The Judys

Gary

Here's a link http://thejudys.com/ to a great little punk trio from Houston who did pretty well for themselves. I thought some of you might remember them, and enjoy reminiscing about a cool little band that was one of the catalyst for minimalist punk rock.

I remember these guys from my old stompin days in LA, and alot of people were talking about them. Of course back then we had no idea where they were from, but I can tell you we would have never guesed Houston

Anyway, I 'm not sure how many here have any clue to these guy's, but if you do, let's talk about em. They deserve mention.

Here's a link http://thejudys.com/ to a great little punk trio from Houston who did pretty well for themselves. I thought some of you might remember them, and enjoy reminiscing about a cool little band that was one of the catalyst for minimalist punk rock.

I remember these guys from my old stompin days in LA, and alot of people were talking about them. Of course back then we had no idea where they were from, but I can tell you we would have never guesed Houston

Anyway, I 'm not sure how many here have any clue to these guy's, but if you do, let's talk about em. They deserve mention.

I remember the Judys quite fondly. I still have 2 of their tapes.. Moo and Washarama. I found the song guyana punch disturbing ....in a fun way. But the song about Milk was great!!

washarama400x399.jpg

Here is the album I clearly recall seeing on the rack at SoundWaves over on Broadway/Bellfort at the height of the New Wave/Punk scene here in Houston. Although I never got to see them live I'm glad they broke the mold and headed WEST to make the big time. Google says there was a reunion event at one time. My personal dream came true when I saw & met The B-52 clan at a small club in West Wallywood. I melted. Cindy Wilson & Kate Pearson are mine. :wub:

washarama400x399.jpg

Here is the album I clearly recall seeing on the rack at SoundWaves over on Broadway/Bellfort at the height of the New Wave/Punk scene here in Houston. Although I never got to see them live I'm glad they broke the mold and headed WEST to make the big time. Google says there was a reunion event at one time. My personal dream came true when I saw & met The B-52 clan at a small club in West Wallywood. I melted. Cindy Wilson & Kate Pearson are mine. :wub:

Last year I had a buddy from So Cal bring that album down, and man it was in mint condition. I uploaded it from my LP player to my computer, and have loved it ever since.

As simplistic as these guys were, it was really brilliant.

They were pretty big at old Doobie High School. I think my buddy up in Buffalo still has their albums.

If he's got thier albums, tell him to hang on to them a little whle longer. My buddy (same one mentioned in above post) bought "Washarama" in Hollywood for $85.00 last year, so thier albums are fetching a little change. Of course it was in great shape, but nevertheless was surprisingly expensive.

SoundWaves over on Broadway/Bellfort at the height of the New Wave/Punk scene here in Houston. Although I never got to see them live I'm glad they broke the mold and headed WEST to make the big time. Google says there was a reunion event at one time. My personal dream came true when I saw & met The B-52 clan at a small club in West Wallywood. I melted. Cindy Wilson & Kate Pearson are mine. :wub:

The Judys played with the B-52's in 81 I believe. Can't remember exactly but I believe that's right.

Speaking of the B-52's.... They were really a neat act with great experimental symmetry. I also loved how they weren't afraid to keep it pop without selling out to much.

B00002632M.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This was the culprit for my New Wave whirlwind (and most of the other locals in our nabe). Still have all my old fan club memorabilia. Best thing to ever come out of Athens, Ga. Broke the mold baby! No looking back!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_B-52's

They really were trend setters among the rising punk/new wave bands. Nobody really sounded like them, they almost had a jazz/country swing to thier pieces.

Man, watching that short documentary and listening to their tunes makes me feel like I am 16 again.

The Judy's, Joe King Carasco (sp?) and The Dishes!

Yeah, what ever became of Joe King?

One of the funniest shows I ever saw. A real blast! Still have one of his albums. :D

Good times!

The Judy's, Joe King, PainTeens were part of the primer before a heavy coat of Black Flag, X and Butthole Surfers etc for me.

That is tooooo funny. I wondered who would be brave enough to name those guys. Wonder what became of Jello Biafra?

I still have all of my British hardcore punk albums. Soundwaves was the only place in town that carried that sort of stuff (around 1979-80) that I know of anyway. I got the rest at Rhino Records in LA. had to import in to Houston myself. Courtesy of Muse Airlines. What is really funny is people thought this was bad music then? It's pussycat compared to now. :wacko: I think I smell clove cigarettes.

Jello Biafra??? Are you serious??? After DK he had his own band, then played with some backing metal band (think hes still doing it), but mostly is just a great speaker. He was doing it in DK, (thats how he got in so much trouble), but is really cashing in now just like Rollins. I still remember a record store in Pasadena that sold alot of punk...cant remember the name. The Judys were though, a fun band..even if a little silly...annnd if you like them you would love Fri night happy hr at the Continental for The Ringwalds...80`s cover band from 730-945

Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, DRI, Surf Punks, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Plimsouls, Psychedelic Furs, I still listen to Rollins Band every now and again. I hear The Ringwalds have been getting a little press recently also.

I get my New Wave mixed up with Punk sometimes though.

Texas Tapes & Records?

You got it!

Oh my God! Now thats going back into the memory vaults. It was where the funky Fiesta store is I am almost certain. It seemed huge inside with the tshirts and blacklight posters way up high on the walls. You could by tickets and the big bong or whatever. Warehouse Records & tapes was the big one for those closer to the DT area it was right across the street from The Tower Theater. I remember when Zeppelin lickets went on sale and the place got trashed. people stormed the joint and crashed the windows, etc. >:)

Texas Tapes & Records?

Yep, that's it, my cousin basically lived there. That place had EVERYTHING ! Apparently it is still there, but not nearly like it used to be. They got rid of all the paraphenalia and blacklight posters, they just focus on music now. This is from what my cousin is telling me now.

Yep, that's it, my cousin basically lived there. That place had EVERYTHING ! Apparently it is still there, but not nearly like it used to be. They got rid of all the paraphenalia and blacklight posters, they just focus on music now. This is from what my cousin is telling me now.

Texas Tapes is long gone. The store is now a thrift store. The people that owned it sold it back in the 80's and took a small part of their inventory to a smaller shop across the street and called it Puff and Stuff. I actually bought a few albums from the owners private collection. They were going through some hard times. The store mainly consists of t-shirts, dart supplies, zippo lighters and paraphenalia. There is also an adult room in the back.

Texas Tapes & Records?

Damn, TT&R and The Judy's in one thread. I'm having major flashbacks.

I too still have my Judy's stuff including a 45. God I miss them. If I could make a ringtone I would. That would be pure joy everytime my phone rang.

• 2 weeks later...
Damn, TT&R and The Judy's in one thread. I'm having major flashbacks.

I too still have my Judy's stuff including a 45. God I miss them. If I could make a ringtone I would. That would be pure joy everytime my phone rang.

They remind me of the good old days of Rice U radio was it KTRU.

There were 2 girls that did the punk show that started around 8pm on Fridays and went on until like 1am?

One's name was Hope and the other? What became of them???

You could call and always get through the line and request stuff like Bela Lugosi's Dead or Nina Hagen's - New York, New York. They played "Johnny are you Queer" by Josie Cotten quite often. I never hear that cool stuff any where in Houston, anyway. :(

Archived