Proposed W Hotel In Uptown

W Hotel  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What Development will Land the "W" in Houston?

• BLVD Place
    • Westcreek - Whatever it's called
    • Highland Village
    • Somewhere else
    • Don't kid yourself. Houston can't support a "W"
    • Downtown (Even though it would be financial suicide

Since the cat is coming out of the bag.

There are two hotels on the site. One the W which is 26 floors, and two a La Meridian which is 12 floors. The third tower is condos and is 36 floors.

I take it this if for the River Oaks District?

This is BIG news. La Meridian is swanky. That's more exciting to me than the W! And, a 36 story condo tower will stand out quite nicely in that area. With Turnberry's proposal, BLVD Place, Whiteco's potential twins, and possibly the revamping of the Monaco, Uptown's skyline will start filling in nicely.

Also, after years of being one of the weaker office markets, Uptown is tight again. I wonder when someone will break ground on an office tower in that area?

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

With the Galleria and Highland Village, and the proposals for BLVD Place, River Oaks District, and HighStreet all in that area, it seems like they are going to be trying to sign every retailer on the planet! That's a lot of retail space. Is there enough retail to go around? I don't know much about shopping, but I know we don't have a Bloomingdales, a Barneys, H&M, or a Prada. Oh, and I just remembered there's West Ave going up down the road. Also Regent Square, but I don't know if that's supposed to have a large retail component. I'd like to see a high-end car dealership go in one of them, like at the Wynn in Vegas, just for window-shopping, I like looking at those cars and daydreaming. In 10 years this area is going to be off the hook crazy, it's exciting. Except for the inevitable traffic jams, not so exciting.

With the Galleria and Highland Village, and the proposals for BLVD Place, River Oaks District, and HighStreet all in that area, it seems like they are going to be trying to sign every retailer on the planet! That's a lot of retail space. Is there enough retail to go around? I don't know much about shopping, but I know we don't have a Bloomingdales, a Barneys, H&M, or a Prada. Oh, and I just remembered there's West Ave going up down the road. Also Regent Square, but I don't know if that's supposed to have a large retail component. I'd like to see a high-end car dealership go in one of them, like at the Wynn in Vegas, just for window-shopping, I like looking at those cars and daydreaming. In 10 years this area is going to be off the hook crazy, it's exciting. Except for the inevitable traffic jams, not so exciting.

Regent Square is supposed to be home to some high end retailers in addition to a boutique hotel and is breaking ground in the next month. All of these developments should be very interesting and exciting for Houston.

I am excited about this as well, but I will point out a few things. Some of the rendering, are renderings from Dallas projects. ie the Barneys photo and picture of the W hotel is the Dallas W hotel, and one of the other pictures is a picture of The 43 story Mandarin Oriental Hotel going up in Victory Park in Dallas. It could be they are the same developers and are just using those as ideas to pattern the Houston project after, Not sure but I am excited as well

I saw the rendering of this project this week and it is freaking incredible. Even people in my office who have built all over the world think it is phenom. And it is not a Barney's going in with it.

What is nice about it? The height? The style? The size? The crown? The lighting?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1. i hope we get it

2. i hope its a *good* one. (ie. LA not Chicago lakeshore)

3. if it is R.O. district, i hope it spawns a few more uber-trendy, over-priced, after-hours places in highland village. :P

The W Hotel is coming and is estimated to break ground in September of 2008. It will be included in a complex that is touted as a "mini Galleria" sort of a Rodeo Drive for Houston. The W will be built with a La Meridian Hotel, and a Condo tower all in the same complex. The Pre Construction on this project has already been underway for a few months.

The W Hotel is coming and is estimated to break ground in September of 2008. It will be included in a complex that is touted as a "mini Galleria" sort of a Rodeo Drive for Houston. The W will be built with a La Meridian Hotel, and a Condo tower all in the same complex. The Pre Construction on this project has already been underway for a few months.

Any idea when we will get an official announcement? Or have we already?

That's exciting news. I can't wait to see renderings!

I have seen the renderings they are phenominal. This project won't dissapoint.

And this project is for real and for sure. The property is secured, the financing is in place, the preconstruction budgets, schedules, and drawings are currently being developed.

And this project is for real and for sure. The property is secured, the financing is in place, the preconstruction budgets, schedules, and drawings are currently being developed.

This is the Westcreek site, correct?

I can't even imagine how bad traffic will be if they put all of that there. It's already terrible.

If it's going to be at BLVD place, all I can say is "Oy Vey".

Well, at least there will be ONE lane of traffic that's going to be moving...that'll be the Rail Lane.

I can't even fathom what it's going to be like during construction. Can you picture all those cement trucks?

can any stats on the building be revealed at all? Height, floors, footprint, will they allow pets? :)

If it's going to be at BLVD place, all I can say is "Oy Vey".

Well, at least there will be ONE lane of traffic that's going to be moving...that'll be the Rail Lane.

I can't even fathom what it's going to be like during construction. Can you picture all those cement trucks?

can any stats on the building be revealed at all? Height, floors, footprint, will they allow pets? :)

It's pretty much a given that it's going in at one of those sites within that 3 mile radius, so either way traffic is going to be a nightmare. I think I would rather it be at Westcreek, just to see some high rises move towards downtown. And maybe one day it will help push for a subway from downtown to uptown...

It's pretty much a given that it's going in at one of those sites within that 3 mile radius, so either way traffic is going to be a nightmare. I think I would rather it be at Westcreek, just to see some high rises move towards downtown. And maybe one day it will help push for a subway from downtown to uptown...

Which development is westcreek? It's not the same as the river oaks district right? can you post a link to some info for me?

What is holding back an announcement to the public?

How familiar is anybody with Le Meridien? I know its another Starwood chain but their website doesn't provide extensive exterior architectural shots from which to draw conclusions.

The domestic cities Le Meridien is currently in are:

New York City, NY

Cambridge, MA

Sunny Isles Beach, FL

Los Angeles, CA (Beverly Hills)

Palm Springs, CA

San Francisco, CA

They are not in Dallas, presently, so I fully expect a shouting match to ensue.

lol this is funny. I always joke with my Dallas friends when they try to pull the "oh, we have a W and a Ritz and Houston doesn't". Of course they have those hotels, you better have a nice place for us to stay when us Houston folks are in town! It's not Dallas people staying in those hotels, it's us Houston peeps, and we demand nice places.

How familiar is anybody with Le Meridien? I know its another Starwood chain but their website doesn't provide extensive exterior architectural shots from which to draw conclusions.

The domestic cities Le Meridien is currently in are:

New York City, NY

Cambridge, MA

Sunny Isles Beach, FL

Los Angeles, CA (Beverly Hills)

Palm Springs, CA

San Francisco, CA

In my experience, they are VERY nice hotels. I have stayed in the Parker Le Meridien in NYC and I had lunch once in the Le Meridien in NOLA (which apparently is no longer a Le Meridien). There also used to be one in Dallas. IIRC, I think there may have been one in Houston, way back in the oil boom days of the late 70s/early 80s. It looks like the chain had fallen on hard times before Starwood bought them fairly recently.

In my experience, they are VERY nice hotels. I have stayed in the Parker Le Meridien in NYC and I had lunch once in the Le Meridien in NOLA (which apparently is no longer a Le Meridien). There also used to be one in Dallas. IIRC, I think there may have been one in Houston, way back in the oil boom days of the late 70s/early 80s. It looks like the chain had fallen on hard times before Starwood bought them fairly recently.

The Doubletree in Allen Center used to be the Houston Le Meridien hotel. I'm not sure in the differences between either chain, their clientele or the like... but maybe there's some similarity.

The Doubletree in Allen Center used to be the Houston Le Meridien hotel. I'm not sure in the differences between either chain, their clientele or the like... but maybe there's some similarity.

I've stayed in the one in Beverly Hills. I didn't see much that differentiated it from other upper end hotels. The beds were glorious though.

Archived