W Hotel  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What Development will Land the "W" in Houston?

• BLVD Place
    • Westcreek - Whatever it's called
    • Highland Village
    • Somewhere else
    • Don't kid yourself. Houston can't support a "W"
    • Downtown (Even though it would be financial suicide

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was kinda hoping nativehoustonian was sitting in first class on that Malaysian flight but then realized he only flies United BF.

Ritz is actively looking, possibly a couple others.

With business booming, the population exploding, and money flowing, I find it really hard to believe that someone hasn't taken a chance on a W Hotel, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz-Carlton, Taj, or Fairmont

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm trying to find the Westcreek/River Oaks District thread, but since this is part of the project...

It will be 34 Stories.

Gensler of Santa Monica is the design architect, BOKA Powell is the architect of record.

If I'm not mistaken, groundbreaking for the entire project is slated for this July.

Not early April fool's or anything. Just a head's up.

:ph34r:

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
I'm trying to find the Westcreek/River Oaks District thread, but since this is part of the project...

It will be 34 Stories.

Gensler of Santa Monica is the design architect, BOKA Powell is the architect of record.

If I'm not mistaken, groundbreaking for the entire project is slated for this July.

Not early April fool's or anything. Just a head's up.

:ph34r:

Where did you hear this? Do you have any other information?

This should take care of the HAIF slowdown for a few days....lol.

I like a lot a Gensler's work so hopefully this will be great.

(Hotel and residences at L.A. Live, STCL library and courtroom, United Way building off of Washington Ave. to give you an idea)

Edited by jayshoota

I really wish there were some way to justify a Downtown location for W. While I agree their demographics suggest Uptown, the net result of locating there will most likely be at the expense of Hotel Derek, which is getting a bit long in the tooth, anyway. In a wildly competitive market, as I hope perhaps W will help generate, yeah -- Derek has a good chance of feeding off W when W is at capacity. That would be great for all concerned. Going head-to-head under capacity, however, Derek doesn't stand a chance. They may need to re-concept and offer lower rates to compete.

It remains to be seen how a W in Uptown will affect some of the older, established properties like The Houstonian or JW Marriott and if they will merely be taking from their own client base at St. Regis or the two Westin properties in The Galleria.

Don't get me wrong -- it's cool to have this growing and vibrant hotel district. That's how it's done in many cities that draw lots of tourists. But, seeing as how we don't do so well in the tourism department, I worry that the W will hurt properties like Derek and even their own Westin Oaks and Westin Galleria (who aren't really in the same price point, but are "competitors" nonetheless), where they could be carving out an exciting new niche in Downtown.

What do you guys think?

Add the possible Ritz to that, too. I think a W Downtown would be better than one Uptown to maybe spread out the rooms a bit. The Ritz is best in Uptown.

I would think the opposite. W Uptown, and Ritz Downtown. Ritz downtown because Ritz being an older more well known brand is more similar to downtown, and the W being the newer more up and coming hotel relates more to what uptown is.

I agree with citykid, Ritz seems more like a downtown hotel. But it doesn't really matter, seeing as it and the W are both likely going with Uptown. Hopefully downtown will see something like a Mandarin, Shangri-La, Penisula, or anything along those lines.

And with the Ritz, I hope it gets built at that rumored 66 stories. I'm afraid this whole credit/mortage/whatever crisis will severely shrink the Ritz. On the other hand, prices should be cheaper for all those rich South Americans and Middle Easterners. They could buy condos in the Ritz or whatever just for storage.

The W would bring some trendy stuff to Downtown. I think DT should aim for a Mandarin, Peninsula, and Shangri-La. It also isn't out of the question to have two Ritz' or two W's. Atlanta has four W's, so Houston could support two.

I think DT, will land the hotel, but people are going to wait and see what happens with the One Park Place location next to Discovery Green Park. With the addition of 3 new office buildings in DT Houston, I believe that you will see a major corporation relocating to DT Houston and with that, you will see that DT being a stronger location for a W Hotel or Ritz. With the addition of a possible 2nd Convention Hotel to DT, the HP, Park and the ability to have people in a walkable area, they are waiting for DT otherwise they would have chosen BLVD Place or something in the Galleria area a long time ago. Nothing has changed about the Galleria structurally or dynaically within the last few years that would attract a W Hotel in my opinion.

The W is going into the Oaks District if you didn't know, and Ritz is rumored for BLVD Place. I don't think it is out of the question for there to be another W in Downtown though. Houston could support two (hell, if Atlanta can support four W's and 2 Ritz hotels).

That should be Houston's new motto "if Atlanta can do it, so can we!"

Unless Atlanta's economy is much stronger than Houston's (which is may be in some ways--I have no idea). Even if it isn't, IMO, Atlanta has such primacy over the Southeast that it wouldn't surprise me if Atlanta always had more developments that would be viewed questionably in Houston. I think that in the national scheme of things, Houston will play second to Dallas in the Southwest for the foreseeable future, whereas Atlanta is still basically the heart of the region in a chunk of the country that's south of D.C. and east of Texas--and will only pull further ahead despite Charlotte's and Miami's advances.

Please note that this is the opinion of a geographer and not an economist or statistician, thus I have no studies or databases or research projects to back this up.

So just because Atlanta (or Philadelphia or Austin or Nashville or Oklahoma City for that matter) does something, it doesn't mean that Houston can.

Edited by GovernorAggie
Unless Atlanta's economy is much stronger than Houston's (which is may be in some ways--I have no idea). Even if it isn't, IMO, Atlanta has such primacy over the Southeast that it wouldn't surprise me if Atlanta always had more developments that would be viewed questionably in Houston. I think that in the national scheme of things, Houston will play second to Dallas in the Southwest for the foreseeable future, whereas Atlanta is still basically the heart of the region in a chunk of the country that's south of D.C. and east of Texas--and will only pull further ahead despite Charlotte's and Miami's advances.

Please note that this is the opinion of a geographer and not an economist or statistician, thus I have no studies or databases or research projects to back this up.

So just because Atlanta (or Philadelphia or Austin or Nashville or Oklahoma City for that matter) does something, it doesn't mean that Houston can.

Come on guys, basing a city's importance on hotel chains?!

Atlanta has two Ritz Carltons and two Ws because Starwood Hotels is based in Atlanta, simple as that.

Atlanta has two Ritz Carltons and two Ws because Starwood Hotels is based in Atlanta, simple as that.

Wikipedia and their site says it's White Plains, NY. Unless it changed?

Edited by lockmat

Lockmat is correct. Starwood is not based in Atlanta. In addition to that flaw, Ritz Carlton is not related to Starwood. Ritz Carlton is owned by Marriott (although I believe the Ritz Carlton division of Marriott is based in Atlanta)

Atlanta has two Ritz and four W's. Starwood also is not located in Atlanta.

IHG is headquarted in Atlanta (Intercontinental, Crown Plaza, Holiday Inn, ect)

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope this "Oaks District" (or whatever it's called) project makes it. With all of the other mixed use projects stalling to break ground, this looks like the most ambitious one that will make the biggest impact. I'm getting skeptical about Regent Square.

I really hope this "Oaks District" (or whatever it's called) project makes it. With all of the other mixed use projects stalling to break ground, this looks like the most ambitious one that will make the biggest impact. I'm getting skeptical about Regent Square.

i'm hearing that there's been some delays at BLVD Place as well....

i'm hearing that there's been some delays at BLVD Place as well....

Not surprised. As healthy as the Houston economy is relative to the rest of the country, it still matters if the financing is there or not. Unfortunately, I don't think these projects are locally financed.

BLVD Place is under construction right?

I think Regent Square will happen. It is one of those projects that goes through in phases, and not all at once like BLVD Place or Oaks District. That, and it is aiming for a more mixed crowd and not all upscale.

Edited by Trae

i know this is a change of subject, but today i was driving past the space where the aloft hotel is going to be and on the wall marketing signs it says that it will also be a mixed used development with phone numbers to get in touch with retail and office leasing information. Does anyone know anything about this? I thought it was only goign to be the hotel.

as i mentioned before somewhere in this thread, they were planning on an october groundbreaking.

hopefully thats still the case...

edited because above quote was all screwy and had me quoting eng.

Hey, you know how it is. October is just around the corner and somebody here is certainly going to hold you to that estimate. ;)

Has Starwood issued a press release regarding the W Houston yet?

I repeat my question. Do people here actually think that Starwood is going to build a W hotel without issuing a press release, or are some posters really just fooling themselves, and others, who don't know any better?

I repeat my question. Do people here actually think that Starwood is going to build a W hotel without issuing a press release, or are some posters really just fooling themselves, and others, who don't know any better?

The W is opening in Houston. No way the developer would have the W sign and stuff in the renderings. There was a Chronicle article on this development, too.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Anything new on the Oaks District developement? It was suppose to break ground in January right?

I think this is the latest rendering.... :unsure:

Not sure...I'm searching CBREs website and not finding any listings for it just yet...

Not sure...I'm searching CBREs website and not finding any listings for it just yet...

I've read post on SSP saying that the WestCreek apartments will be cleared in October an groundbreaking was supposed to be in January. (I don't know if they broked ground yet.)

I've been told by a reliable little bird that it is on hold indefinitely.

But for what it's worth...Oliver McMillan still has it on their website and the company leasing the retail still has it listed in their current projects. But then again, CBRE still has High Street listed and that company doing Hardy Yards does too, muahahaha, lol! :P

Edited by lockmat