I think my trees are sick....

I have two oak trees in my front yard that are starting to turn brown. They are old trees, been around longer than I have, and with all the rain we've had I wouldn't think they'd be dying.

Any recommendations on someone I could call to take a look at my trees? I am in The Heights/Garden Oaks area.

I think they're called Arborists. If the leaves are curled and brown, its probably too dry. Other than that I don't know. Also some nasty worms from Asia started invading a few years ago. They eat all the leaves but they don't usually kill anything.

Make sure the Arborist is licensed and bonded. If He accidentally kills the tree from cutting too much off, you have recourse.

Guess I'm the opposite. I hope my old trees get deseased and crumble. They were there when I moved and were pure trouble. Roots broke neighbors plumbing, etc. These trees grew up wild where they were. Former owner couldnt afford to cut them I assume. The nabe is older and most of these cruddy china berry trees are hellish on concrete, etc. Grow too big and awkward. Most are hollow inside and can fall over on cars, people at any time. There I've vented, feels good too. :P

Guess I'm the opposite. I hope my old trees get deseased and crumble. They were there when I moved and were pure trouble. Roots broke neighbors plumbing, etc. These trees grew up wild where they were. Former owner couldnt afford to cut them I assume. The nabe is older and most of these cruddy china berry trees are hellish on concrete, etc. Grow too big and awkward. Most are hollow inside and can fall over on cars, people at any time. There I've vented, feels good too. :P

I would DEFINATELY pull up ANY Chinaberry trees, all they are good for is making a mess, and for throwing the berries at schoolmates while waiting at the bus stop. At least that's what we did back in the 80's.

I would DEFINATELY pull up ANY Chinaberry trees, all they are good for is making a mess, and for throwing the berries at schoolmates while waiting at the bus stop. At least that's what we did back in the 80's.

Try it with a sling shot. Killer.

The older ones that most of my whole neighborhood are cutting are unreal. When they lay them out for heavy trash pick up they are about as big & round as patio tables and get this, hollow inside. Big enough for a man to stand in. Pretty scary. So when next big storm comes its Timber!

No wonder squirrels, racoons and rats live inside them. They are like high rise condos for them. Living life at the top.

We used to have one of those horse apple trees by my bus stop. We' throw them at the side of the stop sign and cut them in half, very sticky. There was also a china berry tree. When they would get over-ripe and brown we called them "poo berries". Good times.

I am pretty sure I don't have any china berry trees. If I find some I will cut them down. Back to the oak trees though, I checked and they are white oaks. My point of posting this was not to reminisce about "poo berries" (though it has been fun). If anyone has had this problem, or recently dealt with an arborist or tree service that you would recommend, perhaps you provide their contact information. If not, bus stories are fun too.

There was a kid on my bus that was so good at pencil break, I played him with a mechanical pencil and he still beat me.

Guest Marty

The Water Oak life span is shorter than Live Oaks, Water Oaks starts to decline around 50 years when the top lateral branches start to break off in storms. Live Oaks usually start to decline after 120+ years unless you use alot of Weed and Feed in your lawn, that will kill any tree. Water Oaks leaves look's like duck feet.

The Water Oak life span is shorter than Live Oaks, Water Oaks starts to decline around 50 years when the top lateral branches start to break off in storms. Live Oaks usually start to decline after 120+ years unless you use alot of Weed and Feed in your lawn, that will kill any tree. Water Oaks leaves look's like duck feet.

Uh oh.................I used Weed and Feed. That must be it. Am I totally screwed or can I bring it back?

Uh oh.................I used Weed and Feed. That must be it. Am I totally screwed or can I bring it back?

How much did you use...and when? How much in the area directly under the tree's branches?

I used one bag, but it's not that big of a yard. The tree limbs of the two trees pretty much cover the yard. I think I put it out in March. The trees only started looking bad over the last two or three weeks. The trees are surrounded by a large flower bed, so I didn't put any directly at the base of the tree.

Guest Marty

Before i moved into this house i could tell someone over did it on the weed and feed. The lawn was half bare and burnt and a 40+ year old pine tree needle clusters looked thin, now i have only one 2' diameter spot and the tree is back on track.

Before i moved into this house i could tell someone over did it on the weed and feed. The lawn was half bare and burnt and a 40+ year old pine tree needle clusters looked thin, now i have only one 2' diameter spot and the tree is back on track.

My property had about 4 large over grown pathetic trees. One was so big, a branch had fallen thought the roof at one time. (2 story house too) I could tell by the repairs inside the attic.

Sure they must have provided nice shade and cooled the house (maybe) but there was hardly any grass to be seen as the shade blocked it from growing. As soon as we did away with these rotted trees all the grass came back with little or no fertilizer.

Warning alert: Hurricane season is here and now is the time to cut down heavy over hanging branches over house or garage before its too late! In the weekend rains we had, there were numerous BIG branches already falling down around my nabe. That was just from the weight of the water on the branches, imagine with high wind?! :ph34r:

You want overhanging branches to shade your house and cut your utility bill, right? That's why you need an arborist and not anyone with a landscaping crew. They can identify weak branches which connect to the tree at a sharp V-shaped angle. The worst tree we have in Houston is the Bradford Pear. They'd seem invasive if we didn't already know that they were being dispersed by people who like the clean shape of the young trees. The problem is they are full of those weak branch connections. They grow too heavy until they split in a minor storm over your neighbor's garage roof.

Arborist's association - lists local companies with Certified Arborists on staff.

I've used Arbor Care twice; they're expensive but good. The guy who cut my oaks last time was an artist.

Trees Inc is good and less expensive but they do the work for the power companies and are hard as heck to get to come out to do just one yard.

I think there's another associaton, International Association of Arborists, or something.

Archived