Developments On Studewood St.

heightsfan

well, it's not much to report but since the board is pretty stalled: Big Mamou has completed their addition. the deck is way to small IMO, but it is coming together nicely. we ate there WLN and the meat pies were really good (although they pulled them from a bag, frozen. i am still giving them the benefit of the doubt that they made them and then froze them for the event...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the husband just called to tell me the exec chef/owner of Soma is going to be opening a new place in the Allgero building at 10 1/2 across from Glasswall. he said it sounds great, btu I don't know where he got the info (chron?)... anyone have details since he is gone from the office and i have no facts to back any of this up :lol:

the husband just called to tell me the exec chef/owner of Soma is going to be opening a new place in the Allgero building at 10 1/2 across from Glasswall. he said it sounds great, btu I don't know where he got the info (chron?)... anyone have details since he is gone from the office and i have no facts to back any of this up :lol:

http://blogs.chron.com/cookstour/archives/...bert_gad_1.html

I'm not sure how much of a chron.com article I'm allowed to post, but here is a snippet from Alison Cook's Blog:

"Chef Robert Gadsby to open Bedford restaurant in the Heights

Fall should be an exciting time on Houston's food scene, with chef Robert Gadsby's new signature restaurant--named Bedford after his hometown in England--set to open by year's end in the Heights. Bedford will join Scott Tycer's upcoming Textile, located in the 1892 Oriental Textile Mill on West 22nd, in raising the Heights area's dining profile.:

Gadsby's venture will occupy new construction on Studewood at 10th Street, near chef Lance Fegen's popular Glass Wall. The great news for fans of Gadsby's gemlike tasting menus at Noe--his former namesake restaurant in the Omni Hotel--is that Bedford's open demonstration kitchen will be fronted by an intimate, 11-seat chef's table where guests can watch and interact as Gadsby cooks for them personally.

He's so gifted at customizing menus on the fly (I remain in awe of a celery-root "ravioli" envelope he concocted for a gluten-averse friend of mine back in Noe's heyday) that those counter seats should be a hot ticket."

The link above leads to the full post.

• 3 weeks later...
there is a for lease sign in front of the tamale factory at 11th. anyone???

Too close to the middle school. I don't think you could even get a 50% drink permit (more than half your sales must be non-alcoholic) there.

Welcome back, Yank! Does this mean you have power? Norhill had a bunch of power lines laying all over the place.

Too close to the middle school. I don't think you could even get a 50% drink permit (more than half your sales must be non-alcoholic) there.

Welcome back, Yank! Does this mean you have power? Norhill had a bunch of power lines laying all over the place.

well, i am not surprised they are going out. their hours are worse than dacapos and they sign doesn't make any sense... i was just wondering if anyone knew any scoop...

thanks. good to be back. we got power back on Tuesday. we actually went to austin for a few days and san antonio for a couple more. no power + 20 mos old = misery. there are still lines down. the big'uns are actually comcast and at&t. none of those across norhill were live power. the guys who fixed us up were from Maryland. super nice. i literlaly got teary eyed when i walked outside and saw them pulling on to my street.

red- were you long in the dark?

• 2 weeks later...
there is a for lease sign in front of the tamale factory at 11th. anyone???

During my weekly Saturday morning breakfast burrito trip I asked the owners. They said the landlords are upping the rent to a price point they can't afford. They say the building is really in bad shape and needs a lot of work, which they dont feel obliged to do themselves. I agree their hours of operation are so bizarre it probably doesnt take much of an increase for them to no longer become profitable. Either way, their lease on this place runs out in December, and they are looking to do what so many others seem to be doing along Studewood right now: opening up their own restaurant. They're talking with a real estate agent trying to find a good location with room for a patio deck. They also have a second location somewhere downtown.

During my weekly Saturday morning breakfast burrito trip I asked the owners. They said the landlords are upping the rent to a price point they can't afford. They say the building is really in bad shape and needs a lot of work, which they dont feel obliged to do themselves. I agree their hours of operation are so bizarre it probably doesnt take much of an increase for them to no longer become profitable. Either way, their lease on this place runs out in December, and they are looking to do what so many others seem to be doing along Studewood right now: opening up their own restaurant. They're talking with a real estate agent trying to find a good location with room for a patio deck. They also have a second location somewhere downtown.

I visited there for the first time last Saturday. The barbcoa was very good but the egg and charizo taco was not edible. It was very very salty and the egg was dry and burned in places. They will need to improve to maintain a restaurant very long.

everytime we drive past the Tamale Factory we say "why don't they set-up more of a patio area to sit and eat? look at that big parking area". But I guess that while leasing they weren't interested in too much infrastructure changes. We'll look forward to a new location.

everytime we drive past the Tamale Factory we say "why don't they set-up more of a patio area to sit and eat? look at that big parking area". But I guess that while leasing they weren't interested in too much infrastructure changes. We'll look forward to a new location.

the tamales i had from here were definitely mediocre. too much masa!

There's no room for mediocre Tex-Mex in this town.

As noted by others above, that corner seems like a prime location in the 11th Street/Studemont restaurant hub.

Suggestions (or wish-list really) for next tenant/owner:

BBQ joint - Rudy's would be nice but that is a pipe dream and Rudy's prefers gas stations

Burgers (Cliff's/Southwell's or similar) - Someburger is cool but its days may be numbered with the land being purchased recently.

Laredo Taqueria - Washington location may be too valuable (but this location may be too close to location on Cavalcade)

Antones Po-boys

La Vista

A more Heights central Dragon Bowl

There's no room for mediocre Tex-Mex in this town.

As noted by others above, that corner seems like a prime location in the 11th Street/Studemont restaurant hub.

Suggestions (or wish-list really) for next tenant/owner:

BBQ joint - Rudy's would be nice but that is a pipe dream and Rudy's prefers gas stations

Burgers (Cliff's/Southwell's or similar) - Someburger is cool but its days may be numbered with the land being purchased recently.

Laredo Taqueria - Washington location may be too valuable (but this location may be too close to location on Cavalcade)

Antones Po-boys

La Vista

A more Heights central Dragon Bowl

I agree about Rudy's

What's the news with Someburger? Rumors of purchase have been swirling for years (in fact, that's how I found the HAIF). What's the current?

La Vista would work well since people already know it's going to be BYOB.

My wish list involves sushi or gelato. more trees in the parking lot and a large outdoor seating area, completely fenced so the kids can go feral while i enjoy whatever it is i am there to enjoy. (and before you non-breeders get mad, having it be kid friendly is the *best* way to make anything instantly successful in the area right now. if something good goes in, the kid-o-ness of it will help it stick)

I'd like to see an eatery that serves nothing but beer and nachos. Seriously. A menu of chips, a menu of cheeses, and a menu of toppings. And a wall of draft beers. I'd forward my mail there.

LOL @ forwarding your mail. he he he

My wish list involves sushi or gelato. more trees in the parking lot and a large outdoor seating area, completely fenced so the kids can go feral while i enjoy whatever it is i am there to enjoy. (and before you non-breeders get mad, having it be kid friendly is the *best* way to make anything instantly successful in the area right now. if something good goes in, the kid-o-ness of it will help it stick)

mmmm.. sushi.. Osaka on Westhimer is far..

i agree on the outdoor-place-for-the-kids-to-go-nuts type of place.. that's why we like the berryhill on 11th so much.. it's not too upscale for us not to be yelling at the kid to sit down all the time, plus the outdoor area gives them some place to crawl around on which would be more undesirable inside.

The rumor I heard was that the Landry's group bought the land. Not sure if it is true.

yup- same rumor that has been swirling for years. people who know more on this board than i do dispelled that rumor. someone who is good with search could probably find the link for you. the thought was that Fertitta had bought the lot behind and the lot with someburger on it. this was not true. perhaps tillman did buy the land behind, but i think he would just develop it, not leave it in the hand of a couple brokers. either way, the plans for the lot do not include someburger (thank god).

• 1 month later...
http://blogs.chron.com/cookstour/archives/...bert_gad_1.html

I'm not sure how much of a chron.com article I'm allowed to post, but here is a snippet from Alison Cook's Blog:

"Chef Robert Gadsby to open Bedford restaurant in the Heights

Fall should be an exciting time on Houston's food scene, with chef Robert Gadsby's new signature restaurant--named Bedford after his hometown in England--set to open by year's end in the Heights. Bedford will join Scott Tycer's upcoming Textile, located in the 1892 Oriental Textile Mill on West 22nd, in raising the Heights area's dining profile.:

Gadsby's venture will occupy new construction on Studewood at 10th Street, near chef Lance Fegen's popular Glass Wall. The great news for fans of Gadsby's gemlike tasting menus at Noe--his former namesake restaurant in the Omni Hotel--is that Bedford's open demonstration kitchen will be fronted by an intimate, 11-seat chef's table where guests can watch and interact as Gadsby cooks for them personally.

He's so gifted at customizing menus on the fly (I remain in awe of a celery-root "ravioli" envelope he concocted for a gluten-averse friend of mine back in Noe's heyday) that those counter seats should be a hot ticket."

Bedford appeared to have their soft opening this week. It was packed and, just from driving by, it looks very pretty inside. I am glad they (had the builder??) change the plans at the last minute and put in a patio area. that will be nice for a drink in the spring... i also heard there is a private wine room in addition to the chef's table. we adored Noe and are so excited to have another of Houston's best chefs in the neighborhood.

Hello All

Corner of Studewood and 20th where a restaurant once was in business will now be some sort of

copy fax and print . . is that correct ?

yes, that appears to be the case. no big loss since no eateries could stay open in that location.

• 2 weeks later...
mmmm.. sushi.. Osaka on Westhimer is far..

i agree on the outdoor-place-for-the-kids-to-go-nuts type of place.. that's why we like the berryhill on 11th so much.. it's not too upscale for us not to be yelling at the kid to sit down all the time, plus the outdoor area gives them some place to crawl around on which would be more undesirable inside.

This is why we stopped going to Berryhill. If you want your kids to "go nuts" I suggest you take them to McDonalds or Chik-fil-A. The patio at Berryhill is for people to enjoy their meal and drinks without kids crawling around. Last time we went there, we were joking that they should just put in one of those cages with the colorful balls. There were children continually running past our table as we tried to relax (this happens inside, too). Please take note, it is undesirable inside or out. It is not appropriate restaurant behavior.

This is why we stopped going to Berryhill. If you want your kids to "go nuts" I suggest you take them to McDonalds or Chik-fil-A. The patio at Berryhill is for people to enjoy their meal and drinks without kids crawling around. Last time we went there, we were joking that they should just put in one of those cages with the colorful balls. There were children continually running past our table as we tried to relax (this happens inside, too). Please take note, it is undesirable inside or out. It is not appropriate restaurant behavior.

Let me be the first to say "Adios".

I went to Bedford this past weekend. Very nice. Entrees about $30 each, but you can get 3 and 4 course meals where you can make your own from the list of appy's/entrees/desserts on the menu. Quality is A+, quantity is minimal. Dont expect to walk away from there with a full stomach....heck, you might even walk away hungry. My $30 entree was spectacular, but it arrived in a bowl about the same size as I use for ice cream or cereal. Dessert was good. I had homemade banana pudding. But artistry aside, it was one vanilla wafer with a spoonful of pudding on top. That was $8. Pretty absurd in my opinion.

The decor was nice. 1.8 million kts of emeralds under glass is what awaits you at the Chefs Table ($150pp).

Its a special occasion place to be sure, and we'll be back in due time, but I'll save my money and get my homemade banana pudding at Beavers.

Wow, that is an attitude that I forget is out there sometimes--funny that Berryhill hasn't posted any requests / rules along those lines. Perhaps you should challenge yourself to try again to mix with the commoners but take a vallium first...

Heh.. good idea.. Or maybe just a doggie crate..

Perhaps I should temper my previous comment from "going nuts" to "being loud".. If we sit inside, the kids do sit and we're done with it.. If we're outside, I don't see any reason why they should not be able to play or roam around.. It isn't Vargo's..

And at our favourite sushi place, they're well behaved..

Cheers!

Wow, that is an attitude that I forget is out there sometimes--funny that Berryhill hasn't posted any requests / rules along those lines. Perhaps you should challenge yourself to try again to mix with the commoners but take a vallium first...

Wow, from the responses I'm getting I guess that it is now acceptable let children run around restaurants while other patrons are dining. I'm seeing this permissive parenting style more and more often. I just wasn't raised that way. While in a restaurant, we sat at the table and ate. We were not allowed to "run around." You need to consider how your child's behavior affects others around you. I can also see it being a safety situation with restaurant staff delivering food and busing tables. Originally, I did not view Berryhill as an atmosphere such as Joe's Crab Shack or Lupe Tortilla with their sand boxes and playgrounds. Apparantly, I was wrong. I do not understand your comment about "mix with the commoners." I'm a very middle class, laid back professional who enjoys having a drink and meal without someone else's children continuously running by my table. Obviously, Berryhill isn't the place. I will mix with the commoners elsewhere.

Wow, from the responses I'm getting I guess that it is now acceptable let children run around restaurants while other patrons are dining. I'm seeing this permissive parenting style more and more often. I just wasn't raised that way. While in a restaurant, we sat at the table and ate. We were not allowed to "run around." You need to consider how your child's behavior affects others around you. I can also see it being a safety situation with restaurant staff delivering food and busing tables. Originally, I did not view Berryhill as an atmosphere such as Joe's Crab Shack or Lupe Tortilla with their sand boxes and playgrounds. Apparantly, I was wrong. I do not understand your comment about "mix with the commoners." I'm a very middle class, laid back professional who enjoys having a drink and meal without someone else's children continuously running by my table. Obviously, Berryhill isn't the place. I will mix with the commoners elsewhere.

I am with you, in general, and I have a baby and young nephews/nieces. Playing and being loud at the table is one thing, I sort of expect that from kids, but doing laps around other people's tables and running around outside the reach of their table is just rude. When we were little, we weren't even allowed to go out to McDonald's until we learned our "manners". With 3 kids all within 3 years of each other this is a necessity. I think parents these days are a little too lax sometimes. Kids will be kids, but they should also be taught manners and shouldn't be running around a restaurant, just within arm's reach of their own table.

My kiddo's don't run around the tables, etc... But a toddler is only going to be so quiet and if you're setting next to us, she's likely to talk to you and "disturb" your otherwise peaceful dinner. If it bothers people, obviously I discourage her from speaking to them... but over all, I'm not going to tell my child to not be friendly and socialize with people. I don't feel the need to squash her bubbly happy personality. That said, if the atmosphere/environment ALLOWS her to wander around a little, I don't have a problem with it. That doesn't mean that I "passively parent" in any way.

Archived