Proposed W Hotel In Uptown

W Hotel  

147 members have voted

1. 1. What Development will Land the "W" in Houston?

• BLVD Place
    • Westcreek - Whatever it's called
    • Highland Village
    • Somewhere else
    • Don't kid yourself. Houston can't support a "W"
    • Downtown (Even though it would be financial suicide

The Dallas Mandarin Oriental is under construction now, right next door to the W in Victory Park.

This straight from the mouth of a guy I know who works for Starwood - W in Houston is currently "under consideration," as many posters have already said, but the next W to be built in Texas will be in Austin.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Dallas Mandarin Oriental is under construction now, right next door to the W in Victory Park.

This straight from the mouth of a guy I know who works for Starwood - W in Houston is currently "under consideration," as many posters have already said, but the next W to be built in Texas will be in Austin.

Actually, the Dallas Mandarin Oriental is not yet under construction. They are currently saying they expect construction to start this fall.

For those of you who say Houston can't handle a W Hotel I think your wrong. If Dallas and Atlanta can get a W then Houston can get one ( not the reason Houston should get on). Dallas is a good city but I hate it when people think of Texas cities they think Dallas. That sucks! Houston GREATEST city on Earth!

Actually, the Dallas Mandarin Oriental is not yet under construction. They are currently saying they expect construction to start this fall.

I think the one in Austin might be under construction already. Not 100% certain, just though I was reading an article mentioning it.

The Oriental in Victory is going to incredible when completed. I have a friend doing the interiornwall coverings and they are spending a kings ransom.

I think the one in Austin might be under construction already. Not 100% certain, just though I was reading an article mentioning it.

The Oriental in Victory is going to incredible when completed. I have a friend doing the interiornwall coverings and they are spending a kings ransom.

Mandarin Oriental in Austin? Did you mean to refer to the W in Austin being under construction? (And I don't think they've started construction on the Austin W yet, but not certain about that.)

I've stayed at the W Dallas every Mon-Thursday for the past 6 months. It's a cool place, and Dallas goes ga-ga over it, but I think it's a bunch of LA wanna-be's. The hotel has the worst service I've ever encountered in a luxury hotel. They hire a bunch of "cool" young people to work there who have no idea how to do simple things like get your room service order correct, bring the right car to the valet, shine shoes, calculate a room bill, etc. The service is laughable there. The place typifies the city of Dallas to me - always looking for something trendy from another location and thinking they're "all that" since they have it... I've never seen a city try so hard to be cool. Please. However, the reason most business travellers like myself stay there is because it's the nicest starwood property near downtown. Starwood has by far the best rewards program of the major chains, and that's what business travellers care about (myself included....).

The Mandarin Oriental is under construction right next to the W in Dallas. I watch it going up every morning out my window when I wake up. It's in the Victory Tower development. I've stayed in the MO in Miami, and yes, it's a pimp hotel. Very nice. I've also stayed in the Peninsula in Chicago and I think it was the most luxurious of the 3. The Four Seasons still tops my list, however...

Just my two cents...

I've stayed at the W Dallas every Mon-Thursday for the past 6 months. It's a cool place, and Dallas goes ga-ga over it, but I think it's a bunch of LA wanna-be's. The hotel has the worst service I've ever encountered in a luxury hotel. They hire a bunch of "cool" young people to work there who have no idea how to do simple things like get your room service order correct, bring the right car to the valet, shine shoes, calculate a room bill, etc. The service is laughable there. The place typifies the city of Dallas to me - always looking for something trendy from another location and thinking they're "all that" since they have it... I've never seen a city try so hard to be cool. Please. However, the reason most business travellers like myself stay there is because it's the nicest starwood property near downtown. Starwood has by far the best rewards program of the major chains, and that's what business travellers care about (myself included....).

The Mandarin Oriental is under construction right next to the W in Dallas. I watch it going up every morning out my window when I wake up. It's in the Victory Tower development. I've stayed in the MO in Miami, and yes, it's a pimp hotel. Very nice. I've also stayed in the Peninsula in Chicago and I think it was the most luxurious of the 3. The Four Seasons still tops my list, however...

Just my two cents...

Take a closer look at that "Mandarin Oriental" construction site. I'm pretty sure you'll see that the construction on the north end of the site (where the hotel/office/condo tower will be sited) has not actually started. What they are currently building is the adjoining parking structure which will have retail on street level and provide much needed parking for the entire Victory Park development. The word is, construction on the actual tower will start this fall... maybe.

I've stayed at the W Dallas every Mon-Thursday for the past 6 months. It's a cool place, and Dallas goes ga-ga over it, but I think it's a bunch of LA wanna-be's.

I totally agree and have heard many similar comments about other W hotels. The concept is very much a marketing ploy, combined with a lot of hype. When you get down to it, there are many other hotels that are just as nice, with far better service. We already have several in Houston.

However, the reason most business travellers like myself stay there is because it's the nicest starwood property near downtown. Starwood has by far the best rewards program of the major chains, and that's what business travellers care about (myself included....).

Yeah the points are very important to a lot of us in making hotel choices. Although I'd argue against Starwood being by far the best, but to each his own. :lol:

W Hotels are to today, like what Hard Rock Cafes/Planet Hollywoods were to the 90's. Every city wants one to show how cool they are, but when every city has gotten one...none of them are cool. It's all just 'keeping up with the Jones'.

The comparison to Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood is great imo. "Trendy" is very hard to make profitable in the long run. Big splash followed by endless discussion of "man, have you seen the new XYZ? It's great! So crowded. Then, check the financials on the hotel in 3 years. Trendy only lasts so long. Za Za????

The comparison to Hard Rock and Planet Hollywood is great imo. "Trendy" is very hard to make profitable in the long run. Big splash followed by endless discussion of "man, have you seen the new XYZ? It's great! So crowded. Then, check the financials on the hotel in 3 years. Trendy only lasts so long. Za Za????

Couldn't agree with you more. I went to the Hotel ZaZa bar last weekend. Very packed and trendy. But trendy in a bizarre kind of way. I left there wondering how long it would last. I guess I just prefer more of a classic trendy look and feel. I'm sure they spent a lot of money on black hardwood floors throughout and the maniquin (sp?) in cages above registration, but does that really appeal to that broad of a group?

W Hotels are to today, like what Hard Rock Cafes/Planet Hollywoods were to the 90's. Every city wants one to show how cool they are, but when every city has gotten one...none of them are cool. It's all just 'keeping up with the Jones'.

Boy, ain't that the truth.

It seems that I read in the paper (the villager) that The Woodlands Development Co. is working hard to land a W hotel. I'll see if I can pull the article.

A new "luxury boutique" hotel called Avia will be opening on Market St in the Woodlands, so I doubt a W will enter the market.

Boy, ain't that the truth.

A new "luxury boutique" hotel called Avia will be opening on Market St in the Woodlands, so I doubt a W will enter the market.

the market street hotel and the waterway square hotel are two different developments. i had not heard the name "avia" yet, but it has been mentioned that an announcement would come about this year.

did you read the article about increased hotel occupancy in the woodlands? i can't find it.

I've stayed at the W Dallas every Mon-Thursday for the past 6 months. It's a cool place, and Dallas goes ga-ga over it, but I think it's a bunch of LA wanna-be's. The hotel has the worst service I've ever encountered in a luxury hotel. They hire a bunch of "cool" young people to work there who have no idea how to do simple things like get your room service order correct, bring the right car to the valet, shine shoes, calculate a room bill, etc. The service is laughable there. The place typifies the city of Dallas to me - always looking for something trendy from another location and thinking they're "all that" since they have it... I've never seen a city try so hard to be cool. Please. . . .

Do you think this would pertain to Houston as well?

Who the heck hangs out at these hotels, anyway?

Why would a person from Houston want to hang out at a hotel in Houston?

600xPopupGallery.jpg

This is the kind of person that would hang out in a hotel or motel for that matter. Paris is out of commission for now, so someone has to step in!

I would be flattered if the people at W Hotel thought that there were not enough poseurs and wannabes in Houston to support their hotel. Hopefully, it goes to the Woodlands, just where bachanon wants it.

i don't believe i've expressed a preference.

Who the heck hangs out at these hotels, anyway?

Why would a person from Houston want to hang out at a hotel in Houston?

I know a lot of people who go to the Black Swan at the Omni looking for some lonely out of town guests. But other than that, it's like going to any other bar in Houston.

I know a lot of people who go to the Black Swan at the Omni looking for some lonely out of town guests. But other than that, it's like going to any other bar in Houston.

That is hilarious! I'm sorry it just sounds so bizarre. "looking for some lonely out of town guests".

Sounds just like scene out of "Looking for Mr Goodbar" or "Barfly". I can just see a Mrs Robinson type hanging out with a cig in her mouth, dry martini in hand. "Benjamin, I'm only trying to seduce you". Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct" joins in too.

Now that everyone knows the Black Swan will get more popular now!

That is hilarious! I'm sorry it just sounds so bizarre. "looking for some lonely out of town guests".

Sounds just like scene out of "Looking for Mr Goodbar" or "Barfly". I can just see a Mrs Robinson type hanging out with a cig in her mouth, dry martini in hand. "Benjamin, I'm only trying to seduce you". Sharon Stone in "Basic Instinct" joins in too.

Now that everyone knows the Black Swan will get more popular now!

More like a scene from Pretty Woman. St. Regis has same "guests.". They will probably relocate to Zaza.

Archived