Williams Tower At 2800 Post Oak Blvd.

DaTrain

Naming rights don't automatically go to the largest tenant in a building. Some landlords offer it as an incentive or perk to lure a large tenant, but in most cases when a building has low vacancy levels, the naming rights are leased or sold to the highest bidder. If the building is leased up and the landlord doesn't have to give it away to lure a tenant, it becomes a lucrative income stream for the building's owner.

Naming rights don't automatically go to the largest tenant in a building. Some landlords offer it as an incentive or perk to lure a large tenant, but in most cases when a building has low vacancy levels, the naming rights are leased or sold to the highest bidder. If the building is leased up and the landlord doesn't have to give it away to lure a tenant, it becomes a lucrative income stream for the building's owner.

Good insight.

It's also possible that Williams has the naming rights as part of its original leasing deal, so they may not be available for another company to take over.

That said, some of the earlier comments suggest a Wachovia headquarters move to Houston. I don't think that would happen. But it wouldn't have to move its operations to Williams Tower to get the name change -- just open an office there. Much like Bank of America is still headquartered in San Francisco, but has a building named after it in Downtown Houston.

Good insight.

It's also possible that Williams has the naming rights as part of its original leasing deal, so they may not be available for another company to take over.

That said, some of the earlier comments suggest a Wachovia headquarters move to Houston. I don't think that would happen. But it wouldn't have to move its operations to Williams Tower to get the name change -- just open an office there. Much like Bank of America is still headquartered in San Francisco, but has a building named after it in Downtown Houston.

Is Wachovia the biggest corporation that calls Charlotte it's headquarters?

Then should we also be requried to call Minute Maid Park - Enron Field forever too. I hope not.

I don't think you can compare the two. Transco was bought by Williams, where Enron imploded into bankruptcy. Transco didn't hurt thousands of people, nor does it conjure a negative connotation as Enron does.

Much like Bank of America is still headquartered in San Francisco, but has a building named after it in Downtown Houston.
Is Wachovia the biggest corporation that calls Charlotte it's headquarters?
I believe Bank of America, which at one time was another local North Carolina bank (North Carolina National Bank, or NCNB), is the largest.

Bank of America (formerly NationsBank, formerly NCNB, formerly North Carolina National Bank) is headquartered in Charolotte, not in San Francisco, and is indeed the largest company headquartered in Charlotte.

I don't think you can compare the two. Transco was bought by Williams, where Enron imploded into bankruptcy. Transco didn't hurt thousands of people, nor does it conjure a negative connotation as Enron does.

Pardon my ignorance: What was Transco Tower named after. What kind of company was Transco, and if it wasn't a company, then what exactly is a transco?

Pardon my ignorance: What was Transco Tower named after. What kind of company was Transco, and if it wasn't a company, then what exactly is a transco?

transco energy company

http://www.williams.com/newsmedia/newsreleases/rel354.html

Williams, which merged with Transco Energy Company in 1995, is one of the nation’s largest-volume transporters of natural gas in North America.
Edited by sevfiv

I was being a little sarcastic, but If Transco is no longer a ongoing concern or is owned by a bigger entity than the name should change.

I am sure your original comment was toungue in cheeck as well.

• Like 1

As for name changes, I will always think of Williams Tower as Transco.

Also I call the building on the SWF The Summit, not Compaq Center, and certainly not Lakewood Church. Maybe comes from not living in Houston since 1992. I also don't think of Reliant's tower as anything other than 1100 Milam and actually I think of Reliant itself as HL&P and Entex. Yep, old habits die hard.

• Like 1

Also I call the building on the SWF The Summit, not Compaq Center, and certainly not Lakewood Church. Maybe comes from not living in Houston since 1992. I also don't think of Reliant's tower as anything other than 1100 Milam and actually I think of Reliant itself as HL&P and Entex. Yep, old habits die hard.

I think they should just call it Enron Tower. That should encompass just about everything.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Williams Tower - formerly known as Transco Tower

Height: 901 feet

64 stories

Circa: 1983

Architects: Johnson Burgee and Morris Aubry

Facts

- Then Transco Tower became Williams Tower when Transco Energy was bought out by Williams Energy Corp. in 1999

- Tallest building outside of any CBD

- Rotating beacon at night on roof every 15 seconds

- Williams Tower functions as two 32-floor towers stacked on top of each other, complete with separate lobbies, elevators, and garages.

- South of the building is a 3-acre park with a large fountain called the "Waterwall" (aka Transco Fountain), designed by the building's architects with Richard Fitzgerald & Partners. The fountain is a stunning work of hydraulic engineering.

- The top of the building features a beacon that sweeps the night sky over the Galleria area.

- Construction took only 16 months, a remarkably short time for a tower of such height.

2 Pics by Patrick Benders

ac9kg.gif

ac9yq.gif

WilliamsTower-001.jpg

Next four Pics by Mancuso

25470724.jpg

25470727.jpg

25470409.jpg

Former

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Back in the 80s when I was a student at Rice, a buddy of mine and I decided to go up as high as we could in Transco..........

We rode up to the top floor and found a stairwell that led even higher...... we climbed and climbed up until we found ourselves right there next to the motor that drove the spotlight around! And the pyramid roof of the very top was right over our heads. We could not have climbed any higher.

It was odd because the spotlight itself, whose beam we had seen night after night shining its great arc across the wide, flat expanses of our restless, beloved city, apparently emanated from a smallish beacon only about the size of a TV set.

Has anyone else ventured so high in Transco? This all predates 9/11, of course............

In 1999 I was fortunate enough to also climb to the very tip top. It is just exactly as you described and all I can say is EXCITING!

Definitely a day I won't soon forget.

Zbrat

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
The transco is one of my favourites. Please clarify my statement: Is it true that the light on top was inspired by the light on top of the light towers? The light always indicates to me (on 59S) that I am getting closer to home.

No it was not. Mr. Hines in 1982 decided he wanted something different than any other building of this nature. He found a group with Disney World help him design a light as what was installed as the building was completed. :)

The transco is one of my favourites. Please clarify my statement: Is it true that the light on top was inspired by the light on top of the light towers? The light always indicates to me (on 59S) that I am getting closer to home.

No it was not. Mr. Hines in 1982 decided he wanted something different than any other building of this nature. He found a group with Disney World help him design a light as whast was installed as the building was completed. :)

Was that brick structure in front of the water wall always there? It looks terrible.

Yes it was part of the original design and construction that was completed in August of 1983. It apparently has not been kept cleaned as it use to be when I was in Houston with Hines. :)

Edited by Gene Moss
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i never called that areana the compaq center either...always the summit but now i do call it lakewood beucase it's no longer an arena but a supersized church.

the transco tower will always be the transco tower to be but wachovia tower does sound a lot better than williams tower.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll let you guys in on a little secret. P. Johnson played a joke on Houston, when viewed from the air, the Williams Tower with the plaza and waterwall form a very distinct phallic symbol. Burdette Keeland said this was done on purpose.

• Like 1

Although mine aren't as good as some posted, I thought I would put in a couple of photo's I've taken recently.

DSC_0172.jpg

Edit: Sorry, I had another cool pic of Williams but don't have it loaded to my Photobucket acount. I'll post it later.

Don't sell yourself short. That is an amazing photo. I've never seen that angle before. It almost doesn't look like Houston. Amazing photo skills. Can't wait for the other one.

• Like 1

Actually, this tower is pretty awesome. It reflects power, greatness and America's Energy Capital so well. There isn't anything more intended; stop with the negative junk. We have the tallest building in the world outside a CBD. Houston, you are one big Mother..... I am so fortunte I get to be a part of it. H-town B)

Edited by houstonfella
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

My Ex-Wife called it the "RAID" building, reminding her of the old, (1970's) "Raid Pest Spray" commercial showing an animated, tall can sweeping out a "dose of poison gas" from his "cap", no disrespect intended, it has always been one of my favorites as well, and is one of the few things I can smile about when I think of our marriage gone wrong...
[quote name='DaTrain' date='Saturday, January 15th, 2005 @ 6:54pm' post='12158']

Williams Tower - formerly known as Transco Tower

Height: 901 feet

64 stories

Circa: 1983

Architects: Johnson Burgee and Morris Aubry

Facts

- Then Transco Tower became Williams Tower when Transco Energy was bought out by Williams Energy Corp. in 1999

- Tallest building outside of any CBD

- Rotating beacon at night on roof every 15 seconds

- Williams Tower functions as two 32-floor towers stacked on top of each other, complete with separate lobbies, elevators, and garages.

- South of the building is a 3-acre park with a large fountain called the "Waterwall" (aka Transco Fountain), designed by the building's architects with Richard Fitzgerald & Partners. The fountain is a stunning work of hydraulic engineering.

- The top of the building features a beacon that sweeps the night sky over the Galleria area.

- Construction took only 16 months, a remarkably short time for a tower of such height.

2 Pics by Patrick Benders

ac9kg.gif

ac9yq.gif

WilliamsTower-001.jpg

Next four Pics by Mancuso

25470724.jpg

25470727.jpg

25470409.jpg

Former "TRANSCO" inscription

25580486.jpg

Waterwall

WaterWall-001.jpg

From Soul of America

WaterWall_at_theG.jpg

• Like 1

I really love this building, but I'd like to point out that it's no longer the tallest building outside of a primary CBD. That, I believe, is the Manara Telekom Tower in Kuala Lumpur. And, I'm pretty certain that numerous buildings in Dubai will soon take the honors. However, Transco is the tallest building in the U.S. outside of a CBD.

• Like 1