Development At Spring Cypress & Old Louetta

elwoos

They have begun clearing land in the space next to Memorial Springs subdivision. Does anyone know what that is slated to be? Another nail, laundry, liquor store, etc. strip mall. Oh wait, there is already one of those across the street.

They have begun clearing land in the space next to Memorial Springs subdivision. Does anyone know what that is slated to be? Another nail, laundry, liquor store, etc. strip mall. Oh wait, there is already one of those across the street.

Isn't that where the new KISD high school is going?

Isn't that where the new KISD high school is going?

I believe from what I read in the paper that the new HS is slated for the south side of Spring-Cypress.

This would be the land wedge between Windwood Presbyterian Church to the west and the strip center to the east. You would have look on Google Maps to see how far south this drops. Actually, I believe that you can tell on the map site that the property south of Spring-Cypress and the north property, which did have common ownership, was originally a squarish shape. Look for the outline of the trees and easements. Kinda interesting.

Nonetheless, I too am wondering why they are doing small scale, selective tree cutting.

Anyone?

They already built 5+ houses there.

The houses are to the west of where they are cutting some trees in the Memorial Lakes subdivision (this maybe the wrong name) at Spring-Cypress and Huffsmith-Kohrville.

The James family owned / owns property near the gully on both the northside (tree cutting side) and the southside of Spring-Cypress. The southside has Mr. James' vet clinic and is the side that I think will have the HS.

I just find it interesting that the tree cutting looks selective since there is no bulldozing yet. Also, I don't see the cows that usually roam this property although their hay is out there in an adjoining pasture.

My 2 cents.

• 7 months later...

At the site slated for the new schools, plural, they have not yet started any clearing. The site is slated for two new Klein I.S.D. schools, one being a high school, the other a middle school, both on the same site between the strip center and the church. All Klein High School students will be moved to the newly finished school when it is completed, while Klein High School, if they decide to keep the name on that particular site, either gets completely overhauled, or entirely rebuilt. No word on what middle school students are getting relocated to the new middle school. The new schools are slated to be open in the fall of 2010. No word on weather the new high school will be dubbed the new Klein High School and stay the home of the Bearkats, or if we'll get a shock out of it and have to get used to some new name. E-mail me at doerrekid22@gmail.com for any further information.

All Klein High School students will be moved to the newly finished school when it is completed, while Klein High School, if they decide to keep the name on that particular site, either gets completely overhauled, or entirely rebuilt.

Goodness, the last word I heard from two members of the Klein ISD Bond Proposal Committee was that this entire issue is still up in the air, and there is a distinct possibility that nothing will be happening at Klein High School. You make it sound as if it is a done deal. Do you have inside information from Dr. Cain, or is this just wishful thinking on your part?

Having recently talked to Dr. Cain, the bond is not yet set in stone and won't be until early March. However, the "rebuild" of KHS seems to be top priority. Most people are unaware that their "rebuild" only consists of a few buildings. This has been stated at their steering committee meetings as well as other places Dr. Cain has spoken. The main building, Aux Gym, auditorium and small engine (I believe) are the ones to go. There was talk of the high rise going, but last I heard I was told no.

Dr. Cain stated that he would love to hear input from community members about the bond. There are a number of those who are unhappy about it, but they are talking amongst themselves. Until our school board hears major concerns, nothing will change. He spoke at a community meeting last week and is doing another one tonight, I think in Memorial NW. He also says he is happy to come speak to any group, any size about these issues, just ask.

If you'd like more info, I found it here...

www.kleinforall.com

They had links to the KISD website and bond info.

Thanks for the link!

When you wrote:

Most people are unaware that their "rebuild" only consists of a few buildings. This has been stated at their steering committee meetings as well as other places Dr. Cain has spoken. The main building, Aux Gym, auditorium and small engine (I believe) are the ones to go.

I'm curious as to how many other buildings are on the Klein High campus. At Klein Oak, we have the main building, an auditorium, a gym and that's about it. What other buildings would there be left after that?

Also, on the bond proposal, there was an item to build or re-build the FFA building larger than it is now, and the reason given was that during FFA's Project Show, a tent has to be set up to accomodate the extra people for three days. It sounded kinda silly that because there were a lot of extra people for a three-day period that a new building and parking lot had to be built. Why not just move it to another school, perhaps one not quite so land-locked as Klein High? Was this item removed yet from the proposal?

I was all in favor of the original idea proposed during the last bond election that two new high schools would need to be built to accomodate the additional growth occurring in the northern region of the district, but the new plan to only add a wing onto the already overcrowded Klein Oak, and to rebuild/renovate/replace Klein High instead just doesn't make any sense.

I'd really like to see an alternate proposal that I heard about this weekend at a parent's meeting. They were proposing that two new high schools be built, and everything at Klein High be demolished except for Klein Memorial Stadium, which would have added capacity built onto it.

Reason being was that apparently security is seen as a big issue at Klein High, the fact that the campus is too "open" to outside visitors and that the school is surrounded by mostly businesses. An upgraded stadium for the entire district to use would be a better fit for the current site of Klein High than a high school.

Also, parking for students and teachers has more than reached its' capacity, and removing the students & staff to another larger site would make more sense than the current situation.

and everything at Klein High be demolished except for Klein Memorial Stadium

not everything The Pavilon (1991), and the Music and Fine Arts Building (1998) will be kept.

or if we'll get a shock out of it and have to get used to some new name.

If that Happens I hope it will be named Klein Falls High School

Again, the current plans ONLY take down 4 buildings. The others you mention are not in the plans. Of course, they could get there and something could "accidentally" happen to another building - which wouldn't surprise me. That might explain why it's costing $132 million to rebuild 4 buildings - not even 1/2 of the KHS campus, yet it costs $130 to build a whole new HS elsewhere. Why not just build 2 new high schools, give one to KHS, save a few million now, truly help the overcrowded situations we have in the north, and either sell the KHS corner (bad corner for a HS) or make it into some type of multi-purpose facility for the whole district with great sports fields, ample parking, do whatever they want to the ag stuff...

Wait - that would call for actual thinking and good planning. Oh well.

They have revised the plan and it now includes 8 buildings. The High Rise, built in 1979 is now included as are some more of the surrounding buildings. One of the included buildings was built in 1992. There are only 4 buildings that will remain now; Choir, Music, Pavillion and Natatorium.

Really interesting how the "orginal plan" was to demolish and rebuild 3 of the buildings for $130M, but now they can to 8 buildings for the same price.

• 1 month later...

The bond has to pass first. My children went to Klein H.S. and it was just fine. As long as the Klein H.S. rebuild is in the enormous bond request I will vote "NO". $800M is a lot of taxes going up.

As long as rebuilding Klein H.S. is in the enormous $800m bond package I'll be voting against it. Does everyone realize how much our taxes are about to go up?

• The title was changed to Development At Spring Cypress & Old Louetta

Archived