Company Buys Land In Uptown

lockmat

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
I'd rather see them downtown/midtown/montrose/museum district/medical center than uptown.

No argument here. It would seem with more condo towers going up in Uptown, that's less of a chance that more will go up Downtown.

Well, there is more demand to have them in uptown than downtown. Downtown and Midtown will get theirs.

Obviously there is more demand in Uptown, but could it be because Uptown is much better at courting development of this type? They (Uptown) seem to be much more aggressive.

Obviously there is more demand in Uptown, but could it be because Uptown is much better at courting development of this type? They (Uptown) seem to be much more aggressive.

If has nothing to do with the aggression of one area over another. Uptown is nicer/cleaner, has fewer bums, far and away better retail offerings, and is more central to the greater Houston area's office employment centers. The kind of people that can afford and will buy highrise units are the kind that will prefer Uptown.

Despite all of those factors about uptown, nothing really attracts me there unless I have to go to the Galleria (which I actually hate). I guess I'm not in the demographic though. But I would like to live in a highrise near the medical center / museum district or downtown someday.

I'd rather see them downtown/midtown/montrose/museum district/medical center than uptown.

Well, I cannot afford either, but I'd rather see a more towers dowtown than in Montrose/Museum district. I think the fact that Montrose/Museum doesn't have ginormous towers is a plus.

Despite all of those factors about uptown, nothing really attracts me there unless I have to go to the Galleria (which I actually hate). I guess I'm not in the demographic though. But I would like to live in a highrise near the medical center / museum district or downtown someday.

Yep, I've got my own angle on living a good ways up in the sky, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Uptown. I'd much rather overlook the Port of Houston's turning basin or a massive rail yard.

Yep, I've got my own angle on living a good ways up in the sky, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Uptown. I'd much rather overlook the Port of Houston's turning basin or a massive rail yard.

That would be cool. There seems to be a fair amount of activity in the east end, but no highrises that I am aware of.

If has nothing to do with the aggression of one area over another. Uptown is nicer/cleaner, has fewer bums, far and away better retail offerings, and is more central to the greater Houston area's office employment centers. The kind of people that can afford and will buy highrise units are the kind that will prefer Uptown.

I should have made myself more clear.

My point was that Uptown seems to be more aggressive in keeping a "nicer/clean appearance, thus they attract more development. Certainly that's a deliberate tactic by the Uptown association.

Retail is obviously on a different planet in Uptown vs Downtown, but I believe some of that has to do with the above. As far as Uptown being more centralized... I can't argue with that.

Who cares?

I guess nobody knows specifics about these THREE proposed towers? Or does anyone w/ a paid subscription have info they can relay to us?

Exactly. We are looking for the specs for these 3 proposed condo towers. Jeez, why I am such a cheapskate... I could subscribe to HBJ :lol:

My point was that Uptown seems to be more aggressive in keeping a "nicer/clean appearance, thus they attract more development. Certainly that's a deliberate tactic by the Uptown association.

Retail is obviously on a different planet in Uptown vs Downtown, but I believe some of that has to do with the above. As far as Uptown being more centralized... I can't argue with that.

Many years ago, the Uptown Management District undertook a project to relocate overhead powerlines to out-of-the-way places, bury some of them, and install all the chrome street fixtures. They had a tax base able to support all that, and the way that buildings, pacels, and streets were laid out, it wasn't nearly as difficult as it would be to undertake something similar in Midtown.

If Midtown had alleys like Galveston does on its blocks, they'd have a pretty easy job before them. But to try and do what Uptown did would cost them more and they don't even have the same tax base to work off of. That doesn't mean that they aren't being aggressive, just that they have more limited resources.

Also, the bums are just hard to get rid of. Midtown has a Greyhound station; Uptown does not.

Retail doesn't do as well on 1.4-acre blocks, especially when most have highly divided ownership. The layout is a barrier to entry.

If Midtown had alleys like Galveston does on its blocks, they'd have a pretty easy job before them. But to try and do what Uptown did would cost them more and they don't even have the same tax base to work off of. That doesn't mean that they aren't being aggressive, just that they have more limited resources.

Good point. The tax base in Uptown must be through the roof in comparison. Certainly there is a huge tax base in Uptown with all of the neighborhoods and condo's, but how does that tax base compare with Downtown.

Well, there is more demand to have them in uptown than downtown. Downtown and Midtown will get theirs.

hey kjb434, long time no see. welcome back (if you've been away). i may have not been reading threads that you've been in, but it seems as if you've been away. good to see you.

back on topic....more towers...yeah!! uptown has the restaurants, the shopping, groceries, memorial park nearby. i can see why it is readily more desirable than downtown.

back on topic....more towers...yeah!! uptown has the restaurants, the shopping, groceries, memorial park nearby. i can see why it is readily more desirable than downtown.

Uptown is certainly more desirable to live than downtown. My question is... Aside from the logistics, why does uptown seem to be more proactive than does downtown?

Uptown is certainly more desirable to live than downtown. My question is... Aside from the logistics, why does uptown seem to be more proactive than does downtown?

only a portion of downtown is a tirz, right? the arches and landscaping in uptown, the small compacted area and the tirz all contribute to the current interest (and let's not forget "demand"). i'm not sure that the uptown district is more proactive than downtown interests. i think that uptown has achieved critical mass. critical mass, coupled with high demand, is what is primarily driving uptown development (IMHO). the uptown tirz has created a great setting (and incentives) for much of this activity.

sorry, i didn't use gary's quote which i was responding to. i've added it.

In what terms do you mean "driving?"

I don't think you mean this, but "downtown" can't build skyscrapers themselves. Developers do, of course.

In terms of "amenities" such as street signs, roads quality, trees and beautification in general, I think downtown has done a fine job. I was on Pierce last week and even that road looked nice with what looks like additions like trees planted and pedestrian based light poles.

Specifically, what would you suggest they do to help "drive" it in a better direction?

In what terms do you mean "driving?"

I don't think you mean this, but "downtown" can't build skyscrapers themselves. Developers do, of course.

In terms of "amenities" such as street signs, roads quality, trees and beautification in general, I think downtown has done a fine job. I was on Pierce last week and even that road looked nice with what looks like additions like trees planted and pedestrian based light poles.

Specifically, what would you suggest they do to help "drive" it in a better direction?

i mean driving as in pushing, directing, encouraging, making.......insert the synonym of your choice.

"they" can do nothing to change the location of downtown or its demographics. nor can "they" create demand in downtown as it exists in uptown. the galleria area has an international reputation. there are amenities here that will not soon be duplicated downtown. people who buy million dollar homes in the sky (homes that are in demand uptown) require these amenities. it doesn't matter how much streetscaping you do, developers go where their product will sell best. also, i could say that profit is what is "driving" the boom uptown.

if finger's residential tower downtown sells well, i think we could see other developers get proactive and drive more downtown development.

Archived