Wald Transfer & Storage Co. At 812-820 Live Oak St.

kahluamilk

Not sure this is the right place to post this but the Wald sign sits on top of an old warehouse on Live Oak and Rusk (East Downtown).

Can anybody tell me more abt it? What is it advertising?

Wald moving and storage

Guest Marty

I won the guessing game #6 with this cool building in the Houston photo section just type in "guessing game # 6" in the search function there is some more info on the building in that thread also.

Edited by Marty

I don't have any info on it, but I do have a photo:

Thanks for that pic. This sign has been around for a long time. It's a miracle it is still upright! Just think how far the world has come from an advertising standpoint. No internet in them days. :)

• 9 months later...

The Wald family owned a moving/storage company for many years in Houston. May have been an affiliate of Mayflower moving. I've always seen the two names together. One of their storage buildings is/was located a block west of 59South/610 loop interchange. You can see it from westpark tollway.

Edited by NenaE

A lot of commercial places produced them. Just another form of advertising.

July 29th, 1945

"Greetings from back home Billy! Were so glad you decided to serve your country in this war after what those japs did to us at Pearl Harbor. So how do you like your new home aboard the USS Indianapolis? We know how afraid you are of sharks honey but don't worry, you're safe on that ship. Well write back soon, hope you enjoy this postcard with a picture of a warehouse!

July 29th, 1945

"Greetings from back home Billy! Were so glad you decided to serve your country in this war after what those japs did to us at Pearl Harbor. So how do you like your new home aboard the USS Indianapolis? We know how afraid you are of sharks honey but don't worry, you're safe on that ship. Well write back soon, hope you enjoy this postcard with a picture of a warehouse!

:lol:

July 29th, 1945

Thanks for the postcard, mom! I hung it on the wald next to my bunk so I see it whenever I go to sleep or wald up. Some of the guys have decided that it is full of Betty Grables, so it has become quite popular. Wald you send more pictures of industrial structures that might be full of women? I got to go, this wald war won't fight itself. Wald back soon. Your walding son, WALDo.

P.S. WALD WALD WALD WALD WALD WALD.

USS Indianapolis (CA-35) was a Portland-class heavy cruiser of the United States Navy. She holds a place in history due to the notorious circumstances of her demise, which was the worst single at-sea loss of life in the history of the U.S. Navy. After delivering critical parts for the first atomic bomb to be used in combat to the United States air base at Tinian Island on July 26, 1945, she was in the Philippine Sea when attacked at 00:14 on July 30, 1945 by a Japanese submarine. Most of the crew was lost to a combination of exposure, dehydration, and shark attacks as they waited for assistance while floating helplessly for several days. Indianapolis was the last major U.S. Navy ship sunk by enemy action in World War II (the submarine USS Bullhead was attacked by Japanese aircraft with depth charges and sunk on August 6, 1945).

• Dramatizations of the Indianapolis sinking and aftermath have been adapted to film, stage, and television. The most famous fictional reference to the Indianapolis occurs in the movie Jaws in a monologue by actor Robert Shaw.

• The title was changed to Wald Sign Live Oak St. & Rusk St.
  • The title was changed to Wald Transfer & Storage Co. At 812-820 Live Oak St.