Williams Tower At 2800 Post Oak Blvd.

DaTrain

I really love this building, but I'd like to point out that it's no longer the tallest building outside of a primary CBD. That, I believe, is the Manara Telekom Tower in Kuala Lumpur. And, I'm pretty certain that numerous buildings in Dubai will soon take the honors. However, Transco is the tallest building in the U.S. outside of a CBD.

Interesting, but from what I've been able to find, it appears that the Manara Telekom Tower is in the central business district.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the pix. Montrose. Most certainly one of my favorite Houston skyscrapers and landmarks. Like the Chrystler Building, although this design represents an era, i think it timeless. 200 years from now, unless there is a RADICAL change in architectural styles, it will still fit nicely into UT's look. I wonder how long it will remain the tallest in UT until surpassed?

Any thoughts?

m. B)

• Like 1

Great shots!

Just wondering if you ended up getting bitched at by any of the rentacops on-site at any point during your photo series...

Only happened a couple of times, only Downtown though. Of corse, I was in the wrong at the JP Morgan Chase Tower, since it was the observation deck. However, at 1400 Smith, I was walking on the street taking a picture, and this woman tells me I can't. I'm like "Chyaah... u know what? Uh-Uh!". And she kept saying "You can't take pictures of the building" and so finally I was like This is a public road, no? I pay taxes, so you can't tell me what to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I contacted Hines management office asking for persmisson to access the observation deck. They allowed me access to watch a sunset.

After that adventure, I'd say that you could probably just walk in the building and take the express elevator to floor 56? and then take the next eleverator to level 64 unless hines has that floor keygaurded as that is there office.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone remember, kinda bleary memory, when the Transco Tower was "almost" completed, or maybe when they started building it, they had this big party at the Tower. I remember going to 2 parties that nite.. first a party of work peeps.. then this. I remember Herschel Berry playing.. the offices were not ready yet, but lots of people, some fancily dressed, but not me in my jeans.

It was a pretty good party..

anyone?

• 5 months later...
I caught the tail end of a story by ABC 13 saying something about the Williams Tower and all the land around it being sold. Can anybody pull the story or has anybody heard about this? Is it for development? Pardon the lack of info.

For a long time, Williams Tower had more than its fair share of vacancy. Now that it is more fully occupied and that a lot of leases have turned over while new ones have been signed, all locking in higher rates, it would seem that the owner is just looking to cash in. As for the land around it, now isn't a bad time to be selling that, either.

Edited by TheNiche
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, this probably means that Transco Williams Tower will get another moniker.

Why can't Houston buidings take a lesson from, say, the Chrysler Building, and just stick with the name under which it was built? These name changes get so confusing.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, this probably means that Transco Williams Tower will get another moniker.

Why can't Houston buidings take a lesson from, say, the Chrysler Building, and just stick with the name under which it was built? These name changes get so confusing.

Naming rights are negotiated as part of a tenant's lease--it isn't just the owner being nice to a corporation for no apparent reason. The sale of a building does not void the terms of any tenant's lease.

• Like 1

For a long time, Williams Tower had more than its fair share of vacancy. Now that it is more fully occupied and that a lot of leases have turned over while new ones have been signed, all locking in higher rates, it would seem that the owner is just looking to cash in. As for the land around it, now isn't a bad time to be selling that, either.

I would hate to see some of that park land surrounding the tower to go to other developers. However, I can't help but imagine a cool, dare I say "mixed use", development around it with the Water Wall the central point. Kind of like around the Trevi Fountain in Rome. With all the high dollar condominiums up and going up in that area, it seems to be a likely area.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/5646728.html

A subsidiary of Hines Real Estate Investment Trust is buying the 65-story Williams Tower in the Galleria area for $271.5 million, according to a document filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The sale includes an adjacent parking garage, a 47.8 percent undivided interest in a 2.8-acre park and waterwall and a 2.3-acre land parcel across the street from the tower on Post Oak Boulevard.

The balance of the undivided interest in the park and waterwall is owned by an affiliate of Hines Interests Limited Partnership.

Houston-based Hines built the 1.5-million-square-foot Transco Tower in 1982. It was eventually renamed and is approximately 91 percent leased.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/sto...tml?t=printable

Hines REIT Properties LP has a contract to acquire the 64-story landmark -- the tallest building in the Galleria area -- in a deal expected to close on May 1. Houston-based Hines originally developed the 1.5 million-square-foot building in 1982, but no longer holds an ownership stake in the structure.

Hines' headquarters is located in the building at 2800 Post Oak Blvd. Hines and its affiliates lease about 135,000 square feet in the building, and Hines is responsible for leasing and managing the skyscraper.