good nightlife also. Sounds like San Fran would be the place if you want to just kickback and take in some sights.

I would not go to any of the ones listed.

Vegas is in a drought and too crowded by now, you would hate the crowds, especially if you dont care to gamble.

SFO is also too crowded and extremely expensive right now.

others are too boring.

Take an ocean cruise dude! Nothing like being on a ship for a week or so. Cast your fate to the wind! :D

Just leave the country....

if you choose vegas, cirque du soleil has several shows to choose from:

Ka (Equestrian)

Mystere

"O" (Water)

LOVE (Beatles)

zumanity (all about sex and sensuality....very naughty)

link to cirque's vegas shows

chicago has architectural tours galore. mies van der rohe, frank lloyd wright, louis sullivan........ in chicago, you are a day trip from taliesen.

the frank lloyd wright foundation has tours as does chicago's AIA chapter.

frank lloyd wright foundation

taliesen preservation

Take an ocean cruise dude! Nothing like being on a ship for a week or so. Cast your fate to the wind! :D

We are restricted to a specific 5 day window because of the girls camping trip. Because of the sensitivity of the relationship, we have to plan this trip to meet with that date.

So I am highly doubtful of a weekday only cruise, but if you know of one, we might consider.

I took my family to San Francisco in April- it was my wifes first trip and a huge success

1.Rent a car and go to muir woods- redwood forest about 1 hr from downtown

2.Lombard street and coit tower were a hit

3. seals at pier 42 (I may have the wrong number) Giradelli square under renovation, not worth the effort.

4. Golden Gate park has an excellent, fog shrouded botanical garden, great strolls. Oldest japanese garden in the us is very good.

Cliff House restaraunt just north of where the park meets the pacific was a must for every star and starlet of the 30s-70s. Good food

5. Asian museum- start at the top, work your way down, best asian art collection in the US in my opinion

6. Chinatown of course, but also the new renovated indoor mall on market street has some great california cusine restaraunts

7. Point reyes national seashore, 2 hrs north. Irises in bloom, grey whales visible from sea cliffs.

My bf and I are planning our vacation, and we have decided amongst 4 final cities.

Each has some reasons, which are as follows:

• Chicago, Illinois - Originally decided based on a doctor's conference that he had to attend, but later was found untrue. I have never been there as an adult. Maybe we can sit in on a taping of Oprah!
  • Provincetown, Massachusetts - It is gay friendly environment, and my bf has never been there. I was there as a kid and I remember my father being captivated be a Celine Dion drag queen. (He is a big Celine fan).
  • Las Vegas, Nevada - I don't gamble, and neither does my bf. This one is if-y, but still looks fun. My bf has never been to Las Vegas.
  • San Francisco, California - My bf has never been, and I was there only as a child. Remember very little, except we have a photo of us from the crooked street.

Any help with unique places to visit, stay, and fun things to do would help if you have been to these places. A big thing is my bf is not "out" so he wants to be in a comfortable environment where we can at least walk together, hold hands without any issues (we rarely/never do that in Houston)

I am leaning towards P-town right now, Shying away from Las Vegas, and don't really know if "I" could afford the big cities of San Francisco or Chicago. We are going in late July.

Thank you HAIF-ers ^_^

I have always wanted to see Las Vegas and with so many new things there that don't revolve around gambling, it seems like a much more rounded destination experience. That said, I have always liked Chicago and it would be my close second.

I agree that visiting SF in the summer gets pretty expensive. The 60-70 degree weater in the summer and just simply being a great area makes it quite the destination. Or you could probably find deals near the airport or in the East Bay near a BART station. Driving in the heart of SF is a pain in the ass. Pedestrians don't care and making turns on the steep hills aren't my forte. Plus the price for parking is not worth it. Blend in and take the streetcars and rail. If you do go to SF, visiting the Haight and North Beach neighborhoods are an absolute must. Preferably in the afternoon when everyone is getting off work. Alot more lively. Chicago is great too, but it can get pretty humid.

I took my family to San Francisco in April- it was my wifes first trip and a huge success

1.Rent a car and go to muir woods- redwood forest about 1 hr from downtown

2.Lombard street and coit tower were a hit

3. seals at pier 42 (I may have the wrong number) Giradelli square under renovation, not worth the effort.

4. Golden Gate park has an excellent, fog shrouded botanical garden, great strolls. Oldest japanese garden in the us is very good.

Cliff House restaraunt just north of where the park meets the pacific was a must for every star and starlet of the 30s-70s. Good food

5. Asian museum- start at the top, work your way down, best asian art collection in the US in my opinion

6. Chinatown of course, but also the new renovated indoor mall on market street has some great california cusine restaraunts

7. Point reyes national seashore, 2 hrs north. Irises in bloom, grey whales visible from sea cliffs.

That sounds really fun, where should I stay in SF, a hotel, timeshare, or bed and breakfast (if they have them)

Driving in the heart of SF is a pain in the ass. Pedestrians don't care and making turns on the steep hills aren't my forte. Plus the price for parking is not worth it. Blend in and take the streetcars and rail.

Does BART connect to the local airport? If we are not renting a car, then I need to have an idea if we are going to use a taxi or public transportation.

That sounds really fun, where should I stay in SF, a hotel, timeshare, or bed and breakfast (if they have them)

I don't know your preference, but in addition to the large chain hotels, SF has a number of smaller European style hotels, most located not too far from Union Square. Don't have any contact information, but you should be to find them by searching the web.

Does BART connect to the local airport? If we are not renting a car, then I need to have an idea if we are going to use a taxi or public transportation.

BART goes into SFO (San Francisco Airport) The website is <http://www.bart.gov/index.asp>

I don't know your preference, but in addition to the large chain hotels, SF has a number of smaller European style hotels, most located not too far from Union Square. Don't have any contact information, but you should be to find them by searching the web.

Will do, just appreciate anyone on here that has actually stayed in a particular place and were satisfied.

BART goes into SFO (San Francisco Airport) The website is <http://www.bart.gov/index.asp>

Sweet, well, that take care of the car issue!

Will do, just appreciate anyone on here that has actually stayed in a particular place and were satisfied.

Sweet, well, that take care of the car issue!

as a tourist there..having a car is probably better, particularly for your first time.

as a tourist there..having a car is probably better, particularly for your first time.

I totally disagree! Parking in Downtown San Francisco and in the tourist areas is expensive and can be a real pain to find. With a car you may waste quite a bit of time driving around looking for a place to park, rather than actually doing something fun. The city is quite compact, and the multiple transit options (streetcars, light rail, buses, and cable cars on Muni and the BART rail out to the airport and suburbs) make it very easy to navigate without a car. I've never rented a car in San Francisco and never had any problem getting around by walking, using public transit, or taking a cab. A car might make sense if you're staying way out in the suburbs, but if you're staying downtown, I think it's more of a hindrance than a help. And if you decide you want to head out of the city for a day trip, you can always pick up a rental car for the day. Cars tend to be cheaper at the downtown locations than they are at the airport, and all of the major rental agencies have locations in Downtown SF near the major hotels and tourist areas.

I voted for San Francisco. It's a great destination, and the kind of place you can go multiple times and not really get tired of it. Yes it's expensive, but none of your choices are really cheap (except for maybe Vegas, and even then the nice places aren't cheap). I was most recently there in late April with my boyfriend and a hetero couple we're good friends with visiting some friends that live there, and we had a great time. We stayed at the Hilton San Francisco (the one on O'Farrell St. near Union Square) on my Hilton points, and were very pleased with a great upgrade to a corner suite on the executive floor that had incredible views of the city and bay. But there are lots of great places there; I second the suggestion about looking at some of the smaller boutique hotels as they are more unique and often less expensive than some of the big chain business traveler hotels.

I totally disagree! Parking in Downtown San Francisco and in the tourist areas is expensive and can be a real pain to find. With a car you may waste quite a bit of time driving around looking for a place to park, rather than actually doing something fun. The city is quite compact, and the multiple transit options (streetcars, light rail, buses, and cable cars on Muni and the BART rail out to the airport and suburbs) make it very easy to navigate without a car. I've never rented a car in San Francisco and never had any problem getting around by walking, using public transit, or taking a cab. A car might make sense if you're staying way out in the suburbs, but if you're staying downtown, I think it's more of a hindrance than a help. And if you decide you want to head out of the city for a day trip, you can always pick up a rental car for the day. Cars tend to be cheaper at the downtown locations than they are at the airport, and all of the major rental agencies have locations in Downtown SF near the major hotels and tourist areas.

I voted for San Francisco. It's a great destination, and the kind of place you can go multiple times and not really get tired of it. Yes it's expensive, but none of your choices are really cheap (except for maybe Vegas, and even then the nice places aren't cheap). I was most recently there in late April with my boyfriend and a hetero couple we're good friends with visiting some friends that live there, and we had a great time. We stayed at the Hilton San Francisco (the one on O'Farrell St. near Union Square) on my Hilton points, and were very pleased with a great upgrade to a corner suite on the executive floor that had incredible views of the city and bay. But there are lots of great places there; I second the suggestion about looking at some of the smaller boutique hotels as they are more unique and often less expensive than some of the big chain business traveler hotels.

i see your point on doing the major destinations with transit but for me personally, i found that i couldn't see everything i wanted to see by public transit. i tried but timewise it was too difficult. while some was convenient, other times i found a car necessary. renting the car for some of the time is probably the best thing to do.

Guest Marty

After several hours of thinking I would go to Las Vegas but if you ever take a vacation by yourself I would go see the Sears Tower. I never been to the places you want to go, but enjoy yourself you only live once. ;)

We are restricted to a specific 5 day window because of the girls camping trip. Because of the sensitivity of the relationship, we have to plan this trip to meet with that date.

So I am highly doubtful of a weekday only cruise, but if you know of one, we might consider.

Google my friend! Check out all major cruise lines. I did NCL some years ago and was hooked! There are all types of weekday/weekend cruises to short destinations like Cancun, Matzatlan, Puerto Vallarta, etc. There are 2-3 & 5 days trips. See whats up. You'll meet people from all of the world. Don't forget to slap on the Coppertone! :lol: Bring us back some coconuts.

I voted for San Francisco. It's a great destination, and the kind of place you can go multiple times and not really get tired of it. Yes it's expensive, but none of your choices are really cheap (except for maybe Vegas, and even then the nice places aren't cheap).

Do you think for 5 days (Monday through Friday) at a planned cost of $1000 to $1200 per person is doable (air, transit, food, accomodations)?

After several hours of thinking I would go to Las Vegas but if you ever take a vacation by yourself I would go see the Sears Tower. I never been to the places you want to go, but enjoy yourself you only live once. ;)

Sears Tower in Vegas. . . who knew? :P

So if you had to pick one, did you mean Vegas or Chicago?

i see your point on doing the major destinations with transit but for me personally, i found that i couldn't see everything i wanted to see by public transit. i tried but timewise it was too difficult. while some was convenient, other times i found a car necessary. renting the car for some of the time is probably the best thing to do.

There were rental car locations downtown, near the hilton, a block or two off market street (AVIS). SF is pedestrian oriented, so renting a car to see the main part of the city does not pay, parking can be very expensive. No left turns anywhere, etc.

I rented a car for the week we were there (stayed in the hilton at a conference). Averaged about 50 dollars a day for parking fees. Next time I will rent on for the days I need it. Streetcars-cablecars run all over the city.

I voted for Ptown.

Here are some scenes from around the tip of the cape...

The Dunes and the Atlantic side

provincetown_dunes.jpg

The Ptown Harbor side

bayside.jpg

Herring Cove Beach on the Mass Bay side

duckduckgoose.jpg

Commercial Street

provincetown00262.jpg

The Kinsey Sicks luring in folks for their nightly show

impersonators.jpg

Do you think for 5 days (Monday through Friday) at a planned cost of $1000 to $1200 per person is doable (air, transit, food, accomodations)?

Yes, you should be able to do it on that budget, although you'll have to go fairly basic on the hotel accomodations, and limit the number of expensive meals. If you decide to go to San Francisco, air fares tend to be higher to SFO than OAK, but SFO is more convenient to the city and has better links to the transportation system. However if you're purchasing far enough in advance you can probably find fares from Houston for around $300 or maybe a little less.

Yes, you should be able to do it on that budget, although you'll have to go fairly basic on the hotel accomodations, and limit the number of expensive meals. If you decide to go to San Francisco, air fares tend to be higher to SFO than OAK, but SFO is more convenient to the city and has better links to the transportation system. However if you're purchasing far enough in advance you can probably find fares from Houston for around $300 or maybe a little less.

You don't need to worry if you fly into OAK. No matter what you've heard about getting from OAK to SF, it is not difficult to get from OAK into downtown SF. There is a bus at OAK called AirBART shuttle that leaves the airport and goes directly to the Coliseum/Oakland Airport BART station. It is only 6 stops (3 in Oakland, 3 in SF--the BART goes under the bay) from that station to Powell Station (one of the downtown SF stations-closest to Union Square) In contrast, it is 10 stops from the SFO BART station to the Powell BART station. There isn't much difference in travel time: Coliseum/Oakland Airport BART --> Powell approximately 23-25 minutes excluding the AirBART shuttle ride to the BART station approximately 10 minutes; SFO -->Powell approximately 30 minutes. Cost of both routes one-way is 5.00 and some change.

Archived