Galveston's Own Citywalk

)

So this would be like a faux-version of The Strand?

More like a faux Beal St. The Strand residents complain about everything (music, parking, etc). I really hope this gets off the ground. As a local, I'd visit this frequently.

City Walk is glitzy, but boring. It's just stores with lots of lights to me. I guess the one thing it has going on for itself is the studios and movie theatre.

I think Houston could use a little glitz someplace. Though City Walk is basically how you decribed it, sometimes a little glitz and flash can change the whole dynamic of something. In certain situations, spending money on details can be worth it, even if it is indeed "just a store".

I think Houston could use a little glitz someplace. Though City Walk is basically how you decribed it, sometimes a little glitz and flash can change the whole dynamic of something. In certain situations, spending money on details can be worth it, even if it is indeed "just a store".

True.

I agree with Lockmat that it would essentially be lots of stores with lights, and probably stores you can find elsewhere in Houston. However, this sure would be fun. I've really enjoyed my visits to places like Universal Citywalk and Downtown Disney. I think it's the glitz and complete experience they give you that make these places so entertaining. I bet this would draw a lot of people.

I haven't personally been to Kemah Boardwalk, but this sounds similar. Is that a valid comparison?

I really hope this works out. This will be great for the Island. I like the Glitz and glamor of it thats perfect for an island. I have only been to Kemah 4 or 5 times and when I was there it was just a place to eat, shop at the little stores, get on the rides, and just enjoy the water. Most of the shops are just small gift shops. I dont remenber music.

I dont remenber music.

sometimes they have bands by the kiddie fountain area... i've seen a couple, but not many.

as for downtown disney... i just spent Sunday nite - Thursday morning at the Hilton across the street, and I didn't visit Downtown Disney once.

I didn't really want to check out Planet Hollywood (terrible food) or Joe's Crab Shack (semi-terrible food). I thought about going to the House of Blues, but didn't.

I'd probably go to this thing in Galveston a few times, and then the glitz would wear off.

Galveston needs a good "strip" in my opinion. It's close, now. I know people would hate the traffic, but beachfront roads aren't really made for getting somewhere quickly.

I'm rambling.

Something like Citywalk would be a lot of fun. The problem is that Galveston doesn't get in a comparable level of tourists to support it.

And I believe one of the reasons Galveston and the Houston Metro Area in general does not get the level of tourists to support those types of things is because the area as a whole lacks those types of things. The phrase "Build it and they will come", does not always work, however there are times when it does. There tends to be a negative attitude in the Houston area toward anything with flash or glitz and I think it hurts the city. That attitude can easily give way to mediocrity and a lack of attention to details. Sometimes it's the small things that makes all the difference.

Moody venue not music to Downtown ears

citywalkuw6.jpg

By Heber Taylor

The Daily News

Published June 17, 2007

I guess you saw the story that Moody Gardens is looking at a plan to replace Austin as the music capitol of Texas.

The $150 million addition would include a theater for large events on a raised deck. Smaller places would be under the covered walkway. In the evening, strollers could walk around and sample jazz, blues and country.

The Moody Foundation, which has almost $2 billion in assets, is in a position to make that happen within three years...

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.l...15efcfabf1b253a

Moody venue not music to Downtown ears

I'd considered that possibility as an impediment to development, and it'll be interesting to see what comes of this, but it doesn't seem as though we're at a point where anyone can draw conclusions on the nature of the impact. I think that a performance venue similar to the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Theater could be enormously successful on the island, especially considering that Galveston already has such a large tourist infrastructure towards which event-goers could gravitate before and after concerts. It'd certainly beat the pants off of The Woodlands. But having anything more than just the performance venue and concessions open for events could indeed hurt the downtown area if it was not a destination unto itself capable of inducing more tourist traffic to the island.

...now as for the claim that Galveston could unseat Austin as the live music capitol of Texas--not gonna happen. Barring an enormous public subsidy, that's just insane.

The folks downtown are complaining, but where downtown can we find something like this? An entire area dedicated to several music genres with glitz to boot! Downtown's elderly residents don't want that type of atmosphere down there. They are at constant odds with several bar owners on Post Office because of noise from the bars. This is what happens when you try and create a retirement community in your entertainment district.

The folks downtown are complaining, but where downtown can we find something like this? An entire area dedicated to several music genres with glitz to boot! Downtown's elderly residents don't want that type of atmosphere down there. They are at constant odds with several bar owners on Post Office because of noise from the bars. This is what happens when you try and create a retirement community in your entertainment district.

Yeah, when my parents were shopping around for lofts down there a couple weeks back, they stumbled upon several buildings with very reasonable prices, but the owners refused to lease to students and the units were on top of bars and clubs. Doesn't really work too well as an investment strategy.

• 7 months later...
  • The title was changed to Galveston's Own Citywalk

Archived