Cricket Mobile

Does anyone have Cricket? They seem to have made a big splash here in Houston and I have several associates with them, but I'd like to know some other thoughts about the service.

Most of my calling is done locally and when I had cellular service before (600M) I was ALWAYS going over and racking up huge overage charges, so the unlimited calling makes sense for me. Also the unlimited txt messaging fits my style of being communicated as well.

I do know that they have fewer local calling areas than other services, but since I rarely go outside of Houston these days (unless it's out of the country) would this make a difference. To be safe, I'd probably get the 100 roaming minute plan.

What is call quality like? What is real use like? Dropped-calls, etc.

Thanks!

Does anyone have Cricket? They seem to have made a big splash here in Houston and I have several associates with them, but I'd like to know some other thoughts about the service.

Most of my calling is done locally and when I had cellular service before (600M) I was ALWAYS going over and racking up huge overage charges, so the unlimited calling makes sense for me. Also the unlimited txt messaging fits my style of being communicated as well.

I do know that they have fewer local calling areas than other services, but since I rarely go outside of Houston these days (unless it's out of the country) would this make a difference. To be safe, I'd probably get the 100 roaming minute plan.

What is call quality like? What is real use like? Dropped-calls, etc.

Thanks!

a friend of mine has cricket. i went with her when she bought the phone and plan and they have u fill out this sheet with little info. if i remember correctly all they only asked for was her name and address, lol.

anyway, it's unlimited minutes which i think is awesome, but she always complains about dropped calls.

she says that she can only talk for about 10-15 minutes b4 the call gets dropped. however, she says this doesn't happen as much during night time hours, which is werid but who knows, but this girl travels a lot so that could also be part of the reason. from my understading cricket is best as a local phone.

There's a 99% chance that Cricket doesn't have its own network -- it's piggybacking off another network like Amp'd Mobile and Virgin Mobile do.

If you can figure out (maybe just ask them) what network they use, you'll have a better way to judging call quality and reliability. You can probably also use the coverage maps from the carrier's web site.

Here's a Wikipedia entry explaining how MVNOs work.

There's a 99% chance that Cricket doesn't have its own network -- it's piggybacking off another network like Amp'd Mobile and Virgin Mobile do.

If you can figure out (maybe just ask them) what network they use, you'll have a better way to judging call quality and reliability. You can probably also use the coverage maps from the carrier's web site.

Here's a Wikipedia entry explaining how MVNOs work.

I know they are a part of Leap.

• 4 weeks later...

I took the leap (pun intended) and got a Cricket phone. The most interesting part of it all was that I was in and out of the shop (with activated phone) in about $15.

I have unlimited messages, text, picture messaging, and 100 local roaming minutes (for when/if I slip out of my local coverage area) and my entire bill is about $68. Always the same, never changes.

So far, it has worked absolutely well with few dropped calls, good voice/sound quality, and a great phone (Motorola SLVR 7).

All in all, I am pleased.

I know someone who had it and they said the coverage sucks. He said it had lots of dropped calls and coverage was especially bad indoors compared to other companies. Cricket does have its own network. He has switched to another network.

Well I live and work in the 1960 area (up around I45) and it has excellent coverage and sound quality. They do not blanket the entire USA which is why I opted for a plan that has extra coverage outside the area. All in all, until I am ready for my iPhone and until ATT works out their kinks in their network, I am with Cricket.

Well I live and work in the 1960 area (up around I45) and it has excellent coverage and sound quality. They do not blanket the entire USA which is why I opted for a plan that has extra coverage outside the area. All in all, until I am ready for my iPhone and until ATT works out their kinks in their network, I am with Cricket.

I have At&t and it works fine around town. I have a friend who lives near where you are and have not had any problems using my phone indoors or outdoors in that area.

After years with Cingular, I just switched to Cricket (tomorrow will be one week). I got the Slvr (sp?) phone, have unlimited everything (including internet), and am very surprised to say I love it!

Regarding the non-coverage area(s), the sales gal told me if I needed extra coverage minutes (ie: planned on going out of town) then I could buy them whenever.

Now I'm constantly sending picture texts to my daughter, and having a load of fun with it. Yesterday's peak moment was being able to take a picture of a huge mass of splattered seagull poo (I think was) intended for me. Luckily, the seagull was a bad aim. And thanks to Cricket, I got to share that moment and bond with my daughter.

Welcome aboard. I love the unlimited text messages, especially photo messages which I post automatically on my blog using Mojungle.

Only downside is that I wish I had unlimited email, as it seems now all my family and friends have moved to that with their Crackberries and do not have (or get charged for?) text messages.

Archived