Brookfield Expanding In Downtown

jt16

I got out of a meeting with the leasing manager for Brookfield. She told me that they were in talks with a large tenant (Devon) to build another tower. It was listed on this site earlier that the greenspace in front of Continental Tower would be the location. She said they were now looking at building on the parking lot just east of 45 and North of the Met Parking Garage. She also confirmed that the Heritage Plaza is going ahead with their parking garage on the adjacent surface lot. They signed two large tenants and are now in a position to finally begin construction.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news! I'm kind of glad they are going with that surface lot across from the Met garage instead of the grassy area in front of Continental. At one point Enron considered that lot for its second building, and later there was some plan for a condo tower there I think. I know we have this discussion about every proposal, but given the visibility of this location on the western skyline, I really hope they go with something spectacular looking. (Not that I really expect it.) This is the perfect location for that "Houston icon" building.

I agree, this lot would produce a front row view. Hopefully, whoever develops it realizes the significance of that location to the favored westside skyline photographers.

As for the parking garage, I assume you meant cattycorner, as opposed to adjacent to Heritage Plaza, jt?

EDIT: Nevermind. You meant the two adjacent parking lots.

I agree, this lot would produce a front row view. Hopefully, whoever develops it realizes the significance of that location to the favored westside skyline photographers.

As for the parking garage, I assume you meant cattycorner, as opposed to adjacent to Heritage Plaza, jt?

EDIT: Nevermind. You meant the two adjacent parking lots.

That's correct. Brookfield is making a major push in Downtown Houston. They recently purchase 1201 Louisiana, and are supposedly making a run on the BofA Tower.

The tenant interested in a new building is Devon. Supposedly they weren't too keen on the proposed building next to the Continental Tower and is pushing for the parking lot location instead.

Cool news! Like Subdude (and apparently like Devon as well), I'm happy to hear they are going in the direction of building on that surface lot instead of on the nice, landscaped area in front by the Continental Center. We have too many surface lots to use up before we start tearing up green space for buildings! ;-)

If it's true about Devon being the primary tenant, they may not have been too keen on the location by Continental Center because they would have been almost completely surrounded by Chevron.

I got out of a meeting with the leasing manager for Brookfield. She told me that they were in talks with a large tenant (Devon) to build another tower. It was listed on this site earlier that the greenspace in front of Continental Tower would be the location. She said they were now looking at building on the parking lot just east of 45 and North of the Met Parking Garage. She also confirmed that the Heritage Plaza is going ahead with their parking garage on the adjacent surface lot. They signed two large tenants and are now in a position to finally begin construction.

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

Great news. :-) Hopefully they will build soon!

I doubt they would take the risk on something very tall, but with the high-profile it should at least be architecturally distinctive. Since that side of the skyline gets great lighting at sunset, I would like to see something almost prismatic looking, like the Hearst Tower in New York.

Hearst01_t346.jpg

Good news about building the "gateway site" before the 1500 Smith St site. I really hope this is true. Devon is already a fairly large tenant in one of the Allen Center Bldgs now (bldg named after the company). Doesn't Brookfield own that bldg?

I hope they cheat their way into being a tall building by doing an Atlanta. Have 55 stories, but have the spire go really high. Like this tower:

180px-BOA_Atlanta_1.jpg

LOL, I'm with you on that one! That thing may as well be chicken wire wrapped around a frame--but it gets the effect done!

Mobile, AL just opened the RSA Tower--35 floors...over 700 feet (I think closer to 800 actually)! It has a huge see-through spire (at least 100') at the top a la Bank of America Atlanta. Bank of America Charlotte's crown is also about 100' tall.

Good news about building the "gateway site" before the 1500 Smith St site. I really hope this is true. Devon is already a fairly large tenant in one of the Allen Center Bldgs now (bldg named after the company). Doesn't Brookfield own that bldg?

Yes, Brookfield does own the Devon Energy Tower in Allen Center.

LOL, I'm with you on that one! That thing may as well be chicken wire wrapped around a frame--but it gets the effect done!

Mobile, AL just opened the RSA Tower--35 floors...over 700 feet (I think closer to 800 actually)! It has a huge see-through spire (at least 100') at the top a la Bank of America Atlanta. Bank of America Charlotte's crown is also about 100' tall.

To me that Atlanta design looks very dated.

Of course, the "Freedom Tower" (how I wish they would change that name) is the king of the meaningless spire skyscrapers.

07wtc2.l.jpg

Very true. I hope that the builder and architect realize that this building, however tall or short, will be among the most photographed buildings in the city. So PLEASE make it a good one.

That other location would have made anything less than 50 stories be practally invisible in every direction. The new location puts the tower on Houston's front stage.

Very true. I hope that the builder and architect realize that this building, however tall or short, will be among the most photographed buildings in the city. So PLEASE make it a good one.

That other location would have made anything less than 50 stories be practally invisible in every direction. The new location puts the tower on Houston's front stage.

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

That may be a realistic attitude. But I don't want to look at the prospect of a new building in that location with dread until something is official, so I'll just cling to my hope and hope for the best. Actually, as long as the building isn't a total eyesore, I'll be happy. Even if they only build another insignificant 30 story boxy looking building in that spot, it will make the view of downtown look wider at a distance from the southwest and northeast.

Downtown looks bigger when viewed from the north, northwest, west, south, southeast and east, but from the southwest and northeast I think it needs a little padding. And unless I'm wrong about the surface lot they are talking about, a building in that spot will make an impact. At a distance, good buildings and bad buildings look about the same (unless they are really tall or have a sloped roof) I'm talking about viewing the entire downtown skyline as if it were one giant blob from a few miles out. This building will make the blob bigger where it's most needed.

The Discovery Park proprosed tower will also help make dt look bigger (from the south and north). I love it when they build towers on the edge of DT.

Glad to hear that they're going ahead with the garage for Heritage Plaza. The two large tenants they've signed are EOG and Deloitte. They had discussed including a residential tower component, but I believe that's out. I also believe there will be room to develop something else later on.

The Brookfield building will be glass, and I believe most people (ok, maybe not people in this forum) will be pleased. Won't be a concrete box. I believe the lead tenant's broker had some influence on location. That one-acre of green space was going to be very tight, even though it was designed as a site for a future building. That was before we needed larger spaces for larger floorplates.

Glad to hear that they're going ahead with the garage for Heritage Plaza. The two large tenants they've signed are EOG and Deloitte. They had discussed including a residential tower component, but I believe that's out. I also believe there will be room to develop something else later on.

The Brookfield building will be glass, and I believe most people (ok, maybe not people in this forum) will be pleased. Won't be a concrete box. I believe the lead tenant's broker had some influence on location. That one-acre of green space was going to be very tight, even though it was designed as a site for a future building. That was before we needed larger spaces for larger floorplates.

Thanks for the info, Bach.

If you know that the building they are concidering will be glass, do you also know how tall it will be? The Brookfield website states that a building of 700,000 sq ft can go on that lot. I'm assuming 700,000 means 30-40 floors. Do you think that because they need larger floorplates, that could mean that the building will be shorter rather than taller?

Archived